A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soon to be hurt craftster-- how to mod clothes so I can dress myself??  (Read 779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 02, 2009 06:51:39 PM »

Hi everyone!

This isn't the standard sort of question, but if anyone can answer it (with sparkle and panache, no less!) it will be you.

I'm about to have shoulder surgery soon to get several bony bits taken out and several metal bits put in, which will leave me quite incompetent for at least 8 weeks.  Thankfully, surgery will be on my left shoulder and I'm right handed, but since I'm going to be in a shoulder immobilizer for that time, I'll still be one handed.

I've already made and purchased some long elastic waist skirts, because they are a lot easier to use than pants with buttons or flies (or, heaven forbid, button flies!) but I'm a bit stuck on what to do for shirts/tops. 

I'm looking for cuteness that won't take either the 1) majority of my day to put on, or 2) the majority of my bank account to acquire.

I'm open to any and all ideas!  Thanks so much in advance!

How is it that Firefly gets cancelled after one measly season, but Tim and Eric Awesome Show has had five ?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 12:14:23 PM »

Shorts that are loose-ish and have elastic waists. Maybe some comfy pants too (i.e., pajama-pants. make or buy some solid color ones for going out - they'll look less like jammies). You never know what sort of clothing mood you'll be in.

Are there some wrap-style tops that would work?
Capes, ponchos, other things that can go over your head with one hand and rest on your shoulders.

How about really loose, flowy stuff with wide-but-short sleeves? I don't know how your left arm will be done up (cast that's awkward but could go through a really big sleeve? cast with rigid brace at the elbow and won't bend? sling?), but you might be able to get the left arm through something with a big arm hole.

Sundresses often are sleeveless and have button-up fronts. You might be able to get the left arm through the armhole, and button up the front with just your right. Or you could modify fronts of button-up dresses and tops with velcro or snaps.

Also think about how your clothes are stored. I typically hang a bunch of my stuff on hangers in the closet. It's all packed in there tightly enough that it's sometimes awkward to get items out with two hands, never mind one. Maybe stacking things on top of a dresser or over chairs will be easier for a while.

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009 12:45:30 PM »

Why not take advantage of the one-shoulder craze?  That'd leave your incapacitated arm completely free.  And there are some adorable styles out there that look like they'd be pretty easy to re-construct.

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009 12:53:13 PM »

Thank you so much bladerunner and aislynn, your suggestions have been a huge help.

My shoulder will be bandaged heavily for the first few weeks, and for eight weeks, I'll be in a shoulder immobilizer, which is basically a mega-sling.  It's got the little strap and pocket for the arm, like a regular sling, but then there's also a big strap that goes around my body to make sure there is no movement at all.  It'll be this, or a variation of it: http://www.hely-weber.com/products/501M.jpg .  Cute, no? [/sarcasm]

Ponchos are a great idea, as are the sleeveless, button front sundresses.  I live in Oklahoma, where it's really hot during the day, but can get a bit chilly at night, so there'll be a lot of use out of both of those.  They're pretty easy to make, but I'll bet I can also find a few decent items at the local vintage shops-- YAY! for the poncho craze of a few years ago!

One shouldered tops look like they'd be really easy, and that they'd work beautifully!  Perfect!

I love the idea of wrap tops, but I'd need to make very sure that once they are closed, they stay closed-- I've had "wardrobe malfunctions"  with wrap tops before, and don't think retying hastily so no one gets an eyeful will be an easy task!  On the other hand, maybe the band from the immobilizer will help me out on that one... just thinking out loud.

I really like the statement that I'll never know what mood I'll be in.  I hold nothing against sweats and hoodies, but the thought of wearing nothing but for months is depressing, and besides... they are hardly appropriate for every occasion.

Finally, thanks for the suggestion about my armoire of doom, which I suppose I REALLY need to fix.  It's an old armoire, packed with approximately six bajillion more items than it was meant to hold.  (Think Jenga, only with clothing) I think I'll start on that this weekend!

How is it that Firefly gets cancelled after one measly season, but Tim and Eric Awesome Show has had five ?!?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009 01:47:13 AM »

you could also easily make something like this

To make lace up shoes easyier, Also it is wise to think about what kind of bag you carry. because it is a pain to have to carry a bag in your only usable arm.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Tricks to Treat Your Skin This Halloween
Face Paint Techniques for Halloween
How to Get Twisted, Creepy, Witchy Nails for Halloween
Ariana Grande Makeup Tutorial
New to Wearing Makeup? This Lipstick Tip Will Help You Get Started!
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...