A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seeking pro suggestions for doll/ amigurumi hair  (Read 947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissFlynn
« on: March 02, 2009 11:44:24 AM »

While I have seen countless dolls and techniques to putting in hair, I'd like a little help...or maybe it's support XP from those of you who have haired countless dolls...or even just one and atleast sort of know what you're doing (because really who does).

I'm a little hesitant to jump in like I normally do because, as of this moment, I'm quite proud of my achievment. I spent countless hours planning during classes >.>, working out patterns, and working it up in actual yarn and cloth, and I'd hate to start and later realize I could have done it better this way or that way. (It really bugs me to not have it just that perfect way you want it). Anyway, enough ranting like a proud mother...it's just yarn XP (god, I'm lame). I'm making a "doll" per sey, or rather a yarn embodiment of hundreds of hours spent on warcraft haha for the boy. It's a male character, with longer hair. I drew a crude diagram of how the hair is/ where the part is/ the way it lays.

Is this the best way to do it? Horizontal latch hooking on the hair line (1) and vertical throughout the rest to follow the part(2)? Also...I've seen hair caps done, as I haven't done the haired section of the head in the hair color would that be a better way to make it look better/ easier to work with...or would it just distort the head shape. As you can see I am anxious to start yet nervous XD. Until then I will continue with the other parts and the ungodly amount of gear he wears.

Any help, affirmation, support would be much appreciated.
/end geek moment
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 04:10:24 PM by MissFlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 MissFlynn

Hello, Monster on Etsy - Ferociously Cute Crochet
The Monster Blog
Angels-Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 06:03:22 AM »

Check out these links for lovely hair tutorials:

http://owlishly.typepad.com/owlishly/2007/08/amigurumi-hair.html
http://amigurumipatterns.blogspot.com/search/label/Amigurumi%20Tips
http://needlenoodles.com/home/?q=node/83
http://mygurumi.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-amigurumi-hair.html

enjoy  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChezMichelle
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009 04:50:51 AM »

Here's my way:  I cut the yarn about 4" longer than I want the hair and then tie 10-15 strands of yarn together at one end.  I push my crochet hook down into the head and pull through a few strands in each hole all the way around the head for as many rows as I want hair. Then I push the rest of the knot into the head and pull the hair tightly.  The stuffing will keep the knots in place, and the hair can't be pulled out easily.

That is how I made Little Emo's hair:
http://www.suncatchereyes.net/LittleEmo.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepentantAngel
Empress of the World At Large

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009 08:38:17 PM »

Hi! The way that I do the hair on my dolls, is:

I crochet a head cap in a spiral, and sew it onto the head. Then, starting at the center of the head cap, I make huge backstitches (leaving tall loops, however long you want the hair) in a spiral using the spaces between rows, all the way out to the last row of the head cap. Then, I tie off the end, cut the loops, and give a haircut/style. The benefit to this method is that you can manipulate the hair in any direction you want, instead of having to set it in a permanent direction. The only downside is that the hair can be very thick, but skipping stitches/rows and doing less loops can solve that.

I hope your finished product comes out just as you imagine it!

RA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people have midnight snacks.
I have midnight amigurumis. ^_^

www.yarncreations.wordpress.com

"Oh, Ackbar. You dumb, dumb, dumb fish man."
---My boyfriend
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Size 22 Model Receives Major Contract
How to Use Lipstick as Blush
How to Use Eyeshadow as Blush
How to Apply Eye Cream
New Beauty Products We Need to Try ASAP
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...