A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another website opinions thread!  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluxxii
« on: June 28, 2009 12:24:22 AM »

link removed for the time being. i am impulsively deleting everything and starting over!! aaahh!!

-------------------------------------------

So, I worked on my site for a little too long. The clouds got to me, I guess, because I deleted my layout and downloaded a premade template...something I thought I'd never do! Tongue I'm in the process of designing a logo, but I have no idea where to start. Below is what I have so far - what are your opinions? You can definitely tell me that it's a bad concept and that I need to start over, because I totally wouldn't mind. As you can tell, it's been a frustrating journey for me.

The site is an online shop with handmade items by independent crafters, but it also doubles as a resource for various mental health issues. Overall it promotes positive mental health and provides resources and information to those who are interested, so I'm hoping that the logo would encompass ideals along those lines.

What I've designed is definitely not a finished product, and I'm not sure if it's suitable for a logo. Any ideas? Suggestions/comments/opinions? I would definitely appreciate any and all input! Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 04:29:11 PM by nilubol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009 07:02:24 AM »

It seems logical at this point, though I found myself clicking more than I like, it seems to be fairly deep subject matter, so a lot of things to look at is probably better than if it was a typical website.

The front page, though, I think could use less blog and more description of what your site is about. The tiny lettering in the conversation cloud is too small, and search engines can't "read" it and will like it better if that text was on your page AS text, giving more meaning to the page in spider speak (so to speak).

Then you could put the "click to learn how" thing into the conversation cloud and have that as the clickable link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluxxii
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009 01:44:28 PM »

Yeah, you're definitely right about the whole image thing. I've been keeping that text there as a placeholder for now, but I'm thinking of replacing it with FLIR so that the fonts don't get ugly and for SEO. Tongue

Thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PatDaniels
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009 07:54:35 PM »

First impressions last the longest, and you definitely nailed it with this website. Many people will be attracted to your amazing, cute, vector layout. However, your blog titles sort of take away from this effect as they are all cut in half, as in only the bottom half of each letter shows. I didn't dive into your coding to find the problem - it's late at night, haha - but make sure you always test your site across several browsers. I am using Internet Explorer 7.

I didn't realize you were running WP until I clicked a "Read More" link (which is good, I never like when a site keeps the default WP overall style as the main page), but I'm sure you can still fix the problem that occurs on that page in IE7. There's a big empty space below "You must be logged in to post a comment."

I agree with CraftyChef that the description text on the main page is too small (I actually am quite fond of small text, but I admit I was squinting and I have good vision) and that it should be actual text for SEO purposes and general search engine indexing. You can do this (well, I'm not sure with WP; I've never used it) by using a cleverly coded DIV by editing the margins with CSS to position it into the bubble. This way you can keep that style but also make it real text. Er, you also spelled "simultaneously" wrong.

That click-through product album is also quite surprising and fun. I thought it was just going to take me to some product page (though that would be helpful) but the animation was awesome! Though you should change the background color to somewhat match the background, even though it's a gradient.

I also love how you're an advocate of zines and distros. I made my own zine once - yeah, I think I'm too lazy for it, but so is everyone who does zines - and maybe I'll do it again sometime. Or run a distro! Who knows! Lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluxxii
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009 11:03:25 PM »

I'm glad you like the front page; I think that is where all of my insecurities came from. I already know the source of the problem with the blog titles and while I was coding, hoped to god that it wouldn't show up (I checked the site in IE8 and Firefox and didn't see anything wrong)...it didn't for me, at least. Tongue Ah well, another thing to put on my to do list!

You're definitely right about the text being way too small. And thanks for catching the "simultaneously!" I reread it over and over trying to catch mistakes but totally missed that one. Most of the other design stuff you pointed out is all stuff that I've already put in the "do it later" pile - when I work on a site, I like to get everything decent looking and then slowly work on the pages to get them the way I like them.

Anyway, thanks a ton for your post! It's really helpful, although it also reminds me of how much more work I need to do...can't wait to get this thing done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluxxii
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009 04:29:40 PM »

Hey! I updated the post! Some new comments would be great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009 06:54:17 AM »

On the logo I think it would be a better match of the target audience if the head was a woman, and the image as a whole more modern and a bit snappier. And if you use a legible font inside the brain you don't have to write the name below. The scribbles inside the brain bring mental chaos or disorganization to mind, which is what you're trying to avoid, yes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
Dipped in Chocolate Desserts
Almond Snowballs Recipe
Spirited Bourbon-Pecan-Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...