A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Shirts Printed with the Yudu  (Read 7698 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009 , yudu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2009 09:45:08 AM »

I decided that I wanted to make shirts for the kids who come in every morning and take care of my classroom animals and track the weather. I also wanted to make shirts for the kids who did the recycling, but I ran out of time. And, I volunteered to make the team shirts that my trivia team wanted for the nights we play in the charity tournaments. It was almost 50 shirts (knocked down to 25 when I eliminated the recycling shirts), and I figured that the Yudu would be so much easier than cutting out freezer paper stencils Wink

This is the very first shirt I printed (white ink on a green shirt):

Then, I started messing up the next few shirts. So, I scrapped the screen and started again. I did a bit of reading, and realized that I needed to flood the screen after each shirt, so the rest of the Critter Care Crew shirts came out okay.

So, with renewed confidence, I moved onto shirt design #2 (white ink on a light blue shirt):

I was ready to tackle the team shirts, which had a large design on the back, and a smaller design on the front. Most were orange on yellow, but a few were orange on white. This is my shirt after I wore it and it landed in the laundry pile. So, it's a bit wrinkled...

The back:

The front:

I was really impressed with how nicely it printed the letters. The only detail it didn't quite get was the very small spiral that dotted the letter "i" on the back of the shirt.

I designed the images using Microsoft Publisher and copied them onto transparencies at Staples. The spiral image was in a shade of dark grey, but it still blocked the light well enough when burning the screen.

I did a few things to make things go a little more smoothly for me, since I was working alone:

- I cut the emulsion sheet to the size I needed. I found that I had a much easier time working with a smaller section.
- I bought a bunch of cheap plexiglass sheets (11" X 14") and sprayed them with adhesive spray. They were just tacky enough to hold the shirts in place, and they were small enough to fit inside the youth-sized shirts (size L and XL... I didn't try anything smaller, yet). I made a stack of shirts with the plexi inside, so I could just plop the next one in place without any fuss.
- I flooded the screen, and then used a small, plastic putty knife to scrape the ink off and used it to print the shirt. Then, I raised the screen, used the putty knife to scrape the ink off again to flood the screen before I swapped out the shirt. By scraping and re-using the ink on the squeegee, I was able to use a lot less ink.

Ironing the shirts to heat-set them just about did me in. I did the 16 shirts for the morning helpers, but gave my trivia teammates their shirts with instructions on how to heat-set their shirts.

I'm definitely happy with my results, and I'm glad I got myself a Yudu. Now that I've gone through the process, I'll be able to plan things better for my next round of printed items Wink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 09:47:49 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
fusbdgt
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 10:10:58 AM »

they look fantastic, and thanks for the mini review on the machine, was kinda thinking about getting one myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009 11:05:37 AM »

they look fantastic, and thanks for the mini review on the machine, was kinda thinking about getting one myself

Thanks! I have a bunch of ideas for shirts for school next year. Our recycling program could use a bit of financial support (we weigh all of the paper we recycle and the kids have already lost 2 scales... I think they recycled them) so I was thinking of making a bunch of shirts to sell to raise some cash. And, maybe some re-usable tote bags. We have a big science night, and I'm thinking they could be a big hit.

Right after I bought my Yudu, but before I opened the box, I read through this thread, http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=290075.0 , which gave me some helpful information. I also watched this video (before I bought the machine), http://www.whatdoyudu.com/videos/default.aspx?id=3 , to see how involved it was.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009 11:30:45 AM »

cute! they came out really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009 01:18:00 PM »

Thanks! I was a little worried about using the transparencies, because someone in the other thread said that they had a hard time getting them dark enough. So, a friend at work was going to use her Cricut to cut some black Contact paper for me, but then her kids got sick and then she got sick. So, since time was short, I gave the transparencies a go. Worked like a charm, and I even got some of the details that she was afraid her Cricut wouldn't do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Motleymind
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009 03:05:23 AM »

Thanks! I was a little worried about using the transparencies, because someone in the other thread said that they had a hard time getting them dark enough. So, a friend at work was going to use her Cricut to cut some black Contact paper for me, but then her kids got sick and then she got sick. So, since time was short, I gave the transparencies a go. Worked like a charm, and I even got some of the details that she was afraid her Cricut wouldn't do.

You can spray your transparencies with a toner darkener. If you can't find that, get some clear non-uv resist spraypaint. That works too. A lot of people are making hacks for the Yudu to try to get multiple shirt production out of it. I find that amusing, as I am a screen printer by trade. I have a build your own screen printing press kit on my website diyTeeShirts.com. I haven't made a hack yet to use Yudu screens with it, but I can't think of a reason you'd want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009 05:53:33 AM »

Thanks for the info, Motleymind! I've never heard of either of those products, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Where might I find them?

So far, it hasn't been a problem. And, since I don't expect to go into business as a shirt maker (unless I sell some shirts to raise money for my recycling program at school), I should be okay. The kids were pretty thrilled with their shirts, defects and all Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 10:51:57 PM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 03:44:14 PM »

Wow! Thanks so much! I certainly never expected this Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombie
hm. i'll fill this in when i think of something clever...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010 08:55:52 PM »

Those all turned out really well. I like the turtle design. Me and my hubby saw the infomercial to the yudu last week and have been drooling over it ever since. I'm surprised at how crisp the letters look here- now I definitely want that machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thai Fishcakes
Hoisin Chicken Wraps Recipe
Asian-Steamed Salmon Recipe
Asian-Style Poached Chicken Recipe
How to Make a Sriracha Side Dish with Bok Choy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...