A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pattern storage ideas?  (Read 1013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

norahkate
« on: July 03, 2009 03:12:51 PM »

So I have what some may call an unhealthy amount of sewing patterns and a relatively small craft room.  I tried boxes and bins, but I need easier access to them or they end up a mess when I search through for just that right one.  Any thoughts? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009 02:15:05 PM »

What about scanning the fronts of your patterns, putting the pics in a folder that coordinates with the box that those specific patterns are in, then when your looking for something, your not digging thru the entire box, your just pulling out a folder and looking thru the pages.  Kind of like your own personal catalog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

norahkate
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009 05:15:43 PM »

i love this idea!   thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FriendlyJas
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009 08:08:51 PM »

So, you probably already have a solution, but here is what I do:
I use milk crates. I have 3 milk crates. One for adult women's patterns, one for children's patterns, and then one for everything else. I have hanging file folders in the milk crates. I put each pattern in its own plain file folder and put the pattern number and size on the tab. I can also avoid trying to stuff the patterns back into the tiny packets this way and put my brown paper cut puts of the patterns in the folders. These are then organized and placed into the hanging file folders. I can get 5 to 8 plain folders into each hanging file folder. I can get about 75 patterns in each milk crate. The milk crates (the plastic kind you buy at Wal Mart) also stack easily out of the way and everything is nice and neat. I have been tempted to cut the pictures off the front of the pattern envelope and decopadge them to the front of the folder, but it seems just as easy to thumb through and peek inside. I also write the size of the pattern on the tabs and keep them very well organized. (All shirts together, all sleeveless casual dresses together, etc.) Even though I have about 120 patterns, I never have to thumb through more than 15 to find exactly what I want at that moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011 11:35:04 AM »

I know you have to have a storage solution by now but I thought I'd share mine because it has been working so long.  I bought 2 large plastic totes that were big enough to hold 2 rows of patterns, side by side.  Each pattern is filed by company and then pattern number.  The pattern company mostly have their pattern number along the top edge which is critical to my system.  When I purchase a pattern I download from the web the front and back cover, naming the file by the company and pattern number, McCalls 2398f & McCalls2398b.  My small laptop has all my patterns with yardages in it so I can bring it with me to the fabric store if something sparks my interest.  They are also sorted by type.  Super easy to find everything.

When I am sewing on a pattern, I have smaller plastic bins for my active projects.  I limit myself to 3 projects at a time so I am sure to finish them.  If I bought fabric for a certain pattern, I pin a note of the pattern name on the fabric so that I remember my plan. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 07:13:07 PM »

i looked back at this and had to laugh.  thank you all for the great ideas (and they are) but i realize now that the problem is not a lack of methods, the problem is that i am way too disorganized to set up and maintain any of these options.
my patterns have made their way onto two floor to ceiling bookshelves and they are somewhat sorted by size.  if nothing else, i have two shelves that hold my favorite patterns (one for women and one for babies/kids) and one just for doll clothes.  i think this is about as good as it will get for me.   Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Fantastic Turkey Au Gratin with Sherry
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
How to Do Chestnut Stuffing at Home
How to Prepare the Perfect Bread Stuffing at Home
How to Do a Delicious Turkey Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...