A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrinky experimentation - learned a few things  (Read 992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 25, 2009 08:53:54 AM »

I was playing around with shrink plastic, some stamps, and this was what I got.  I learned a number of things in this experimentation that will hopefully lead to greater success in the future.

First - the stamping ink I have, go lightly on, and it will not dry completely and will smear, even after shrinking.  Solution, fuse the ink-stamped side to a plain peice of shrink plastic after shrinking both once. 

Secondly - do not leave the two pieces fusing for too long - plastic takes on a yellowy tinge, the image warps a bit - two things I can live with.  What I cannot live with - the hole punched through melts and fuses shut. 

Thirdly - do not underfuse - then the little pieces come off with gentle pressure

Fourth - you CAN shape fused shrinkies into a ring!  Yes, it is molten plastic.  Yes, it is hot.  BUT if you lift it up by the paper you are shrinking on, and manipulate the paper to shape it around the ring mandrel, you are less likely to hurt yourself.  It's still hot- but manageable.

Fifth - while you can do it, it makes for a bulky ring.   Not uncomfortable, because the edges rounded in the fusing process and it is very light, but it is bulky in thickness.  But it does show that I can make a nametag for my stethoscope that I can shape around the earpiece so noone can slip it off, and that I can fuse the lettering between two pieces of plastic so it should be safe from the antibacterial wipes I use to clean it with.  Alwo, it may make a pretty good cuff.

Sixth - I need tweezers

Seventh - next time, stamp on clear plastic, and fuse same onto opaque background - may turn out better.

Finally - watch the dog fur.  I got some fused between some of the fused plastic pieces.

All in all, I am pleased.  Not necessarily with the finished products, but with what I learned in the process of making them.  Also, it's just fun watching the darn things shrink!

This one probably turned out to be one of the best - clearish picture, fused well, not too much warping, and the holes were still patent.

all of them together

My saddest one - I loved the three owls, but it melted too much and no hole

The rings - so you can see the bulkiness

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009 10:50:31 AM »

That blue one is super pretty Cheesy

Grab a craft knife and you can quickly fix your owl pendant. Just use the point to "drill" the hole back in. If you have a fine round file you can use that to enlarge the hole once the knife point goes through. Totally worth the effort to save a piece you love, and they are cute, aren't they? Cheesy Just watch your fingers Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009 12:49:07 PM »

I'm a bit afraid of snapping the plastic.  But then again, I can always make more Cheesy

I do have some small jewerly files and one has a point, so I think I will give it a try - thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Tularosa
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009 04:07:27 PM »

Could you dremel (drill that I'm sure I'm spelling wrong!) a hole in? I've never had any luck with ink (except alcohol-based inks), but Sharpies (sealed after with some varnish) work like a dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." - Pablo Picasso
BettyBravo
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009 01:27:13 PM »

oh wow! I love how everything turned out! And thank you for sharing the wisodm you have gained in the process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you've lost your ticket to paradise, make sure you have money for the bus" -Pokey Lafarge
sweetyetevil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 08:05:17 AM »

some cool experiments on playing with shrink plastic. Try staz-on ink for the plastic. It comes in several colors and it works great. It is made for plastic, glass, shiney stuff etc... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009 03:30:50 PM »

Starz-on - I will have to look for that.  I don't remember seeing it before, so I hope I can find it - thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Charles Kipps Talks About Crystal Death
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...