A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I HURT!  (Read 4116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MtyAphrdti
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005 01:50:39 PM »

Since I broke my toe really badly, I've been sitting and knitting like mad.  8hrs at times hehe  But, it has made my shoulders and neck so damn sore!   Probably because what I've been knitting is rather heavy material when all is said and done.  I've never had my wrists bother me though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roe
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005 02:02:47 PM »

wow, it is so comforting to know that i am not alone with this. and that maybe a few days rest will help and i can keep up my habit (hobby). i think mine is more muscle soreness too, the only thing that really concerns me is the numbness i experience when laying down. but hopefully it will all be over soon.  thanks for all your comments.

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005 05:59:39 PM »

I have to urge you to see a medical professional about this.  (Or at least mention this at your next scheduled check-up!)

Until then, take some time to examine how you knit.  How's your posture when you knit?  Are you tensing up?  Do you take breaks?  Do you stretch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005 06:03:04 PM »

Well, if your muscles are sore, and they are inflammed, they CAN pinch nervers.  Particularly if any of your neck or shoulder muscles are having problems.  I might also suggest finding a really COMFORTABLE position to knit it.  I find my arm, neck and shoulder pain is less if I'm sitting with legs elevated, like longwise on a couch or in a recliner, with good support for my MIDDLE back.  (Just below the shoulder blades.  Too much higher and whatever is supporting your back can actually shove it into a certain position, causing more pain.)

I agree about seeing a medical professional, too.  For myself, I have a bad back to start with, and most of my pain can be traced to that root cause.  Bad back equals weak muscles, equals shoulders that overcompensate, etc.  That's the case with other activities besides knitting as well.  And because of my back, I've had lots of experience defining what is "normal" pain and what isn't.  If you don't have that kind of experience, I'd definitely suggest seeing a doctor, or at least calling and asking if they'd LIKE to see you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Roe
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005 06:16:54 PM »

I agree about seeing a medical professional, too.  For myself, I have a bad back to start with, and most of my pain can be traced to that root cause.  Bad back equals weak muscles, equals shoulders that overcompensate, etc.  That's the case with other activities besides knitting as well.  And because of my back, I've had lots of experience defining what is "normal" pain and what isn't.  If you don't have that kind of experience, I'd definitely suggest seeing a doctor, or at least calling and asking if they'd LIKE to see you.

interesting you mentioned a bad back, before this arm thing occurred i was having serious back problems, like a pinched nerve or something causing it to hurt me when i twist. then I hurt my arm knitting and the back thing went away. I think i'll go in if it's still hanging around tomorrow. I can't take much more of this, the whole not knitting is the worst.

thanks guys, i really appreciate all the help and concern.

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005 06:18:57 PM »

My boyfriend gets that pain (elbow to shoulder) when he plays acoustic guitar too often...without stretching Smiley  As well as weight lifting.. he recently had to take 2 weeks off..he is not entirely healed, but getting better.  Good old fashion, "tennis elbow"!! Does this sound familiar?? http://my.webmd.com/hw/arthritis/hw225375.asp  

Here are recommended home treatments (from that site...)
You can treat your tennis elbow by:

~Stopping or changing activities that may irritate the tendon. Learn new techniques for certain movements and use different equipment that may reduce the stress on your forearm muscles.

~Reducing pain. Use ice and pain medication to help reduce discomfort.

~Wearing an elbow splint. Elbow splints hold the elbow in a bent position and do not allow the elbow joint to move. Splints are used only for a short period of time to allow the muscles and tendons to rest and heal.

For Justin...we did various stretches during recovery... along with using http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku=DF297/catid=2007/pcatid=20  It's really hard to explain...but it's a battery operated ball... once you start it spinning, you rotate your write to keep it in motion..it's great exercise.

He also wore a tennis elbow brace.  We bought ours at Walmart for $8 (near the pharmacy), but here is an example http://elasticsupports.com/tenelbracwit.html  Use it for recovery...but don't get too attach, your muscles still need to heal.

Here are some of the exercises we used... http://www.tennis-elbow-treatments.com/pages/tennis_elbow_exercise.php

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
box of purls
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005 06:32:12 PM »

I have had this problem too, but mostly in my hands, I am going to see about holding my yarn/needles differently.  Also I get shoulder/neck pain, from sitting at my desk at work too long, like others have said, a good way to alleviate some of this is to take breaks and stretch (which I forget to do). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roe
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005 08:46:06 AM »

Thanks everybody for all your help and support. I'm happy to report my arm is feeling much better. Its still a little stiff, but definitely better. I've learned a lot from this experience. I am now aware of my posture when i knit and I'm going to start taking lots of stretching breaks. I do not want to repeat this, it was awful. I'm also probably going to see an acupuncturist just to be on the safe side.

thanks again and never take your arms for granted!

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lsm
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005 09:46:39 AM »

There have been several studies done which show that B6 helps (do a google).  My mother swears by the stuff.  I've been taking one a day since I was diagnosed w/carpal tunnel a couple of weeks ago and the pain is mostly gone - without the surgery which the doctor was recommending.  His alternative suggestion was to stop knitting and get off the computer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roe
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005 02:16:03 PM »

His alternative suggestion was to stop knitting and get off the computer. 

EEK! Why would he even suggest that. I learned how to knit continental and i haven't had any pain since. But i think i will add the B6 and be double protected. Thanks for the advice!

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Necklaces
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Learn How to Make Hemp Jewelry
How to Make a Woven Yarn Friendship Bracelet
How to Make A Woven Yarn Friendship V Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...