A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hello. Newbie in need of some help  (Read 905 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knifftyknitter
« on: July 03, 2009 12:42:23 AM »

Hello all. I am an avid knitter but I have been dipping into some of this scrap booking. My oldest daughter recently gave birth to my first grandchild! I have made more blankets for her than she will ever know what to do with. It has been a long time since I had a new baby to shower with love and give all my love to, so NEEDLEss to say, I have 2 tons of pictures of him. I went to a Michael's in town, looking for new photo albums and ended up looking at scrap book supplies with one of the clerks. I have no idea what I am doing, what i need or anything! THe sweet clerk told me about this site. So here I am! If anyone has any advice to pass my way, please do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 07:22:56 AM »

Congratulations on your new Grandbaby.  I am so glad the clerk mentioned over here. I love my other paper crafting boards.  Those girls can spend some serious money on scrapbooking.

The new members get loped into it.  Pointing to me. Smiley  I am an old timer now and really frugal.  I want your new Grandchild scrapbook to be perfect. I don't want you to be overwhelmed.

You need a nice scrapbook.  You can pick any size.  I know a 12x12 can be overwhelming.  They also make 6x6, 8x8 etc..

You will need cardstock to mat your photo's.  Don't buy construction paper or anything that is not acid free.  That is very important. 

You will want pretty scrapbook paper.  There are so many cute designs for babies out right now.  JoAnn's & Michael's are both having huge sales this week on scrapbook paper.  JoAnn's is having a huge sale on paper crafting.

Start off simple with your scrapbook.  Lay out your paper, mat your photo's.  Then you can build from there.  Dollar Tree, Big Lots and all them always have cute scrapbook supplies at a steal.  Michael's is doing a huge clearance right now for the new lines so some of the items are really cheap.  WalMart is also having a huge sale.  I think Target will start soon too.  Scrapping is like the fashion industry it has seasons.

Basic Supplies:

Paper: Cardstock and Scrapbook paper. You can also print out your own paper.  With the sales this weekend it would probably be cheaper to buy paper.

Adhesive's: This is a huge one.  We don't want the scrapbook to fall apart. Double Sided tape is always a good choice.  Most scrapper's I know absolutely love TomBow's MultiGlue.  I think it is really good too and cheap.

Pens: Used for journaling. I love Micron's and Zig's. Both are acid free. Great beginner pens and cost effective.

Scissor's: Good paper scissors.  You know I use Dollar Tree scissor's they don't fail me. 

Some will tell you to invest in a trimmer.  It is a bit of a good idea.  If you have a quilting ruler and rotary cutter you can do a nice job. 

You will need something to crop your photo's. Yes, rotary tool will work.  It is easier with a cutting system.  I hope that did not come off as elitist, lol.  Some are hard to use and took me a while to master.  I use Coluzzle or Fiskar's Shape Cutting System.  You can go to YouTube and get really good video's to see how they work.

Build really slow.  Don't buy everything at once.  Enjoy chronicling your new GK's life. 

2Peas Message Board is full of scapper's who are really talented.  I don't post over there but I like to look at the LO's.  SplitCoastStampers is another good resource. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
hopew
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 10:26:17 AM »

Here are a couple of great baby album kits that come with everything you need to make the album including instructions.

Album: http://thescrappygourmet.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37_723

gallery of each page: http://www.thescrappygourmet.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=544

Hope
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Light and Color in Your Photography
Practicing Patience in Photography
Exploring the Ordinary in Your Photographs
Using Light in Portraits
The Five Visual Draws
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...