A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
332 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The ORIGINAL photographic process, blended with the spice of Digital!  (Read 7469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2009 09:47:03 AM »

Hello There!

I'm glad you're checking out this entry, because not only are you going to see something cool, you're going to learn something new!
Huzzah!
For my first ever entry to a contest here, I decided to bring a revolution!! I created a digital negative in Photoshop to create a classical calotype on canvas! This is truly a project that gives props to old school! Wink he he.

My goal for this entry was to connect our past and our present in a crafty way.
But before I explain, I'll show you the finished piece for my entry.

This, my dear friends, is an actual calotype.
I exposed it on regular old canvas as a direct positive.
No ink jet. No paint. No glue.
This is serious chemical play my friends. Gloves and eye protection please! Smiley

The very FIRST negative to positive process was called the Calotype. So right here and now, I'm giving my credits to Fox Talbot, inventor. Even though he's dead, I'm sure he's thrilled. Cool

So how did I get a PHOTOGRAPHIC POSITIVE on canvas?? There is a knack to this.

(Close up sample)

If you want to know the technical version full of the chemical names and gobble-dee-gook, read below. Want just the how to? Skip this bit. Wink

"The sensitive element of a calotype is silver iodide. With exposure to light, silver iodide decomposes to silver leaving iodine as free element. Excess silver iodide is washed away after oxidizing the pure silver with a second application of gallo-nitrate. As silver oxide is black, the resulting image is visible. Potassium bromide then is used to stabilize the silver oxide.

The salted paper's sensitive element is silver chloride formed when the salt (sodium chloride) reacts with silver nitrate. Silver chloride decomposes when in contact with light forming silver and chlorine evaporates. Excess silver chloride is washed out of the paper and the silver oxidizes in contact with gallo-nitrate. The silver oxide is stabilized on the paper with hypo." (Taken from Alf B. Meier's publication Basic Photography)

The Steps I Took
So basically, In the dark, I brush the canvas with a Silver Nitrate and Water solution. Then I dry it, then lay it in a Potassium iodide solution for about 3 minutes. Then rinse and dry.

When you are ready to make a print, sensitize it using a solution of silver nitrate, water and acetic acid. And you also need another solution of water and gallic acid. They get mixed together at an equal ratio just before use of the canvas. I then brushed the solution on. Rinsed, and let it dry.

This is now a silver iodized canvas. In laymens, it's now sensitive to light. Smiley Neat eh?

Now, for how I melded this technology with the digital tools we're so fond of today. I created a negative in Photoshop from a digital photograph of mine, and printed it onto a clear sheet the same size as my canvas. To give it a bit of tongue-in-cheek, I made my negative a positive image, so that my positive came out negative! Wink

After I had made the canvas light sensitive, I laid my negative on top of it, clamped it, then set it under light to expose. I then went through the wash process and hung the canvas to dry overnight!

And there you have it, a modern negative used to make a classical print!

As a bonus, these are cyanotypes, the process is fairly similar, but creates a blue tone!

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed the work, and you now feel smart about photography history, please vote for me! Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009 09:49:04 PM by Retro_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyea
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009 10:04:43 AM »

That is such a fantastic piece! And I love how you mixed old school developing with digital photography. The best of both worlds. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009 11:08:26 AM »

I love this.  I don't completely understand, but I love it.  Very nice work.  Thank you for sharing all the details. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009 11:11:00 AM »

Anything I can clarify?

(PS, my name is Amy as well!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009 11:55:12 AM by Retro_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KMOM13
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009 03:20:27 PM »

This is very cool and informative!

How long did you expose the digital negative to the silver nitrate canvas before you washed it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009 04:11:52 PM »

Beautiful!  I had no idea you could develop a picture onto canvas.  Excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009 07:36:09 PM »

What a wonderful idea! This is something I would love to try out one day... The finished project is just amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009 08:51:48 PM »

that is the absolute bomb!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfaerie
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009 11:32:00 AM »

Love this!  I also do cyanotypes from diginegs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009 06:19:53 PM »

thats really really really really cool.   I'm impressed.  Wanna swap?  LOL  I'd love one of these!!!!   they are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Soap
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make a Faux-Agate Pendant
How to Crochet a Spring Fling Pillow: Basic Outline
How to Make a Succulent Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...