A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *TUTORIAL* Morel Grocery Bag 5-piece (MEGA-PIX)  (Read 10340 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , grocery_bag , reusable_grocery_bag , folding_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009 02:33:54 PM »

Okay! Here it is: the 5 piece grocery bag.

I used another print nylon. This one should be a bit easier to make. It has fewer pieces.

To begin with, I measured the original. (After looking closely at it, I realized it was actually a 3 piece: Bag body and 2 handles)

Then, I mapped out what it'd look like ... sort of

Safeway Bag  (5 Piece)

Preparation

1.   Fold a piece of nylon fabric in half, matching selvedges. Cut a piece 18 wide by 20 long.  On the bottom edge, cut 3 squares on either side (this will make the bottom about 5 deep)
2.   Cut 2 handle pieces 3 X 20.
3.   Cut 2 bag-rack tab pieces 3 by 7.

4.   Cut 1 pocket piece 6  X 16 (That's the piece over on the left)

Sewing

1.   Pocket: Choose one short end as Top.  Double fold to enclose raw edge. Sew.

Now, fold right sides together, 2.

Now, using fold you just made, measure 5 and fold again, right sides together. (Original fold will be inside) Stitch side seams.

2.   Handles & Bag-rack tabs:

Sew handles, right sides together into a tube. Turn right side out. Flatten with the seam on one side.

Push both ends in and sew closed. If you wish, you can sew the side that has the seam. Double fold narrow edges to enclose raw edges of bag rack tabs. Sew right sides together into a tube. Turn right side out.

3.   Bag Body:

With right sides together, sew the one side of the bag and the bottom. (Not the 3 corners!) Then, add a faux seam onto the side that doesnt need a seam. (This will help later when were making faux corner seams)

Pinch corners together, matching seams, and sew to close bottom corners.

4.   Faux Corner Seams Turn bag right side out. Measure the bottom from the side seam (and the faux side seam).
From the seam, there ought to be 2 or 3 to end of bottom. Measure this amount from seam, at the top, on both sides.  
Make 2 faux seams, the length of the bag, on both sides (All 4 corners)

5.   Bag Top:  To determine where to place pocket, fold a front or back in half, using faux corner seams as a guide. Mark with a pin, then youll add your pocket (which youve folded in half to determine the center)

while the pocket is still inside out, match raw edge tops of back piece of bag and pocket at center of back piece.
Front of Pocket should be facing wrong side of Back Piece. (Itll work, trust me) Double fold top to enclose raw edges.

6.   Bag Rack Tabs: Fold tabs in lengthwise, with seam at the top, and pin mark the centre. Align centre pin with centre of bags side. Attach bag rack tabs.

7.   Handles Fold handle pieces right sides together, lengthwise: measure 6 and make a mark. Repeat for other side of same handle. Align the mark with the top of the bag, close to the faux side seam. Pin onto bag front.  Sew close to the edge of the handle. (Youll have about 3 of handle to sew on) Repeat on back.  Repeat process for other handle.

Nylon bag Origami

1.   Lay bag on a flat surface. Fold pocket so it is outside the bag.  

Fold sides in, matching front and back seams. (This is where the Faux Seams you did in sewing #4 come in handy.)

2.   Fold bottom in half outsides together. Fold down handles

3.   Using the Side Folds as a guide, fold each side over the front.

4.   (Almost Done) Fold in half Lengthwise. And Again.

Now you ought to have a compact square-shaped thing that should be able to be pushed into the pocket.

5.   Once in the pocket, flip the fold top over. (That is, fold it inside out. Like a sandwich Baggie)
Wink Dont worry, youll get the hang of it soon enough.  Cheesy
Alternatively,  you could just stuff it into the pocket: but it won't be very flat.

and, on the rack at the store.

Please, if you make one, please post it here for all to see. Thank you
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009 02:43:54 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: had to add to instructions » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
kiatokid1412
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009 02:46:48 PM »

VERY GOOD
BIG FAN BTW
 Wink
[/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009 10:23:45 PM »

Thank you Kiatokid1412.
I enjoy having a big fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009 02:36:50 PM »

Hey everybody!

