A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,212
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New bedroom for my daughter's birthday.  (Read 35737 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009 01:38:09 PM »

What an awesome job! You deserve a special treat for your hard work and dedication!

I have a question: how did you install those little cups on the desk?

also, for other folks, if you are like me and not THAT crafty (like, to build a super awesome loft bed!), Wood You furniture has something similar. I saw it last week. It had the drawers in the steps. I'm thinking of converting the steps in our house to drawers.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Esjay82
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009 02:18:27 PM »

wow! i love it! What a clever mummy u are!! and what a lucky daughter u have!!! when i was young i had a bed with a desk underneath.. i loved it! i loved how neat it all was with drawers and places to store my stuff. this one u've made is brilliant.. i love the steps instead of a ladder.. i agree with everyone else the colours are awesome! really well done!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geniusNOTatWORK
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009 02:41:44 PM »

I'm turning 21 in March and I freaking want this set up!!! Ok, not the exact thing but just like, a nice little work area for crafting and drawing and such!!! I love it! Good job!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchyemm
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009 02:55:55 PM »

That looks amazing - what a lucky girl, and what a fantastic crafty mum she has  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009 04:01:06 PM »

Okay, here is a pseudo tute to explain some of the steps I took in building this thing.  Feel free to PM me with specific questions.
BTW the whole family (mum, dad, 2 kids have all been on top of it at once, that little baby is not going anywhere!)
Step One
I was lucky that Emily had an existing wooden slatted bed. But that would be easy enough to construct I think. I just had to take the legs off hers.

Step Two
I used some heavy duty stud screws that were 125mm hex screws and screwed pieces of  2 x 4 pine into the wall studs at the height I wanted.  (pre drilled all my spots and it was still absolute all the force I could use to drive those suckers home)
I made sure that the head end of the bed screwed into the corner and then the next two studs as well.  As you can see from this pic, that meant it extended past the bed frame, but I covered that up later. I had the same problem with the piece that went the length of the bed as well. Although I used that to my advantage as you will see later.

Step 3
This was the maddest bit coz I got that bed base up onto the wall all by myself coz my hubby wasn't home and I was on a mission.   I then screwed down through the frame of the base into my 2 x 4s.  Can't remember what length screw, maybe 70mm?  Phillips head screws made for pine anyway.

Step 4
I added the leg at the foot of the bed, I screwed through the frame in every direction I could and I used angle brackets as well.  It was a piece of 4 x 4 that I got the timber yard to cut to length for me.

Step 4.5
I used a piece of pre-cut melamine to stop her rolling out of bed,  I used liquid nails and screwed it from the inside of the bed frame. 

Step5
I built the stair unit separately. I used 19mm mdf for this, except for the step supports which were pine.  Iworked out how many steps I wanted and then worked out how far apart they had to be.  It is basically a book shelf in its construction if you know what I mean.

Here is a drawing from the foot end of the bed to show what I did.

Step 6
For the desk underneath I basically did the same thing as for the mattress (screwing pine supports into the stud wall)  The top was pre cut melamine.

Step 7
I used thin mdf for the false ceiling above the desk and used a set of lights I got from Ikea which are powered from a power point.

Step 8
I bought pre fab drawers and runners and drawer faces and put them in as per instructions they came with.  I decided on no handles as they would be a tripping hazard, that is why there is a gap at the top of the drawer so you just reach your fingers in to open them.

Step 9
I covered up any mistakes with lots and lots of paint.

I  wonder if this makes any sense?  Feel free to ask specific questions and I will do my best to help.

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/seebee65/LoftBed.htm
This link was useful and they have larger bed examples too.

Cheers
Carolyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spectrumsparksie
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009 04:09:41 PM »

I have a question: how did you install those little cups on the desk?
The whole system is from Ikea. cheap and cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morgana le fay
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009 07:04:50 PM »

You didn't let her see it until it was done? I hope didn't give her any hints either.

I wish I could have seen her reaction on her birthday. What a great present!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2009 07:31:32 PM »

I think the stairs/drawers are SO great!  I want to build a loft bed like this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckbethislady
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009 08:04:22 PM »

This is beautiful!! Great Job!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodamiss
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2009 08:18:24 PM »

Totally awesome!!! I would have loved that as a kid!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
How to Make a Crystal Pendant
How to Make a Beaded Necklace
Yves Behar Argues Swiss Design No Longer Exists
Latest Blog Articles
Keep Calm and Treat Mum
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...