A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
334 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sushi!  (Read 6364 times)
Tags for this thread: sushi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

malmow
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009 10:37:06 AM »

I've made sushi before but it wasn't nearly as pretty as yours! What kind of crab meat did you use? I used to work at a Japanese steakhouse that had tasty imitation crab meat and I haven't found anything that's nearly as good at Kroger or WalMart. I couldn't find powdered wasabi, either, just the kind that's in a tube and I didn't care for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
p00xie
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009 12:38:15 PM »

mmmmmmm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009 01:27:03 PM »

I've made sushi before but it wasn't nearly as pretty as yours! What kind of crab meat did you use? I used to work at a Japanese steakhouse that had tasty imitation crab meat and I haven't found anything that's nearly as good at Kroger or WalMart. I couldn't find powdered wasabi, either, just the kind that's in a tube and I didn't care for it.

I had to go to an oriental grocery to find my wasabi powder. It was expensive but I never use much, so I figure it doesn't matter. I actually found pickled ginger at Albertson's, and it completely made my day. Plus, it was only like $1.25 for a jar.  As far as the imitation crab, I've been using the vacuum sealed stuff from Albertson's. It's not too bad, but last time I used it I bought 1/8th of a pound of lump crab meat from Fresh Market and it made a huge difference.

Oh, and pinkleo, I've found that if anyone says they don't like sushi, they've never had sushi. And that gross stuff from chinese buffets is NOT sushi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009 06:13:03 PM »

Gorgeous! They look delicious and beautiful. Greatly shaped, too.

I love my sushi with cream cheese and random veggies, too. Creativity works, even if it's not super-traditional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009 01:04:22 PM »

I think it's time for me to run out & get some stuff to do this! Feeling 'food crafty' lately!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009 01:47:17 PM »

i'm on my way over for dinner! these look yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
I Sew Cute

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009 08:21:49 AM »

Ok...I've since made california rolls & veggie rolls, but when I went to the grocery to buy salmon...they told me that their meat wasn't 'sushi grade'...

I was wondering if you are able to buy 'sushi grade' fish at your local supermarket... or did you just buy whatever was available? Makes me wonder where the restaurants are getting their stuff...they probably have it shipped in directly to them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
olive_juice
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009 09:30:40 AM »

Ok...I've since made california rolls & veggie rolls, but when I went to the grocery to buy salmon...they told me that their meat wasn't 'sushi grade'...

I was wondering if you are able to buy 'sushi grade' fish at your local supermarket... or did you just buy whatever was available? Makes me wonder where the restaurants are getting their stuff...they probably have it shipped in directly to them.

We have a really fancy grocery store (as weird as that sounds) in baton rouge called the Fresh Market, and they sell sashimi (sushi grade tuna). Smoked salmon is already sushi-grade because it's smoked as well as preserved in brine, that's why everyone eats it with cream cheese on bagels and crackers and stuff.

I'd suggest calling around to local grocers to see if they have it. Seems like someone around there is bound to. But no, never ever ever buy non sushi-grade fish! (side note, the japanese use raw chicken in some of their sushi!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009 12:15:39 PM »

I have always wanted to make sushi. i hope you are still going to make that tute because i would really like to know how to make some  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009 12:39:54 PM »

We have a really fancy grocery store (as weird as that sounds) in baton rouge called the Fresh Market, and they sell sashimi (sushi grade tuna). Smoked salmon is already sushi-grade because it's smoked as well as preserved in brine, that's why everyone eats it with cream cheese on bagels and crackers and stuff.

I'd suggest calling around to local grocers to see if they have it. Seems like someone around there is bound to. But no, never ever ever buy non sushi-grade fish! (side note, the japanese use raw chicken in some of their sushi!)

Thank you for the info! I know just where to try to find it now... we have a fabulous upscale market called Dorothy Lane & I just bet they have it there! *digging out phonebook now*  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Museum Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...