A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Even more I-Spy Bags!  (Read 1396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2009 08:23:02 PM »

I had come across this tutorial a while back and decided I should make some for Christmas gifts.  I finally got around to them yesterday.  Roll Eyes
Unfortunately, my internet went down (for over 14 hours!) so I wasn't able to use that wonderful tutorial and had to wing it.  But, since I was highly inspired by said tutorial, I thought I would share it with you all.

Each bag has 27 items in it.  Of course I thought of more things I could have put in there... after I sewed them shut.   Roll Eyes  Hubby suggested having some kind of opening where I could change out the items inside, but I had terrible images of rice meeting carpet and had to veto that idea!

There is a word list behind the picture list, I just forgot to take a picture of it.
I know this has been done a million times before, but I was so tickled that I had to share Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009 08:25:17 PM by HippieKender » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis1:1
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009 08:31:26 PM »

Christmas gifts?!Wow, you are on top of it girl!!  i am glad you posted this b/c i forgot about that great tut.  what did you put in there and what would you like to add to them?? (curious)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009 08:45:29 PM »

Christmas gifts?!Wow, you are on top of it girl!!  i am glad you posted this b/c i forgot about that great tut.  what did you put in there and what would you like to add to them?? (curious)

Oh... no ... I meant I had planned to make the for LAST Christmas.  LOL!!  Maybe I could hide them and save them for this Christmas?  Hmmm.
I have:
Buttons, erasers in the shape of bugs and animals, tiny dice, little polymer things I made (mushroom, fortune cookie, etc), coins, guitar pick, bread tie (the flat square kind), LEGOs, beads, and a strange plastic gemstone thing that I stole from hubby ... I think there were a couple more, but my brain has shut down for the night and I can't recall them.
I would have liked to add shrinky dinks of their names and maybe some favorite cartoon characters.  The names alone would have added 6 items to each bag (strange that all 3 recipients have 6 letters in their names).  Some novelty buttons, paperclips, those tiny plastic party favors that kids get in the goodie bags, etc.
If you make them, don't add anything sharp that could poke a hole or tear a seam. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kudrea
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009 09:43:54 PM »

These look great, one question though, is the back side a solid piece of fabric, or does it have a window too? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little_emsy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009 01:57:05 AM »

I love these - you've done a great job. I want to make one for my daughter for when we fly to Canada next year... looooooong flight! Will they let me take rice overseas... (I watch Border Patrol...) or is it a bit iffy? Can anyone suggest a non-food alternative?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://thesewcafe.blogspot.com/

My Beloved Monsters:http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Beloved-Monsters/25396759847?ref=ts#/pages/My-Beloved-Monsters/25396759847?ref=ts
lil_abi
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009 06:00:39 AM »

Glad you found my tutorial and thank you for linking to it! 

I've found a great non-food alternative which also makes the bags look a little more "professional", though it's a bit pricey in the scope of the entire bag's cost: poly pellets.

They're tiny plastic pellets used to weight dolls or beanie babies.  You can find them online (google:"poly pellets") or in Jo-Ann near the doll making supplies.  Make sure you don't get the bean bag stuffing material -- it's lightweight and staticky and yucky. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009 08:00:39 AM »

These look great, one question though, is the back side a solid piece of fabric, or does it have a window too? Thanks!

It's just a solid piece of fabric, but I don't see why you couldn't put a window on the back too.

I love these - you've done a great job. I want to make one for my daughter for when we fly to Canada next year... looooooong flight! Will they let me take rice overseas... (I watch Border Patrol...) or is it a bit iffy? Can anyone suggest a non-food alternative?

Well, the rice is completely encased, but I don't know the rules for taking things overseas. The poly pellets are a great option.

Glad you found my tutorial and thank you for linking to it! 

I've found a great non-food alternative which also makes the bags look a little more "professional", though it's a bit pricey in the scope of the entire bag's cost: poly pellets.

They're tiny plastic pellets used to weight dolls or beanie babies.  You can find them online (google:"poly pellets") or in Jo-Ann near the doll making supplies.  Make sure you don't get the bean bag stuffing material -- it's lightweight and staticky and yucky. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to create and post the tutorial.  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PepsiTwist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009 11:55:33 AM »

This idea is super cute! I don't have anyone young enough to craft for that would go crazy over it but it is still a great idea for when I do come along said people.

I had another thought, I think this option would be cheaper but I'm not positive. My thought is that instead of rice or polyfil why not bb pellets from walmart and such? (plus they come in fun colors for a little extra flare)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Santa
How to Craft a Button Brooch
How to Craft Duct Tape Fabric
How to Craft Apple Balloons
How to Craft Duct Tape Flip-Flops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...