A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bounty of Beautiful Butterflies  (Read 3953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyndy225
« on: July 02, 2009 11:50:38 AM »

Hi Everyone!

I've been taking pictures of butterflies all spring and have a few from previous years, and I figured it was time I put them to good use. I started with printing the butterflies on transparencies to let them be double sided and let the light shine through like ClearCutCrafts2007's awesome butterflies (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=218597.0). I liked the way they came out but they missed a lot of the details, so I also printed them out on photo paper and used both!

There's also a dragonfly in there just for fun. All of the photos are mine, including the mushrooms. The backgrounds are paint samples and the items are random odds and ends from my collections. I wanted a mix of nature and shiny. Pinokeeo will recognize a couple of items that she sent me (Thanks again!). If anyone has any questions about what they see or if anyone wants to know what the different types of butterflies are, feel free to ask (I'll just be slow to reply, vacation weekend!)

Some closeups of my favorites:
The monarch:
I put the transparency over the photo on this one, gave it a cool effect that didn't work as well on the others.

The Buckeye:
The photo caught some stray hot glue, shhhh, I'll fix that later.

The Tiger Swallowtail:
The prettiest butterfly I've seen this season, I think.

I've finished all of the squares, but I have one more step planned. I'm going to put magnets on the backs of all the squares and on canvases (that's what they're lying on now) so I can put them on the wall, but still move them around and change the arrangement.

And just for fun: The monarch wasn't spreading its wings enough for me to get a really good shot from the back, but it was still beautiful and this is a much better picture than the one I used in the project.

This is my first challenge, so we'll see how I stack up. And don't forget to vote for your favorite!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009 12:13:40 PM by cyndy225 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolatte
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009 01:20:22 PM »

UMM, ALLLL of them are my favorite!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Seriously though!!! Holy cow, those are sooo awesome!! I LOVVE butterflies, love love them, and these are sooo gorgeous, I want them all! Grin

But really, since you're making me... I think the one with the hot glue on it is my favorite!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all of my jewelry : www.ShiningIsFree.etsy.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009 06:08:10 PM »

beautiful butterflies!  great use of the transparent paper..  I would never have thought of that.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 09:05:32 PM »

wow - these are fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009 08:33:59 AM »

These are seriously beautiful, and in my opinion, the full spirit of the contest. You took an original photograph and made something truly original and beautiful. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Velvetdragon

we're all mad here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009 12:44:42 PM »

Wow gorgeous! What kind of printer did you use? Where did you get the transparencies? I wish we had such beautiful butterflies come to our yard so I could take their pictures. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Who are YOU?' said the caterpillar.

'I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

http://velvetdragon.com
http://wists.com/Tserisa
http://twitter.com/tser/
cyndy225
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009 04:43:51 PM »

Thanks to all of the nice comments. I ended up putting velcro on the backs to put them on the canvases to hang up. It works better than the magnets would have.

Wow gorgeous! What kind of printer did you use? Where did you get the transparencies? I wish we had such beautiful butterflies come to our yard so I could take their pictures. Cheesy

It's all about the butterfly bush! They just can't get enough!
I don't remember exactly where I got the transparencies, I had them around from a presentation. So, either from a college school supply store, Staples, or Walmart. And the printer is my dad's. Some sort of Canon designed specifically for photos, I believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Sea Breeze Collection
5 Things to Slow Aging at Any Age
Amy Shearn on The Mermaid of Brooklyn
Waking Up in Heaven by Crystal McVea
Kid Rated. Mom Approved: Episode 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...