A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
810 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Andy Goldsworthy Themed Ice Sculpture  (Read 6413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xtHEgRAYpILGRIMx
« on: May 12, 2009 06:25:46 PM »

Bonjour my fellow craftsters! So, one of my all time famous artists is Andy Goldsworthy! I love his deep respect for nature and all of his work is just amazing! here is a few of his amazing pieces:

So, one of the things that he does is make sculptures out of icicles. I attempted to replicate these....and after many failed attempts, frustration and minor frost bite. here is how they turned out. Let me know what you think. And i am sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but by the time i finsihed making the sculpture it was getting dark, and i had to take the pictures because out the whole sun=melting ice  Angry....so yucky pictures! Sorry!

and again, sorry for the poor quality of the pictures! And i know they are know Andy goldsworthy! but i really enjoyed making it...except for the frost bite...lol Hope you enjoyed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone."-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
imxriotxhere
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009 07:13:05 PM »

That's so cool! How do you do it? I'll have to wait a while, because it just started getting consistently warm here:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 01:28:12 AM »

That's brilliant! How did you get the icicles to freeze together? I love the look of them, especially with all the dark trees behind them. Andy Goldsworthy's great, isn't he? Make's me want to have a go at making similar things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorbetsurprise
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009 02:51:17 AM »

I did a project on Goldsworthy when I was back in college just because we had his book in the library and liked looking at the pictures.  I don't even think it was very relevant to the subject!  Really nice pictures and I bet it was frustrating too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xtHEgRAYpILGRIMx
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009 06:08:25 PM »

How did you get the icicles to freeze together?

Well....it took MUCH trial and error! But finally, i discovered a relatively effective combination of dipping the icicles in water, then snow, then water then snow...and so on until it made like a slush, and then i had to hold it in place with my hands until it hardened...cold! lol And sometimes i would have to use saliva when they wouldn't stick...fun. lol It was fun though! minus the frostbit! Thanks for the feedback everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone."-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009 03:38:05 AM »

I always loved Andy Goldsworthy's stuff and its easy to see that its no simple feat to pull of what he does with what seems like effortlessness. Great job! Thats more dedication than I probably have  Cheesy But I get cold in the summer too so I'd probably be dead of hypothermia if I tried what you pulled off. Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessPeter4
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009 12:35:22 PM »

Wish I had been home to see that one Sister.  I like the picture with the cabin in the background though.  And the one of you wearing the Black Dog hat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pin Wheel Stitching Comparison
The Disadvantage of Loom Knitting
How To Make Inexpensive Glamorous Christmas Decorations
How to Start a Basic Crochet Blanket
How to Select the Right Size Knitting Ring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...