A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,905
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered/Altar'd Book Shrine  (Read 2836 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_book , shrine , virgin_mary  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tularosa
« on: August 18, 2009 04:31:15 PM »

This is my first attempt at an altered book--literally an altar'd book--a shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe and her reading habits.

The book is--was--a hardback novel from the '40s. All the components (the Virgin, the roses) are made from the pages I cut out of the book. I only added some gold paper, glitter, acrylic paint, and a LOT of glue.

Here are a couple of close ups:

I don't think she's reading THE good book, just a good book. Maybe some chick lit?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." - Pablo Picasso
vanessow
Zombie Hunter Buys Cheese, Causes Riot

If it ain't broke - Decorate it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 04:51:57 PM »

This is pretty cool. I have always wanted to experiment in altered books, but can't bring myself to cut.

It is a good inspirational shrine for an art room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------------
♣ \/ @ ŋ @ ♣
http://www.vanessow.com
Tularosa
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009 07:49:20 PM »

It is hard to slice into a book! Maybe choose a book that you don't like? That may make it easier. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009 10:44:17 AM »

Very Nice! How are you planning on displaying it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
Samanpka
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009 11:45:24 AM »

I've bought second copies of certain books that I wanted to rip the pages out of, but didn't want to part with. You can usually find pretty much any paperback that's ever been popular for a reasonable price on amazon.com. Charity shops are useful too, but it's difficult to find something specific in those places, and you usually end up buying loads of things you didn't go in for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tularosa
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009 03:36:26 PM »

Very Nice! How are you planning on displaying it?

Hmmm...I don't know, exactly. The outside of the book isn't altered a bit (the cover still closes and the outside edges of the pages aren't glued so you can still kind of rifle them), so I kind of like the idea of its sitting on a shelf with all the other books and no one can tell its there. Just a bit of hidden treasure?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angelicus
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009 11:12:01 AM »

I really like this. Just wondering....how did you make the roses - was it just a couple of strips of paper wrapped around each other? Anyway its really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesandstuff.wordpress.com

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
Tularosa
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009 01:58:31 PM »

I really like this. Just wondering....how did you make the roses - was it just a couple of strips of paper wrapped around each other? Anyway its really good!

Thanks, Angelicus! The roses are actually dead simple, made from a single long bit of paper: Just take a piece of paper and draw a spiral (doesn't have to be neat or even or anything. Then just cut along the spiral you just drew. Roll up your paper starting at the outside and rolling into the center of the spiral. You'll end up with the rose shape. I set my roses down in a puddle of glue on another piece of paper (then I cut them out when they dried).

I painted the paper with red acrylic paint before I cut out the spiral and I glued the leaves on separately, of course.

I hope those directions aren't too confusing!

EDITED to add: OH! I found this cool tutorial from a Totally Tutorials link that is exactly what I was trying to say:  http://dozidesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/paper-flower-tutorial.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009 09:28:45 PM by Tularosa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009 08:07:50 PM »

I love it! And it never dawned on me before that Mary's eyes always seem half-closed because she's actually squinting, in need of glasses!

vanessow - there are tons of obsolete and unwanted books (outdated textbooks, annual publications, manuals for products nobody uses anymore, really awful fiction, etc) that get thrown into the trash every day --second-hand stores don't even bother with many of them because they won't sell -- find one (Freecycle in your area would be a good starting point), rescue it, and chop away at it...It's a much better destiny for such a book than going to the landfill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Cajun Rice Dressing
How to Make Fresh Chicken Stock
How To Make Chicken Fingers
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...