A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Safety Pin Bracelets  (Read 2500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2005 02:27:28 PM »

Ebay user ID: Sundilay
ta-da!
The concept is pretty simple- put e beads on safety pins, close pin. Thread onto stretch elastic alternating safety pins from right side up (say the pin closure on the top) to upside down (closure on bottom). After youve deceided its the right length (make sure to tighten the stretch elastic otherwise it will be too saggy on your wrist) tie the sides off. Then I go down each side with a pair of needle nose pliars and pinch every closure together so the elastic doesnt slip out from the end and well, the other end is a loop so you dont have to worry about that. I like to secure the knots in the elastic with a bit of clear nail polish. I'm sure theres a craft item out there with a specific name but the nail polish has never failed me, so I've got to stick with it! Slip it on your wrist and admire, LOL! Have fun!!

I really like making these cause they literally take so little effort, i make them while watching tv. Then i made so many i had to sell them on ebay just to get rid of some, LOL Ill be prepared for the next craft fair at least!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005 02:52:09 PM by LorettaYoungSkills » THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005 02:44:22 PM »

I love the pearl one! This is a great use for all those saftey pins I have in my sewing drawer (I seem to always end up with some when I go to the fabric store & I already have a TON).

Thanks for the post & the idea!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
SKN725
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005 02:56:58 PM »

Have you  ever tried making these longer?  I'm thinking belts, a band around the top of a handbag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LorettaYoungSkills

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005 03:48:22 PM »

ive never thought of it but thats an awesome idea! maybe i could thread them onto hemp or something and knot the two strings off at the end so there would be enough for a tie to make a belt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess*of*capri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005 05:11:05 PM »

I like the pearl one at the top! I like how it mixes elegant and punk together. and thanks for sharing how to make them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
eterry2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005 05:19:59 PM »

oh, I bought one like this on a trip to London that I absolutely adore!  I will try to post a photo soon.  It also has paper beads on it that look great.  AND there is an empty safety pin between every two beaded pins.  I love it. 

I tried making one, but had a difficult time tying the elastic.  Do you have any tips?  thanks.

Terry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LorettaYoungSkills

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005 06:14:42 AM »

Ive got 1mm braided elastic and I find it SO much better then the stuff i had before. when i tie the ends off, i usually tie it twice and add some clear nail polish to the knot.. clear nail polish is a GOD SENT! i used to use 1mm rubber elastic except it was SO HARD (i would litterally be trying to tie this thing for the same amount of time it took me to make the bracelet) because it the knot (and elastic) was so slippery that it just wouldnt stay tied. Braided elastic is the only way to go, and as far as my tying techniques go I usually just loop it twice insteade of once when tying a knot. (yknow when you tie your shoes and you do the 'over under' and then youres supposed to make a loop to start the bow, well i just do two over unders and tie it in a knot) hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZary
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005 10:27:04 AM »

very nice bracelets! I love the pearl one and the 3rd and 4th the most, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimberlyPye
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005 10:31:32 AM »

Those are surprisingly elegant!  You must get all kinds of compliments in those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Organized and Scary Halloween Workstation
How to Make Spooky Halloween Eyes
How to Make Reflective Candy Bags for Halloween
How to Make Glue Stick Spiderwebs for Halloween
How to Make Halloween Costumes from Everyday Items
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...