A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt for mum - help!!!!  (Read 1576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmb007
« on: June 30, 2009 04:34:46 AM »

I've attempted a crude version of Kaffee Fassett's Big Bang.  Actually my mother bought me the fabric and gave me the picture, hint hint.  I've didn't really like all the colours she choose, so I put together one side and have layed out the other.  I need help and true honesty. 

This side I like and is sewn:

This side I'm not so sure about and is not sewn, maybe rearrange them.  Comments would be very helpful.

My mum just had knee surgery and I really wanted to get it done as fast as possible but I'm at an impass.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trilogy Edibles - For the Love of Treats - Custom Desserts and Wedding Cakes! @ http://www.trilogyedibles.com/
Ffrogg526
Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009 05:03:41 AM »

I'll be honest, I'm not a quilter.  That was my mother and her mother.  But I think the second picture looks fine.  I think its really cool that the front has a overall pink feeling while the back has a cooler purpley-blue feeling to it.  I like both of them very much and I think when you put them together it will look fantastic. 

I hope this helps!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hikeaddict
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009 05:40:02 AM »

I think it looks really nice. Maybe this was not what you were going for but I think the way the colors and patterns work it looks kind of like a kaleidoscope- which I think is very cool and something I couldn't do if I tried for days. Also it could be a very unique name for it if you're into naming your creations- 'The Kaleidoscope Quilt"
I love it- visually I think it is awesome and I really like the way you've done the colors on each side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiQ
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009 05:44:42 AM »

I think they both look great, however, is it possible that the problem you're having with the 2nd one is that it's not quite as varied as the first?  I think there's a more solid contrast in hues in the pink and purple bits in the 1st one, whereas in the 2nd one the both the darker hues kind of blend together for me?

To be honest, though, I think they both look fantastic!!...and for some reason, the 2nd one reminds me more of a firework!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a moat.  Filled with badgers.
NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009 06:14:15 AM »

In the 2nd one, what if you swapped out the striped fabric for a green or blue hued one?  I love the striped fabric, but I think maybe the boldness of it is interupting the visual "flow"

All in all though, this is some fabulous work!  Your mum is very lucky!  Hope she has a speedy recovery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
elijor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009 07:14:07 AM »

I really love the fabrics in the 1st one.

I agree with NH822 - I think the "striped" fabric in the second one is much to "geometric/linear" while the rest of the fabrics are more "freeform/organic". If you can swap that out for something else I think you'd be happier.

The green is also a bit bothersome. Of course that could be a photo/monitor issue but I don't really see any green (particularly that bold green) in the other fabrics. Maybe the yellow has some green and it is the photo or the "harshness" of the strip that makes it look out of place.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 07:15:05 AM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FabricFun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009 07:55:42 AM »

Great job. What a lucky mom Grin

My two sense worth.....the stripe fabric interupts the visual flow and doesn't allow the center star to pop as much as it does on the first photo. The black in the stripes is also too awkward. Maybe pull a softer blue, purple or pink from the existing fabric patterns. Maybe even a darker gold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifimama
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009 08:39:03 AM »

I agree that they both look great, but can see that the second one might be bothering you for the simple reason, as KiwiQ said, that the stripes and the purple are too similar in value.  As others have suggested, maybe if you swap the stripe for something much lighter or much darker, the design would be clearer.

Great work, anyway you do it!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009 10:28:41 AM »

I agree the stripe is throwing you off.  Swapping pieces to match the pattern more might help, or rotating them so they are totally NOT matched and going different directions.  I might try a blue to pull from the other floral.  HOWEVER, if your mom bought the fabrics and it is for her, maybe just go with it, even if it's not your favorite? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BattleAxe
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009 12:45:07 PM »

Heya Karen they look great!  The only diff between the two is the solid centre.  You could add something on the back in similar fashion.  But I think it looks great as is. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Breezy Multi-Colored Valance
How to Make Ribbon Yarn Pillow Sham
Fabulous Twirled Edge Scarf
Sock Monkey
Gorgeous Filigree Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...