A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sushi!  (Read 6240 times)
Tags for this thread: sushi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« on: July 02, 2009 06:52:43 PM »

I'm a big fan of sushi, especially when I make it myself. I was especially proud of this batch. Oh, and that's a cutting board from ikea but it makes a lovely sushi table. ha ha.

There's a california, a philly, and some other traditional rolls but as usual a lot of them are improvised. The fourth roll from the left has roasted red peppers, cream cheese, and crab for example. Even though it's not traditional, it was delicious!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009 07:01:39 PM »

now I'm even hungrier!!!  I want to steal some through the computer!!!  lol

these do look delicious.  I've always wanted to make my own sushi since it's kind of hard to come by where I live.

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009 07:04:22 PM »

*droool*

Tongue Tongue Tongue Must have sushi...sooon!

Your's looks delish!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
tomico
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 07:07:17 PM »

Yummy! It is pretty prevalent where I live but any time you order it it seems there really is never enough. I have friends that have sushi parties every once in a while. There is always enough then, but it never has a chance to leave the kitchen, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009 07:55:09 PM »

Is sushi cheaper to make than it is to buy (lol). Looks delicious, I'll have to try the peppers, crab, and cream cheese combo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
olive_juice
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009 08:08:45 PM »

Thanks, guys. It was delicious! It's almost uncomfortable to get used to having enough sushi to go around, cause there never seems to be enough when we order it. I started making my own because I lived in a tiny town with no sushi, but I've kept at it because it's so much fun! I forgot to mention that, after the photo, i drizzled some spicy mayo on the third from the left. That stuff makes any roll taste fantastic, and is a cinch to whip up!

Is sushi cheaper to make than it is to buy (lol). Looks delicious, I'll have to try the peppers, crab, and cream cheese combo!

Sushi is MUCH cheaper to make than to buy, once you've accumulated all the equipment. You need specific sushi rice, nori, a mat, and rice wine vinegar and then you're good to go! Fillings can get costly, but not near as costly as in a restaurant. The last time I made ten rolls and used sashimi, smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado, shrimp, and a ton of other stuff and it cost me about $20. I also bought way too much of the meat fillings, so that drove up the price quite a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Asheri
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009 09:10:46 PM »

I've gotta try making some sushi if it's that much cheaper-- thanks for the info!

Yours is very attractive and professional-looking. You've inspired me. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009 09:29:22 AM »

There really never is enough sushi to go around when you order it.  If it's that much cheaper, I may have to try making it myself.  Your looks so yummy my mouth is drooling!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
Kristen81
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009 10:49:30 AM »

That looks wonderful!  I have a HUGE craving now...

Question!  When you make your rolls do you cut the nori sheets in half?  Mine always end up too fat with too much rice and not enough filling and using a whole sheet of nori may be my problem...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
olive_juice
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 11:04:25 AM »

Question!  When you make your rolls do you cut the nori sheets in half?  Mine always end up too fat with too much rice and not enough filling and using a whole sheet of nori may be my problem...

Nope, I keep them whole but that's because I tend to overstuff my rolls with filling. I tried using half sheets, but for some reason they didn't hold together as well. It really is cheap. I invite friends over to help me eat it all, and try to eat the ones that won't refrigerate well first.

Just to give you an idea, when buying the meats (like sashimi, smoked salmon, crab, shrimp, etc) get MUCH less than you think you'd need. I usually get 1/8th lb of each three I buy and have plenty left over. A half an avocado provides about three rolls worth of filling as well.

If anyone is curious about the process, I'd be happy to take pictures and make a sort of sushi tute. :.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Kristen81
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009 11:10:49 AM »

I'd love a sushi tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009 12:09:46 PM »

Yes, please share a tute or a sushi rice recipe if you're willing! I make my own as well (because yes, it's WAY cheaper than eating out), but still haven't found the "perfect" rice recipe, so I'd love to hear how you do yours. Looks delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009 02:15:58 PM »

oh my god that looks so good.  i had a roll with crispy fried salmon skin in it the other day and i cant stop thinking about it, it was so good!!!

i'd love a tute. i have a sushi kit i got for christmas but ive never tried it. do they have the ingredients at a regular grocery store or do you have to go to a specialty shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009 04:28:38 PM »

nat_attack- I can find all the ingredients near me in regular grocery stores. 

