A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Speakers... to completely functional lamps?  (Read 727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Princess Dukki
« on: April 06, 2005 11:33:21 AM »

So, my parents threw out a perfectly good set of computer speakers, because my cat chewed up the cord. It would be simple enough to fix them, and give them back, but I rescued them fair and square out of the trash and they're mine! LOL  Cheesy

Anyway, my question is this: if I removed the speakers themselves, would it be possible to turn the shells into lamps? I know I could just drill a hole in the bottom and put a little light fixture in, but I'm looking for something more complex than that. I want the power switch to still turn them on and off, and it would be frickin' awesome if the volume dial worked as a dimmer switch. Is there anyone out there with the mad skillz of an electrician who would know if this could be done? And who would have the patience to give me some directions? Or at least who would know of somewhere I could get some learnin' about this?

Please give any advice you have, and thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
PunkyGeek

Comfort the disturbed, Disturb the comfortable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005 12:24:31 PM »

Well, I;m going to school for electronics so I can try to help.  The power switch already controls the power so that is no problem.  To make the volume act as a dimmer, you might be able to connect a wire from the power switch to the volume then from there go to the light bulb.  If that doesn't work, you may need to go to the hardware store and get a real dimmer switch and connect it to the volume so that when you turn the dial on the volume, it turns the dial on the dimmer.  It shouldn't be that hard, just some trial and error.  I wish I had some old speakers lying around so I could try it and give you a proper tutorial.  It's harder to explain these kinds of things than it is to actually do them, but I'm willing to help however I can.

Did I make any sense, or am I just rambling?  lol  I'm so used to talking to techies about this stuff, it's hard to tell if regular people understand me too   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You will never be able to change the system until you learn to live in the system.
Princess Dukki
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005 04:21:52 PM »

I understood you just fine, though I have no idea how I would go about wiring everything up together.

I considered getting a dimmer and hooking that up to the volume switch, but I would feel so much cooler if I could do it with just the volume switch and no extra parts.

I should be able to figure it out with some supplies, some patience, and a lot of alcohol.

Wait... how do I hook up the power switch to the light bulb?

I think I should know that before I start doing anything. I feel so ignorant, lol. Oh well. I've only taken electronics in high school... and grade 5. Oh, those were the days. Light-up Q&A boards were the highest technology.

The little board inside the speakers... should I keep that in there, and hook the light up to the wire the speaker had been attached to? Or would that totally not work?

Oh, and since they were computer speakers, I just realized they don't have a plug-in cord thingie. Wow I sounded intelligent. Anyhow, how would I go about attaching one? Or can I?

Oh the questions, oh the agony! I hope I don't sound too dumb right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PunkyGeek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005 05:10:28 PM »

Ok, I spoke with my colleage (ha, I sound all important lol) and he said you will need a dimmer switch, unless you are very electronically inclined to make your own, you won't just be able to use the volume control because of voltage differences.  You will need to get an A/C plug (the thing that comes out of the wall) it should have open wires on the other end to wire up to the power switch (you will most likely need to solder them on).  Then you need wire going from the power switch to the dimmer, then from the dimmer to the light bulb housing.
They sell light kits that have the A/C plug, a switch, and the light bulb housing for making lamps with, and they usually come with wiring instructions with diagrams which are a lot easier to use when trying to explain it.  Go to Radio Shack and find a knowledgeable person, tell them what you are doing and what you need and they should be able to get you all the correct supplies.  You will have to take out the board inside, you can't use it or it will fry (light takes a lot more voltage than speakers).
Wow this is hard to explain with words, it would be a lot easier to just say "now put that thing there and move this thing over here"  lol
Oh and alcohol and electricity don't mix well so be careful   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You will never be able to change the system until you learn to live in the system.
Princess Dukki
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005 05:40:08 PM »

Right now, all of that blows my mind like you wouldn't imagine.

Kinda sad I won't be able to use the board and that I'll need the dimmer. But not surprised.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I appreciate it like you wouldn't believe. Seems like a learning experience for both of us?

I will find me a kit, and I'm gonna attempt this. I am so psyched now, I think I might actually be able to accomplish this!

And I, like many others, am ten times more brilliant when drunk. Haha, I know though, I wasn't planning on being completely smashed whilst attempting this. Just gonna have a drink handy for when I fail horribly.

Edit: Realized I used the phrase 'like you wouldn't imagine' twice. Changed that. A little.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005 05:53:30 PM by Princess Dukki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PunkyGeek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005 05:59:16 PM »

I know, it seems so much easier visualizing it in my head than it sounds when I try to put it to words.  But please feel free to either post here or PM me if you have any questions while you are attempting it, I will try to help.  And I really want to see the finished product when you finish, so you better post pics  lol.  I know a lot of people work better while drinking, but that phrase has been pounded into my head so I always throw it out there.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005 06:07:03 PM »

Why thank you for the luck, I will probably need it. And if I manage to make this all work, I will certainly post pictures. Expect me to be posting again within a week or two, as soon as I can get supplies.

Well, 'til then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoneCheeze
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005 10:35:43 AM »

wow, that is such an awsome idea! glad there's someone on here who knows something about that stuff to help you.
hope you can get it to work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Reheat
The History of Glass Blowing
Glass Blowing: How Glass Is Shaped
Quilting: Making Easy Blocks
Quilting: Pillowcases You Can Make
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...