A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I read too many mysteries =D (more pics)  (Read 36983 times)
Tags for this thread: woodwork , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshleyRae
« on: June 29, 2009 08:13:55 PM »

A lifelong dream of mine finally came to fruition!  I've got a hidden doorway thanks to my AMAZING bro-in-law!  
I knew I wanted a wall of books, but I'm kind of strange (saving up to become eccentric) and was totally jonesing for something utterly unique in our house.  The BIL was even game for adding in a book latch, which I thought was truly only in the movies.
Yep, I'm in love with this project and it completely rocks my ever-lovin' world.  Admit it, you want one!

Here's a shot of the hubby next to our 10' tall x 17' long built-in bookcases.  Love them!

What have we here?  Boom!  A Secret Doorway!

And, finally, the book latch (pull the book and the door opens).  Gee, I wonder which book it could be =D

*************************UPDATE*************************
Numero uno:  You guys are totally awesome for the amazing comments!  Seriously!  

Secondly, oops, I totally forgot to mention what's behind the secret door ('cause I'm a tool like that).  It leads to our bedroom, which IS accessible through another door down the hall, but only if you double back.  Fun times, hey?  *Wiggles eyebrows suggestively* Grin  

Third, the book latch is a wooden block of wood that my amazing husband dremmelled (sp?) to look a bit more like a book.  Then I painted it and the BIL added a cable and hinge, so, when the book is tilted forward, the cable pulls up on a simple gate latch mounted on the back of the bookcase.  

As far as a tutorial, BIL did this all on educated guesswork.  They are plywood shelves with simple moulding to cover the edges.  The "door" has a caster mounted on the edge that holds 800 pounds (another one will be placed on next week) and the hinge is actually 2 piano hinges 90% covered by the decorative moulding between each case (obviously it couldn't be 100% covered or the door wouldn't open...but it's barely visible and will be even less apparent when I paint it white).  The decorative moulding between each case hides the small gaps that were used to ensure that everything fit properly or it case anything needed to be adjusted (ie. the door didn't quite fit...1/4 inch off...so the adjoining bookcase was moved over 1/4 inch to accommodate.  You can't tell because the moulding hides it...BRILLIANT!)

New Pics:

Sorry for how blurry it is.  Camera was on the wrong setting Smiley

Looking from our bedroom at the back of the bookcases/hidden door.

Just for fun.

This photo is a bit better than the other.  The book is modeled after an actual book of the same title by Frank L. Packard.  The front picture is the same one that is on the front cover of his book.

Picture of the garden gate latch that holds the case to the wall.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 03:51:43 PM by AshleyRae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without me, it's just aweso.
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009 08:22:58 PM »

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
I am so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrfchic
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009 08:23:12 PM »

This
rocks.

I
want.
Must.
Have.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009 08:26:07 PM »

that is one of the COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEST things ever.....way to go BIL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009 08:28:14 PM »

Freaking brilliant!  I am hopelessly jealous of you and in awe of your awesome BIL.  Enjoy!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009 08:28:58 PM »

THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY WANT!!! You have an awesom BIL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009 08:31:31 PM »

Seriously, that is the most amazing thing ever and I absolutely NEED one in my house!  I'm pretty jealous of those book shelves in general, but especially the hidden doorway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyCristyC

http://tossedcookies.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009 08:32:45 PM »

I've always wanted one of these, and I'm planning on doing the same thing when I get a house!  I was wondering, did you just seclude a room of your house, or is it still accessible by other doors, or what?  I've always liked the tiny cubbyhole idea, but you don't find many places with perfectly placed cubbyholes... or cubbies at all, really...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hadassah
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009 08:40:38 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! SO AMAZING! I WANT ONE SO BAD!!! When I have a house, I'm definitely gonna save up to have one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009 08:45:11 PM »

i. am. jealous.
that is AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Puppet Theater
How to Create a Monkey Puppet
How to Make a Rug Out of Scrap Fabric
How to Weave with a Loom
How to Spin Yarn on a Spinning Wheel
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...