I made this in a cotton-poly-type fabric.  For some reason, I thought that it would be much thicker than the nylon. (Go figure) But here it is:

In comparison to the original (Nylon-left:cotton-right)            and folded according to nylon-bag origami and stuffed into its pocket

And, hanging on the door.
I still don't know how to turn photos in Craftster.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the tute and I hope that you make one and post photos of yours here.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009 02:52:09 PM »

Me Again!

I have made some new Morel Grocery Bags.  They still have the Bag-rack Tabs, and the fantastic size: But, to the pocket that they get folded into, I added a Loop of fabric to put a spring ring into.

Have a look ...

My Fabric-Lady, Anita, suggested it: I'm proud of myself for implementing it.

This one is in a White (Checkerboarded) Nylon

And, one in a blue coloured nylon. (I sewed it with white thread because I couldn't find one that matched. And it was 2:30 in the morning...)

Hope you like them. 
If you have made some using this tute, please post them. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Molly.Connelly
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009 11:41:03 PM »

Me Again!

I have made some new Morel Grocery Bags.  They still have the Bag-rack Tabs, and the fantastic size: But, to the pocket that they get folded into, I added a Loop of fabric to put a spring ring into.

Have a look ...

And, one in a blue coloured nylon. (I sewed it with white thread because I couldn't find one that matched. And it was 2:30 in the morning...)

Hope you like them. 
If you have made some using this tute, please post them. Thanks.
as a cashier I would just like to say thank you for adding those nifty little rings on the side! it's so hard to work with those bags sometimes and the amount of room they give us to work with on those registers is very small. so those make life a lot easier for us  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009 02:44:41 PM »

as a cashier I would just like to say thank you for adding those nifty little rings on the side! it's so hard to work with those bags sometimes and the amount of room they give us to work with on those registers is very small. so those make life a lot easier for us  Cheesy

Thank you Phoenix_Michiko.
Another Craftster, BlueLodge, mentioned that the bag openings were a terrific size.

Plus, out here (in the "real world") many of the clerks and baggers have had good things to say about them.
I even heard through the grapevine that my local Safeway Grocery Store is so impressed they want to know if I'd make some for them to sell. (Wouldn't be worth even pursuing: but it's very flattering.)

I have to mention, I think I was a bit overzealous when I did my measuring for these bags.

I have to rework the measurements, but I think that the height has to have at least an inch taken off. (Down to 18"W X 19"L) Because, when I put them onto the Bag-Racks, the bottom ends up being a bit wrinkled, which hadn't happened on the 9-piece ones.

Thank you for your patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009 05:42:41 PM »

Okay:

I don't yet have pics of it, but I have reworked the pattern.
The initial measure of the bag is 18"wide, by 18 1/2" tall. The bottom cut outs are 3 1/2" each way (3 1/2" Square cut out of each bottom corner)

This should make a much better sized bag. Oh, and if you want to be exact about it, the bag rack tab ought be increased by 1", to end up at 3 1/2" X 8" Long. (This will allow for your double 1/4" fold and sew at each end, before making into a tube and turning inside out. Then attaching to each side.)

If any Craftster makes any of these bags, I beg of you, please post pictures of it here. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
madkaysea
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009 05:55:03 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial.  Especially like those rack handles.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009 02:38:08 PM »

Thank you, madkaysea. They work really well. I'm thinking, though, that they might need to be a wee bit wider. As the pictures show, they fit on the bag-racks swell: the tabs might need to be a bit wider, just to get them onto the racks more quickly. I don't know if this will work, or not. I might just try it. (Or I might not, you never know...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Smooth and Retouch Skin in Photoshop
How to Retouch Skin and Apply a Fake Tan in Photoshop
How to Fix Dull Colors in Photoshop
How to Sharpen Blurred Images in Photoshop
How to Make a Custom Myspace 2.0 Layout in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...