A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Yogurt  (Read 2426 times)
Tags for this thread: yogurt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2009 09:52:37 AM »

When I was in college, one of my roommates made homemade yogurt. Of course, she forgot she had it culturing in the oven and turned the oven on to preheat which resulted in yogurt mixed with melted plastic! But somewhere along the way, she must have made a good batch because I remember it being very good.

So I recently got it into my head to try to make my own yogurt. I read up on various methods (yay Google!) and decided it can't be that hard.  Then my dad went and bought a dehydrator, and since he conveniently lives right next door, I borrowed it and whipped up my first batch of homemade yogurt last night. This is what was waiting for me this morning:

The creamiest, sweetest plain yogurt I've ever tasted!  I had some for breakfast with honey and fresh peach.

It was heavenly!

How do you make it in the dehydrator? I love homemade yogurt, you are right, it is MUCH tastier.   I've done oven with the light on for incubation... And I've noticed that the brand you use for starter really makes a difference (the local grocery store's name brand is gross...)

I used Dannon brand for starter -- it's the only "real" yogurt in our local grocery store. Everything else has jello added to stablize it and that won't work very well!

The dehydrator manual actually has instructions for how to make yogurt! What I did was heat 4 cups 2% milk on the stove until 180 degrees, cooled it down to 120 degrees, mixed 3/8 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 cup of the milk till smooth, then combined it all together in a microwave safe bowl, set it in the bottom of the dehydrator for 6 hours with the dehydrator set at about 95 degrees.  I didn't have any powdered milk, so I didn't add that even though my recipe called for it.  The "worst" part was waiting for the milk to cool down enough!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010 10:44:16 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to pull additional project info into first post! :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
Ducky2010
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009 10:31:35 AM »

Looks yummy! I've tried making yogurt before but I was working out of an inadequate kitchen with inadequate tools. This looks much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdhrt
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009 11:07:35 AM »

How do you make it in the dehydrator? I love homemade yogurt, you are right, it is MUCH tastier.   I've done oven with the light on for incubation... And I've noticed that the brand you use for starter really makes a difference (the local grocery store's name brand is gross...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009 11:13:47 AM »

I used Dannon brand for starter -- it's the only "real" yogurt in our local grocery store. Everything else has jello added to stablize it and that won't work very well!

The dehydrator manual actually has instructions for how to make yogurt! What I did was heat 4 cups 2% milk on the stove until 180 degrees, cooled it down to 120 degrees, mixed 3/8 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 cup of the milk till smooth, then combined it all together in a microwave safe bowl, set it in the bottom of the dehydrator for 6 hours with the dehydrator set at about 95 degrees.  I didn't have any powdered milk, so I didn't add that even though my recipe called for it.  The "worst" part was waiting for the milk to cool down enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdhrt
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009 11:21:41 AM »

Cool, thanks for sharing.  So its a lot like the light in oven, just in the dehydrator instead.  I was told it didn't matter if you had gelatin because it gets do diluted.  If you are stateside, there is a slightly more expensive brand that we've been using, we really like the flavor of, cascade fresh. I haven't tried Dannon... of course once you make it you don't really need to buy more, unless you forget to save some for your next starter!  We buy flavored, and cut it at least half with plain for the kids, way cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009 11:31:32 AM »

Cool, thanks for sharing.  So its a lot like the light in oven, just in the dehydrator instead.  I was told it didn't matter if you had gelatin because it gets do diluted.  If you are stateside, there is a slightly more expensive brand that we've been using, we really like the flavor of, cascade fresh. I haven't tried Dannon... of course once you make it you don't really need to buy more, unless you forget to save some for your next starter!  We buy flavored, and cut it at least half with plain for the kids, way cheaper.

I've heard of a bunch of different "organic" brands, but unfortunately our small-town grocery store doesn't carry any of 'em.  I think the jello in it hinders the bacteria somehow...anyway, I was already in the habit of buying Dannon just because when I buy yogurt, I want YOGURT, not jello! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009 07:58:44 PM »

I didn't realize that making yogurt was so easy.  Now I have to try this for myself.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009 02:59:07 PM »

can I add to this thread as a yoghurt maker without a dehydrator or oven light thingy.

