A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dresser drawers no dresser  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bahama_mama
« on: July 01, 2009 08:10:54 PM »

I've got 5 drawers the same size and 2 smaller ones, but no dresser.  They are wood with simple rectangle handles. What can I do with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pull over! Pull over! I can make something out of that!...Trust Me!
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009 09:47:40 PM »

Well, you could make shadow boxes with them.  Or put a hanger on the back and hang them to use for open storage of craft supplies.  Or you could knock them down and use the wood for another project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spaceboat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009 04:57:26 AM »

They might make good boxes for gardening; sorta "mock-raised beds". Now that I think about it, you could remove the bottoms of the drawers and stick 'em right in the ground - raised beds without having to build raised beds! If you don't have a lawn, you could stick them on a fire escape or a stoop.

You could also try building open storage units with them to hold your supplies, undies, etc. Find a way to attach sides and legs with maybe some 2x4s or somesuch (I can never keep my lumber dimensions straight; use a size reasonable to the weight of the drawers and the height of the unit you're building). You could paint the wood and line the insides of the drawers with some funky patterned paper to make them look nice. Try slanting the drawers a bit in the front to give it some dynamism. The only problem with this is that if you build the unit too high it will topple over (unless you want to go through the hassle of making cross-pieces, but for recycling drawers it doesn't seem worth it). You could build a larger set with three shelves/drawers and a smaller set with two shelves/drawers. Give yourself enough space between the drawers so that you can see what's inside and rummage through them easily, but not so high that the thing won't stand. I recommend putting it together with heavy screws instead of nails, just in case something goes awry. And remember that the bigger and heavier the drawers, the bigger and sturdier lumber (or, better yet, scrap wood) you'll need. Wider drawers will also be tougher to balance. [I think that this should stand...I'm considering making one myself, just to see if actually works.]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009 05:02:41 AM by Spaceboat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 10:29:55 AM »

I just made shelves for the craft room, I have a couple more than shown.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
bahama_mama
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 10:57:47 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I may make shelves with them and line them with wallpaper samples. This months DIY Ideas magazine has a project on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pull over! Pull over! I can make something out of that!...Trust Me!
bettina75
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009 10:57:52 PM »

Take the front of the drawer (with the knobs/handles) and paint or decorate them to suit your taste and hang it on the wall for a coat, umbrella or hat holder.  You can always just hang it up for decoration.
The sides and bottom would just be leftover wood for a different project.
Good luck and be sure to post pics of what you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009 01:53:41 PM »

I have seen under-the-bed storage made from old drawers. Attach castors to the bottoms and use the drawer pulls to pull them out from under the bed when needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
jeniferpi

crafting completes me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009 03:52:45 AM »

seal them for outdoor use and make planters, use them for under bed storage, paint it/repurpose it to be used as a high sided serving tray for parties. (like you could put a dip or three in the middle in an iced bowl and then surround with different bags of chips) Hang on the wall with the bottom of the drawer towards the wall for an extra shelf. Put legs on it and use for a little girls doll bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/jeniferpi

50 in 2010

I <3 photography-punk rock-tattoos-cooking-Martha Stewart-skateboarding
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Orb Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Gas Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Grilled Planet - Photoshop
How to Create an Earth Like Planet - Photoshop
How to Create an Ice Planet - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...