A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project: Aquamarine  (Read 779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WizardOfTheStone
« on: July 03, 2009 07:00:16 PM »

In 2006, while vacationing in the North Carolina mountains, We stopped along the road at one of those "Gem Mines". Sure most are like you buy a bucket and sift through sand or mud or even bucket of all rocks..

But his was a real gem mine.. Aquamarine in fact.. and we decided to pay the fee and take the trek back into the woods. Down a slope we noticed workers heading for the hills sort of speak. This indicated that they had just placed some small charges or explosives through out an area of where the aquamarine vain was located.

Boom.. or more like a large pop.. and rubble flew everywhere, other then in our general direction.. Then a small backhoe move in and dragged up the debris left over from the explosion.

At this point everyone who registered for the dig was able to enter into the pit and search for the Aquamarine. Most of the stone was pale light blue/green.. and really didn't consists of anything desirable.. Until I noticed this one stone with a dark are running through it.

Image by Wizard (Raw Aquamarine From Gem Mountain, Spruce Pine, NC)

Not a bad find.. the stone look as clear as water, but with some small inclusions running through and about the inside of the stone. We gathered up our tools and I packed away the minerals in my plastic coffee cans... and headed home..

Several weeks past and I finally got the nerve to tinker with the stone. Originally I wanted to have someone cut the stone out and facet it to some degree. But after speaking with my wife, we decided to free hand the stone just to see what would happen. Mind you I was taking a chance that I could damage it while in the shaping stages.

Image by Wizard (Here you can see where I have been slightly cutting away the host or raw martial from around the clear but darker part)

Image by Wizard (Cutting and shaping as not to disturb the are which I was after)

Image by Wizard (Finally something to work with.. I had cut away the raw and unusable part)

After a bit more shaping and cutting I ended up with this:

Image by Wizard (Note the inclusions inside the clear area.. The faded or blurry part was due to me trying to level one side on my diamond blade Dremel bit. when the stone is wet.. the true colors come through)

Now its all a waiting game.. trying to find the right grit for sanding and polishing the stone.. My wife loves it and what I have done.. One thing I could have used is a dop stick.. because everything was free hand.. My wife feared I would hurt myself due issue with my hands.

I think at this point if I'm unable to get the dop wax.. and sanding pads, I'll see if one of the gem Mines will polish this up for me next time I'm down that way.. it's been  brought to my attention that using a regular fine gain sand with a mixture of water and some polishing compound, will polish these stones.. Soon I may test this option and edit the post afterward.

To Be Continued..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 07:06:07 PM by WizardOfTheStone » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdanorth
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009 04:15:15 AM »

How much fun is this? I didn't know you could do things like this, now I want to go - although having to trek inland is a little scary! I don't like to get too far from the ocean!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewelry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
april again
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010 01:04:07 PM »

I am really interested to see what you do with the Aquamarine..it is my favorite gemstone and I am super jealous of your trip! How fun that must have been! Maybe someday Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abij
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010 01:53:29 AM »

i agree with your wife - that's a beautiful stone and the way you've cut it really shows it off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Fake Eyelashes
Does This Eyelash Curler Work For Almond-Shaped Eyes?
Beauty Test Lab: Nail Painting Will Never Be the Same
How to Create the Perfect Rose-Bronze Makeup for Summer
Are These Single-Use Polish Pods as Convenient as They Say?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...