I like to make it with avocado and a bit of cucumber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
olive_juice
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009 04:37:09 PM »

do they have the ingredients at a regular grocery store or do you have to go to a specialty shop?

One can usually find everything at a grocery store (unless you want specialty fillings, of course), although I have problems finding nori anywhere but an oriental grocery. Weird, because all the stores I go to have sushi rice... Well, wal mart has hand roll size, but I'm not a fan of hand rolls.

I'll be sure to make a tute and provide some nice filling ideas, too! It may not be until the tenth, which is when I think I'll be making some next. I'm excited just thinking about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009 05:49:31 PM »

yummy!!!! i could eat that entire batch all by myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009 08:20:09 PM »

Yes. Now I'm hungry! Thank you  Tongue

Hubby and I were watching an Alton Brown the other night.... "Wake Up Little Sushi"... and decided we had to try to make our own. We have all the stuff already. Just haven't tried yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009 12:48:36 AM »

oh I would love to try and make sushi !
I have never ate it :s
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melazdee
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009 06:10:01 AM »

oh please post a sushi tute! i've been wanting to try sushi but i've always heard its hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009 08:50:36 AM »

YUM!!!!!!
I need to make some sushi; too bad I'm the only one I know who likes it (which I guess isn't all bad because I get to eat it all......but food is better when can share the love Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malmow
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009 10:37:06 AM »

I've made sushi before but it wasn't nearly as pretty as yours! What kind of crab meat did you use? I used to work at a Japanese steakhouse that had tasty imitation crab meat and I haven't found anything that's nearly as good at Kroger or WalMart. I couldn't find powdered wasabi, either, just the kind that's in a tube and I didn't care for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
p00xie
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009 12:38:15 PM »

mmmmmmm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009 01:27:03 PM »

I've made sushi before but it wasn't nearly as pretty as yours! What kind of crab meat did you use? I used to work at a Japanese steakhouse that had tasty imitation crab meat and I haven't found anything that's nearly as good at Kroger or WalMart. I couldn't find powdered wasabi, either, just the kind that's in a tube and I didn't care for it.

I had to go to an oriental grocery to find my wasabi powder. It was expensive but I never use much, so I figure it doesn't matter. I actually found pickled ginger at Albertson's, and it completely made my day. Plus, it was only like $1.25 for a jar.  As far as the imitation crab, I've been using the vacuum sealed stuff from Albertson's. It's not too bad, but last time I used it I bought 1/8th of a pound of lump crab meat from Fresh Market and it made a huge difference.

Oh, and pinkleo, I've found that if anyone says they don't like sushi, they've never had sushi. And that gross stuff from chinese buffets is NOT sushi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009 06:13:03 PM »

Gorgeous! They look delicious and beautiful. Greatly shaped, too.

I love my sushi with cream cheese and random veggies, too. Creativity works, even if it's not super-traditional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
I Sew Cute

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009 01:04:22 PM »

I think it's time for me to run out & get some stuff to do this! Feeling 'food crafty' lately!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009 01:47:17 PM »

i'm on my way over for dinner! these look yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
I Sew Cute

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009 08:21:49 AM »

Ok...I've since made california rolls & veggie rolls, but when I went to the grocery to buy salmon...they told me that their meat wasn't 'sushi grade'...

I was wondering if you are able to buy 'sushi grade' fish at your local supermarket... or did you just buy whatever was available? Makes me wonder where the restaurants are getting their stuff...they probably have it shipped in directly to them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
olive_juice
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009 09:30:40 AM »

Ok...I've since made california rolls & veggie rolls, but when I went to the grocery to buy salmon...they told me that their meat wasn't 'sushi grade'...

I was wondering if you are able to buy 'sushi grade' fish at your local supermarket... or did you just buy whatever was available? Makes me wonder where the restaurants are getting their stuff...they probably have it shipped in directly to them.

We have a really fancy grocery store (as weird as that sounds) in baton rouge called the Fresh Market, and they sell sashimi (sushi grade tuna). Smoked salmon is already sushi-grade because it's smoked as well as preserved in brine, that's why everyone eats it with cream cheese on bagels and crackers and stuff.

