A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dresser - To paint or not to paint?  (Read 2781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amandacatherine
« on: June 28, 2009 11:51:18 AM »

I picked this sideboard up for $20 at a yard sale yesterday with the intention of painting it raspberry, taking off the cabinet door and using it as a dresser. I proudly showed a few people a picture of my find and they begged me not to paint it. I felt torn so I took this to another decorating community where it was the same thing - half of the people telling me to paint it if I want to and the other half screaming "DON'T!". So I wanted another place for advice, because now I do not know what to do with it.

So, should I paint this? Should I leave it alone?

I also considered staining it with a red stain but after looking into the steps, it seems out of my comfort zone. I really don't want to mess this piece up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
Lody
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009 12:13:27 PM »

I'd say if you *like* it the way it is, leave it--it's nice and you'd be sad if you liked it less after.  If it doesn't match your decor or you aren't that much a fan or whatever, paint it!  Personally, I don't find it awesome as it is, whereas I can totally see its potential if it was painted, maybe with different colors on the "strips" and drawers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009 12:28:57 PM »

Dont paint it! That piece is amazing!!! I would definitely change the hardware, but other than that, it is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
bibe
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009 12:39:32 PM »

Sometimes pictures are deceiving. Is the finish in good shape? Any scratches? Scuffs? Things like that? Is it real wood, or that fake veneer stuff? Does it fit with your decor?

Just because it's old, doesn't make it an 'antique'. If I bought a piece of furniture from, say, Walmart, would that be considered an antique piece of furniture in 30 years?

I like the shape of the furniture, it has good clean lines. If it was a fancy piece with all this great woodwork and whatnot, I might leave it as is, but I say paint it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindy065
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009 01:04:26 PM »

i vote do not paint
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amandacatherine
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 01:08:41 PM »

It's in good condition. The only marks or scratches are the one you can see on the front in that photo (on the left side of the middle drawer) and a few scratches on top and a nick on the left side, which you can also kind of see in the picture. Otherwise, it's held up pretty well.

I'm not sure if it's real wood. It's probably easy to spot, but I'm not to smart when it comes to that kind of stuff Tongue It has a metal tag on that inside that says "J.B. Van Shiver & CO". Not sure if that makes it anymore credible or not.

I'm going to paint my room a green/blue mint color. I have yet to pick out a comforter set or curtains, but here's the other thing I picked up yesterday (for free!) that will be going in as well...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
theshipshape
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009 03:30:15 PM »

Oh! Please don't paint it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009 04:39:29 PM »

OMG I love that chair! You have great luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
tomico
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009 05:47:18 PM »

Hey, I have just learned the wonders of contact paper. It is temporary and not as likely to ruin the surface. You could also change it out so that when you change the decor you can change the look again.

I prefer wood tones but I like dark woods. I would recommend picking up a book on refinishing if you are interested in trying to change the tones at all. I like Black and Decker Home Improvement Library: Refinishing and Finishing Wood. It shows you how to tell what type of finish you have on the item and ways to alter or fix things.

Sorry if I wasn't a whole lot of help but I did want you to know you had some more alternatives.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009 06:06:37 PM »

Please - don't paint it - don't even use contact paper --- at least until you do some research

Just my quick google of J.B. Van Shiver & CO  (finds Sciver) turns up a considerable number of sites with information about this furniture manufacturer and antique forums with questions of value.  

The beauty in the lines of this really make me think there might be some real value there
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009 06:07:24 PM by longtimegeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nick Woodman Talks About the GoPro Cameras
Canon 7D Hands-on
How to Transform a Room Into a Camera Obscura
How to Make a Pinhole Camera
How to Light a Fashion Shot
Latest Blog Articles
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...