A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *TUTORIAL* Morel Grocery Bag  (Read 1817 times)
Tags for this thread: grocery_bag , reusable_grocery_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2009 01:41:01 PM »

I posted these grocery bags here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310783.0.
I was asked if I was going to post my tutorial. I presume that this was what was referred to:

This was notes I'd written out and pasted into my Sewing Journal for some time in the future when I got around to making these impressive bags.

I used a printed Nylon. It made a nice bag. Lightweight and compact. My "Fabric Lady" Anita, says that it could be made from cotton or cotton blends. I don't know if those would keep this as compact and lightweight. But, you could try it.
These instructions are for a 9 piece bag. I think Anita was right: I might have worked way to hard on these.
I am working on getting the instructions together for a 5 piece bag. I haven't made it yet, so I haven't any photos, but I'm working on it.

Safeway Grocery Bag – Fold Up
Finished size   Wide   Long
Handles   1½”    18¾”
Side   7”   16”
Front & Back   11¼”   16”
Bag-rack tabs   1½”   6 ½”
Bottom   11¼”    8” (deep)
Pocket   5½”   14½”

Therefore, we cut:   Wide   Long
Handles (2)   3 ½”   19”
Sides (2)   7 ½”   17”
Front & Back (2)   12”   17”
Bag-rack tabs (2)   3½”   7”
Bottom (1)   9”   12”
Pocket (1)   6”   16”

Preparation:
1.   Handles: Fold Handles, right sides together, in half, lengthwise. Stitch with a ¼” seam. Turn right side out. Press with seam on one side. Fold in raw edges ¼” into the inside of the tube. Stitch.  Repeat for other handle. Fold each handle in half, lengthwise. From the fold, measure down 6 ½” & make a mark. Do this on both sides of each handle. This mark will be where the top of the bag will be.  This will leave you with 13” long handles.

2.   Pocket: Choose one short end as “Top”.  Double ¼” fold to enclose raw edge. Sew. Now, fold right sides together, 2½”. Baste at ¼” at sides. Now, using fold you just made, measure 5 ¼” and fold again, right sides together. (Original fold will be inside) Stitch ¼” side seams.  While the pocket is still inside out, match raw edge tops of back piece of bag and pocket at center of back piece. (To calculate the center of the pocket and the center of the back piece, fold each in half lengthwise and pin-mark. Align pins.) “Front” of Pocket should be facing “wrong side” of Back Piece. (It’ll work, trust me)

This pic shows the pocket with the back side to the inside of the bag: This is wrong. The front of the pocket ought to be facing the bag piece.
3.   Front, Back and Sides: At top edge of each, double fold ¼” to enclose raw edges.  Turn Pocket right side out.
4.   Sides fold sides in half, lengthwise, right sides together. Sew a False Seam down the centre of each side. This will help later in our Nylon Bag Origami. (You’ll see)

5.   Bag-Rack Tabs: Double fold narrow ends ¼” to enclose raw edges. Fold each tab, right sides together, and sew into a tube with ¼” seams. Turn right side out.

Put Together.
1.   Front, Back & Sides Take 1 front and 1 side: place them Right Sides together. Stitch edge using a narrow, short zigzag. Repeat for other 3 seams. Turn bag right side out. Now, make a French seam by folding seam and stitching ¼” seam, enclosing original seam. Repeat for other 3 seams. This will enclose the original seam and hopefully prevent fraying. Plus, it gives the bag a bit of structure.
2.   Bottom With right sides together, attach the short sides of the bottom to the sides of the bag. Then attach front and back to long edges of the bottom. Turn right side out, and make French seams along the entire bottom.
3.   Handles On front (The one without the Pocket), pin handle, with the mark you made aligned with the top of the bag. Attach by sewing along the edge of the handle. Stop about ¼” from top.  Now, attach the other end of the same handle to the back piece of the bag in the same manner. (¼” from the edge, Sewn along the edge.)
4.   Bag-rack tabs: Attach the tab, right side out, to each side at the top. Fold each tab in half lengthwise and pin mark it. Then align the pin with the faux seam in the side. (I‘d suggest that the tab’s seam is aligned with the bag top.)

Nylon bag Origami
1.   Lay bag on a flat surface. Fold pocket so it is outside the bag.  Fold sides in, matching front and back seams. (This is where the Faux Seams you did in Prep #4 come in handy.)
2.   Fold bottom in half – outsides together. Fold down handles
3.   Using the Side Folds as a guide, fold each side over the front.
4.   (Almost Done) Fold in half Lengthwise. And Again. Now you ought to have a compact square-shaped thing that should be able to be pushed into the pocket.
5.   Once in the pocket, flip the fold top over. (That is, fold it inside out. Like a sandwich Baggie)
Wink Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it soon enough.  Cheesy

I hope that I've been clear. If I haven't, please leave me a note.
Also, I'd like to receive any feedback you care to leave.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 02:25:52 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: Re-doing Subject Title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
panda
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009 12:01:03 PM »

Yeah...... thank you for taking time to do this.  I will give it a try in the next week or so.  Can I post my finished product?  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 09:34:51 PM by panda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009 03:36:13 PM »

Thank you panda.
Yes, I would appreciate it if you would post your finished product.
I have had terrific feedback on these bags, both here on Craftster and in "real life".
I am working on making another tutorial for this bag, only using fewer pieces, and will post it once I have the instructions written out and the pictures taken.
Thank you again: and definitely please: post your finished product ... everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009 02:47:43 PM »

Okay, I have a new tutorial. This is a 5-piece one.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311421.0

Hope you like it better, or equally as well.

As with this one, please post photos if you make it.

Thank you so much for your attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Macaron Recipe
How to Make Nutella Cupcakes
How to Make Ginger Streusel Pumpkin Pie
Producing a Candy Cane Mint
How to Make Decorated Halloween Cake Pops
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...