A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My goldfish octopus dinosaur DIY wedding (pic heavy)  (Read 8490 times)
Tags for this thread: monster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trickypink
« on: July 03, 2009 06:23:28 AM »

My husband and I just had our wedding on June 26th. I'm an artist, and he's a craft and fashion loving punk, so we tried to do as much as we could ourselves so everything would be meaningful to us, fun, and within our budget (we're also college students, and pretty broke). We got most of our inspiration from the internet - craftster, offbeatbride, indiebride, etc, with lots of suggestions and last minute help from artist and musician friends. It all basically turned out kick ass, and we've been told repeatedly that it was the best wedding our friends and family have ever been to:D So I just have to share the things we and my friends made. Here's the pics!

The front and back of our wedding invites - I drew them myself with brush and ink, and we had them printed at kinkos on 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock. We scoured old sci-fi comics, Japanese monster movie posters, and awesome rock posters for ideas. We decided we liked the idea of being a 50 ft couple stomping through the city, chasing after the movie monsters. The back has lanterns (he proposed and first asked me out at the summer lantern festival) and octopus tentacles, because we both love sea creatures and regularly geek out on wikipedia reading about random animals.

This was our save the date card, we saw some photobooth STD cards on flickr and loved the idea.

Here is my wedding dress. This is the first real item of clothing I've ever made! I was super excited about it. The fabric has a print of little orange squids all over it. I knew I wanted something simple and comfortable that I could wear an awesome petticoat under. I used Pink Hickey's Dragon Dress tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252249.0, which was super easy to follow and turned out awesome, though I did make the skirt a full circle skirt instead.

The wedding cake! My friend from class made it for us, based on our invitation. It was soooo delicious too, chocolate with whipped raspberry mousse filling. I didn't get to see it until the day of the wedding, so it was a surprise. I think it's the best cake ever:D

My friend Debbie made the cake topper. I love how the horns are poking through the top hat, and the bride looks like she's gonna eat him. And the fact that she went crazy with all the stereotypical bridal jazz, white satin and pearls and hearts! It was also too big for the cake, lol, so it sat next to it looking fabulous anyway.

We kept up with the whole lantern theme, using mason jar lanterns instead of bridesmaid's bouquets, and hung tiny jars with candles and paper lanterns from the trees, as well as sitting on the tables.

Finally, since I'm a ceramic artist, I made porcelain mugs for the bridal party as gifts, a jar for the gift table for people to put secret notes to us they'd written, and bathroom tile coasters as place settings and favors for the wedding.

There was more stuff, but I think that's enough! You can see more in my member gallery, or see the whole wedding on flickr www.flickr.com/nichandloriwedding

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009 04:29:25 PM by trickypink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unique recycled ceramics, prints, and hand painted pottery.
http://fanfareandfoofaraw.etsy.com
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 06:39:12 AM »

Everything is fantastic! I particularly love your invitations--the two of you rampaging through the city! Your dress turned out beautifully too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009 07:16:34 AM »

everything looks fantastic!
The cake is wonderful and the toppers are brilliant!~
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
brodysmom
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009 08:24:20 AM »

WOW! Your wedding looks great. This has to be the most creative wedding ever. I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Hickey
Pheonix Princess

I sew in high heels...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009 11:01:15 PM »

Omg!!! I'm so honored! You're wedding looks like it was a total blast which is what it should really be about instead of how much was spent. I totally have that same squid fabric and I've been holding onto it for over a year wanting the perfect thing....now I might have to make a dress inspired off of yours.  Cheesy
<33333
Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry Potter will be in my heart forever.
trickypink
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009 09:58:21 AM »

Thanks guys!

Omg!!! I'm so honored! You're wedding looks like it was a total blast which is what it should really be about instead of how much was spent. I totally have that same squid fabric and I've been holding onto it for over a year wanting the perfect thing....now I might have to make a dress inspired off of yours.  Cheesy
<33333
Laura

Dude, you have the same fabric?!? We're like crafting soulmates now, lol. Our wedding was a total blast - we both got to wear awesome outfits that really felt like us, were surrounded by all these little details that reminded us of so many good memories together, and had amazing friends and loved ones there to support and love us and share it all. Not to mention getting to hear over and over how it was the best wedding they'd ever been to, and why couldn't their wedding have been like ours? We still haven't really gotten over our excitement:D

If you make a squid dress, be sure to post it, I want to see! I think your sewing and tailoring skills are far superior, so I want to see what yours looks like. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unique recycled ceramics, prints, and hand painted pottery.
http://fanfareandfoofaraw.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Change Has Come Book Trailer
Venkat Ramaswamy and Francis Gouillart Talk About The Power of Co-Creation
The Last Invisible Boy Book Trailer
Sean Covey Talks About The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
The Playbook Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...