A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tree of Gondor Wall hanging  (Read 4945 times)
Tags for this thread: lord_of_the_rings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 30, 2009 03:57:11 AM »

My partner in the Lord of the Rings swap asked for a wall hanging, and I found something I absolutely had to make, a tree of Gondor I had seen in a small thumbnail on a page called "One skein to rule them all"  http://community.livejournal.com/lotr_knits/.
I think it had started with falling in love with this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=227010.0

So I sketched something very roughly (and not too useful as it turned out), and just started! I altered the pattern all the time, because I didn't foresee all the twists I needed with the branches. I ended up sketching a more detailed pattern which I didn't exactly follow, but it came close enough to show me where to branch out. I ran in to other troubles as well, being too impatient to look up the leave pattern I know existed, I just cabled the leaves, same with the stars.
I must have knit every row at least three times. I am not the most patient knitter, but this time, I just enjoyed every minute I spent on it! I even decided on adding the stars because I had such a hard time stopping to knit this!

As my partner has received now, I can finally post it, my most favourite project of this year, the Tree of Gondor in cream colored wool:

Detail of roots, you can see where I changed my mind about intertwining the stem.

The deeper, steeper roots were done by cabling over one neighboring stitch, the the roots nearer to the surface, the less steeper ones, were done cabling over two neighboring stitches. Every row was cabled, including the back rows.

The part that almost drove me nuts: braching out and getting right the angles of the branches.

The cabling mechanisms were the same: covering one or two neighboring stitches, depending on the direction the branch was supposed to go. I needed leaves in different sizes to fit in between the branches, I would try to get even sized leaves next time. I also cabled some tiny blossoms on the bottom branches, but they are nearly invisible. The easiest solution for those would be to sew on some textile flowers in cream white, or pearls.

I am planning on making more Tree of Gondor projects, but next time, I will knit in the round, making a bag, so I can always see the round I am cabling. If I had had a pattern that worked, I wouldn't have minded cabling backwards that much, but if you are trying to figure out what you are doing while you don't see it... I did a lot of turning and checking, and while it was not hard to do, it was time-consuming.

Sorry that I can't provide a decent pattern, the one I used wasn't so useful. Maybe the detail shots can help you understand how it was done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalospinner
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009 04:54:21 AM »

Fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009 06:12:25 AM »

Beautiful!  Good for you for wrangling out a tricky cable pattern like this all by yourself.  It looks very elegant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
ronnie fine
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009 06:32:40 AM »

this has got to be the coolest piece of knitting ive ever seen,well done!
i'm so green with envy right now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheese is a kind of meat!
ryana
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009 06:22:51 PM »

I'm not a big Lord of the Rings fan; I have no idea what the Tree of Gondor is, but this is freakin amazing. So beautiful and intricate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009 04:37:45 PM »

That is really impressive, especially done on the fly like that. I think it would look terrific as a bag, or even as a sweater, which could also be done in the round. I like the yarn you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009 11:27:05 AM »

Wow! Fabulous work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
mandolinkate
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009 10:36:23 AM »

That is amazing. My inner (and outer) geek rejoices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Huhwhat?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009 06:29:20 AM »

That is amazing! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainya
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009 05:44:49 PM »

You are my hero. That is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Courage is......when you are the only one that knows you are scared stupid."

My DeviantArt = http://rainya.deviantart.com/
My Blog = http://squirrelcandy.wordpress.com/
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009 01:56:01 PM »

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! I love doing cables, and making a tree pattern was something that had long been in my head. This kind of tree would be great for free knitting, I felt a bit limited by the pattern, but I wanted to get it as close to the Gondor coat of arms as possible. This intertwined version of the tree of Gondor was used on Arwen's wedding banner, I don't know if the Gondorians use it like that, it might be an elvish interpretation. Next time I watch one of the movies, I will pay a lot of attention to the trees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Older
How to Curl Black Hair
How to Curl Curly Hair
How to Curl Fringes
How to Curl Frizz
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...