A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I HURT!  (Read 3921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Roe
« on: April 06, 2005 08:41:01 AM »

I can no longer knit due to severe soreness in my right arm which I believe was caused from knitting. I've never experienced anything like this before. Is it possible to develop carpal tunnel syndrome from knitting if I've only been knitting for six months? Knitting has been my way to de-stress at night, it's been my only hobby and i am sad to loose it. taking these last few days off from knitting has been terrible for me. I hope to heal soon and join the rest of you.

any advice on how to avoid this in the future would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005 08:56:50 AM »

how do you knit?  english or continental?  supposedly, continental is easier on the ol' wrists...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005 09:17:06 AM »

A wrist brace might help too. They can usaully be bought at drugstores and aren't that expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justlease
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005 09:19:21 AM »

I knit continental now, and I never have any pain in my wrist area whatsoever like I did when I knit english (throwing).  But after real extended periods of knitting, I do usually wind up with a real soreness in the muscles in my upper right arm and that's really annoying.

If you're having problems with carpel tunnel, I'd suggest giving yourself a break, and learning continental or combined knitting.  If you already know how to crochet, transitioning from english to continental or combined knitting is a piece of cake, since you hold the yarn basically the same way for continental knitting as you do when you crochet.

This web site has fantastic video clips of all kinds of knitting techniques, in both continental and english.  Check it out:  www.knittinghelp.co m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
beebiz

Pool on the roof must have a leak.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005 11:24:53 AM »

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.  Not glad to hear you hurt.  I was working on socks and my whole left arm went to aching like crazy from the way I was holding the tiny little needle in my left hand.  I stopped for a couple of days, and it got better.  Now, I've been working on a tee, and the fingers on my left hand feel like stuffed sausages.  I could barely bend them the other day.  My hubby said I had knitted myself some arthritus.  NOOOOOO!  I was going to take the day off, but I'm way too compulsive for that.  I do think I'm going to be heading out for some wrist braces.  It sucks because I'm at the point where I'm actually getting pretty good at knitting.  My hands/wrists/arms will NOT stop me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005 11:57:56 AM »

I was working on socks and my whole left arm went to aching like crazy from the way I was holding the tiny little needle in my left hand.  I stopped for a couple of days, and it got better.  Now, I've been working on a tee, and the fingers on my left hand feel like stuffed sausages.

Any numbness, swelling or persistent pain that limits your movement or your ability to execute normal tasks is a problem that merits investigation. Stop knitting. Go to a doctor or a naturopath or whatever health professional you prefer. Go. Don't be silly and work your way into something more serious. Even hand-knit socks aren't worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roe
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005 12:54:50 PM »

thanks for all the advice everyone. I knit english (throw) and it's not my wrist that hurts. it's my arm starting at my elbow all the way up to my shoulder. I can't straighten my arm at all because of the pain it causes me. I think it's from throwing the yarn around the needle because if I try to repeat that motion, it hurts. i've gotten a book on acupressure  and The Miracle Ball Method book. Hopefully the combination of this and not knitting for a few days is all it will take. I really hope it's nothing more serious. I'd hate to think I damaged myself by doing the only thing that relieves stress for me.

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005 01:21:47 PM »

Good luck, Roe!  You make such beautiful things, it's a shame that you can't knit right now.  I find that my arm hurts  (usually up to the elbow but sometimes further up) when I knit really tightly.  It's not a joint pain but a muscle soreness.  I am a tight knitter anyway, so I have to make a conscious effort to loosen up.  I didn't do that last week when I started a project, and even though it was a really small one, it hurt me for days. Btw, I am left-handed and knit continental but it was my right arm that was hurting me.  Hope you find solace soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
NeNe
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005 01:34:22 PM »

I am a relatively new, and tense, knitter.  I have found that taking breaks and stretching helps to relieve some of the soreness.  This is diffucult because, I, too, am compulsive and will knit for hours.  Also, taking a day off from projects helps as well.
I hope you feel better soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005 01:49:01 PM »

When I first started knitting, I found it quite painful.  My entire arm would hurt, moreso if I was doing a lot of purling.  As I've knit more, it has gotten better, but that makes me want to knit for longer bouts, and then I still end up hurting.  For me it's a muscle pain as well.  Not debilitating, just sore, and I have to take breaks.

I find that having other projects to work on is a good idea.  With some regularity, switch between a knitted project and a crocheted one, or between straight and circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...