I'd suggest calling around to local grocers to see if they have it. Seems like someone around there is bound to. But no, never ever ever buy non sushi-grade fish! (side note, the japanese use raw chicken in some of their sushi!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009 12:15:39 PM »

I have always wanted to make sushi. i hope you are still going to make that tute because i would really like to know how to make some  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009 12:39:54 PM »

We have a really fancy grocery store (as weird as that sounds) in baton rouge called the Fresh Market, and they sell sashimi (sushi grade tuna). Smoked salmon is already sushi-grade because it's smoked as well as preserved in brine, that's why everyone eats it with cream cheese on bagels and crackers and stuff.

I'd suggest calling around to local grocers to see if they have it. Seems like someone around there is bound to. But no, never ever ever buy non sushi-grade fish! (side note, the japanese use raw chicken in some of their sushi!)

Thank you for the info! I know just where to try to find it now... we have a fabulous upscale market called Dorothy Lane & I just bet they have it there! *digging out phonebook now*  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
olive_juice
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009 12:44:50 PM »

I have always wanted to make sushi. i hope you are still going to make that tute because i would really like to know how to make some  Grin

I really am sorry about taking so long, guys! I moved houses and all my sushi stuff somehow got lost. I'm thinking it's at a friend's house, but that's a few hours away. I'm hoping to replace it all next time I get paid, so *hopefully* you guys'll have a tute soon! Come to think of it, I am getting paid today... *scheme*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
chocolate_luvver

IT'S CHOCOTASTIC! =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009 06:43:21 PM »

well i can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009 05:44:33 AM »

I found sushi grade fish! It was a lot more expensive than regular tuna & salmon. The salmon I found isn't smoked. Totally raw baby! LOL!  Cheesy

Will be making up a bunch for my inlaws soon when they come to visit!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
olive_juice
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009 07:04:13 AM »

I found sushi grade fish! It was a lot more expensive than regular tuna & salmon. The salmon I found isn't smoked. Totally raw baby! LOL!  Cheesy

Will be making up a bunch for my inlaws soon when they come to visit!  Wink

awesome! Take pics, take pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
olive_juice
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009 09:15:11 AM »

Alright guys, I've re-purchased all the supplies (except for the fish) and set a dinner party date for sunday, so there's no looking back! Sushi tute will be arriving sunday night/monday. Woot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
YennaMuffin
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009 10:32:49 PM »

Sushi is so pretty and cute...and yummy for that matter.

I just wish I didn't feel like I'm eating a goldfish everytime I take a bite.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please don't look at my blog if you're a current swap partner... You may ruin a surprise Smiley

PINTEREST: http://pinterest.com/yennamuffin/pins/
BLOG: http://yenna-muffin.blogspot.com

PrivateSwapFriendly!!!
Kristen81
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009 11:05:43 PM »

No goldfish in veggie sushi  Cheesy   Mushrooms, asparagus, cucumber...or even chicken/beef are nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009 10:19:57 PM »

There is a store, not too far from my house, that is known for fresh produce, meats, and fish.  I buy tuna and salmon from them from time to time.  Thus far, I haven't tried to use their fish in sushi, but we'll get tuna steaks and grill them medium-rare, and we have yet to get sick.  Smiley  The staff at the fish counter have told me that all their fish is caught fresh the morning of sale, and one of them once refused to sell me tuna, stating that that day's catch wasn't up to their standards.  So I'd be comfortable buying fish there and using it in sushi.

Now I want sushi, and it's 1:19 in the morning. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyKid
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009 10:03:42 AM »

I absolutely love sushi but have never tried making it myself.  I think I want to give it a try pretty soon.  I saw sushi making kits at barnes and noble the other day.  do you think it is worth it to buy one of these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009 12:26:51 PM »

I absolutely love sushi but have never tried making it myself.  I think I want to give it a try pretty soon.  I saw sushi making kits at barnes and noble the other day.  do you think it is worth it to buy one of these?

Not really. If you go to any grocery store they'll usually have a rice paddle and a bamboo mat in a package together, and that's all you need, aside from nori, rice and fillings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Rocked The White Cape: Gwyneth Paltrow Vs. Sienna Miller
How to Make a Baby Chicken Costume
How to Make Stylish Yarn Bangle Bracelets
Best Dressed Celebrities: Kate Hudson, Blake Lively, Alessandra Ambrosio
Retail Stores That Offer Student Discounts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...