The easiest method I know is to buy a pot of plain yoghurt, eat it and save just about 1/4-->1/2 teaspoon of the youghurt. Boil about a pint of regular milk and allow to cool to blood heat (dip in your..clean..little finger to test the temperature) Add in the yoghurt and mix it well.

Pour the milk into a vacuum flask (thermos) and leave overnight, in the morning you have yougurt. Make each new batch from the end of the last batch and the culture improves as you go, it gets sweeter and nicer.

Homemade yoghurt is so much nicer than shop bought because yoghurt gets more acid as it gets older and so it gets sharper and more tangy as it ages.

If you want to make greek strained youghurt (a great low fat substitute for sour cream) line a strainer with very clean muslin, or a thin tea-towel. dump in the yougurt and allow it to drain, after an hour or two you will find a lot of the thinner whey will drain off and you are left with a gorgeous thick youghurt.

(which is fabulous as a dessert with toasted flaked almonds and honey)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009 03:00:49 PM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009 06:06:56 PM »

I always make my own yogurt too, and it really does taste different and better than traditional store-bought yogurts (great for keeping the digestive tract in line too).  I always think of it as just having a "cleaner, fresher" taste, though that's hard to describe.
Part of the reason it tastes better is because various thickeners (gels, pectin, starches, etc) have been added to purchased yogurts and they've also been heated high for a long time, etc, to give the final yogurt a longer shelf life, but that also affects the final taste as well as consistency.  It's then also homogenized using high pressures to keep the whey mixed in with the solids, which is again good for the manufacturers.

If anyone's interested, I also belong to a Yahoogroup called homemade_yogurt:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/homemade_yogurt/?yguid=327336920
which has loads of info in the archives and new people all the time.

I use a commercial starter for my yogurt (Yogourmet, from Whole Foods) though, and do various things to make the yogurt as thick as possible (add 1/2 c powdered milk, heat to 185 and hold in the microwave 5-10 min before letting it cool in the air).  
I add all kinds of things to mine once it's done (one portion at a time --from smoothies to straight-up to cereal to cooking or coating fruit with it mixed with other things).  Stirring or mixing will always make yogurt thinner, but doing those things still keeps mine thicker than it would have been.
I also intentionally eat the yogurt mostly from the middle of the large/tall container I make it in so that I'll have the (drained) "yogurt cheese" Greek-type yogurt hanging all around the walls for when I want a sub for sour cream, etc. (btw, even if it's not "drained" Greek-type yogurt, any yogurt made in Europe is better than ours because their cows don't eat what our cows do, and they also don't treat the milk from them as severely as we do..boohoo).
I also incubate only 4 hrs** (minimum time) because I don't like it really sour, but still lasts really well in the frig even after the basic 3 weeks of goodness (there's seldom any left by that time, but if there is I give it to the DH who just adds more sugar).
**that's at the traditional incubating temp of 115-120 though, so probably about equivalent to 6 hrs at the 95 F mentioned

Great to hear about the dehydrator though since the cheapie-but-excellent Salton yogurt maker I love has suddenly disappeared from the market and I don't want to have to figure out the right combo of insulation, containers, heat, etc., at this point for just using a jar in the oven or wrapped in a box with towels, etc.  
Did you say that model came with instructions for yogurt?  If so, what brand was it?

Diane B.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009 06:13:18 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
christephi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009 08:14:10 AM »

Did you say that model came with instructions for yogurt?  If so, what brand was it?

It did come with directions for making yogurt...I don't know what brand it is, but when I'm over at my dad's today I'll find out and let ya know! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Care Tips by Garnier
How to Have Perfect Hair This Season
How to Take Care of Hair Extentions
How to Make Easy Bun Updo
How to Make a Natural Scalp Remedy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...