A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted Suitcase  (Read 2443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyChicaAZ
Crafty Chica!

http://www.CraftyChica.com

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2009 12:17:26 AM »

I painted this suitcase in June 2007 and it is still holding cup strong!

I photo blogged about my suitcase recently and how it stood ot in a sea of bland bags. Seriously, this is a GREAT idea. Recently I had to change flights minutes before departure. The attendant had to call the luggage people to retrieve my bag.

What does it look like? she asked me.

It's purple! And covered with paint and glitter! I replied.

She speaks into the phone receiver to the luggage person: It's purple and has glitter... and then she looks up at me and says They found it!

See? It also is perfect for when you are waiting for your bag to come out of the conveyor contraption. You will be able to spot it right away!

Not only that, but traveling is about letting loose and relaxing, so why not add that bouncy energy to your wheelie wares? It doesn't mean you have to go all funkadelic on your Samsonite, but you at least could take a rubber stamp to it. If you have a red suitcase, imagine how cute shiny white polka dots or swirlies would look all over it? Or maybe the names of your favorite cities around the world.

If you want to give this idea a try, but don't want to touch your pristine designer set, visit a local thrift store and pick up a small carry-on bag for those little excursions. This is also a wonderful project for kids to take on to help burn off pre-trip excitement.

I also added Crafty Chica varnish to the painted areas, and accented everything with a Tulip Crystal Icycle 3D Fashion Paint. To top it ALL off - I sprtized the whole thing with Tulip Glitter Spray.

Here is a crafty chica secret: If you want to add a layer of sparkles to your paint projects - Tulip's "Crystal" line does the trick. I usually use Icicle, which dries clear, but if you use other shades, it will dry with just a hint of color - plus the sparkles, of course. You just squeeze some out and rub it (or brush) it on over the painted surface. Argh, it kills me to give up these little tricks, but oh well, if it works for you and makes you happy - it makes me happy too. Besides, there are lots of other Crystal crafty secrets in my bag of tricks, but I'll share those another time...

Painted Suitcase

Supplies
1 soft suitcase, preferably with a fabric covering
1 roll of blue painter's tape
Assorted brushes
1 bottle of water-based white craft paint to be used as a base coat
Assorted water-based craft paints (Crafty Chica paints!)

Optional: Fabric images and fabric adhesive, foam stamps, stencils, patches

1 bottle of water-based polyurethane varnish

Directions: Tape off the areas that you do not want to get paint on. Using a wide paintbrush, cover the suitcase with a coat of the white paint. If you are going to be painting it red, or another strong color, mix a bit of that color with the white. Let dry.

Brush on the desired paint color all over the suitcase. Let dry. If you want to add fabric images, brush on a layer of fabric adhesive and affix to the surface, let dry.

Otherwise, add painted accents using paintbrushes, stencils, stamps or anything else you might want. Let dry. Brush on a layer of varnish, let dry and repeat. Remove the tape. Let your freshly painted suitcase air out in your garage for a few days before you take it on vacation.

Variations: Before you add the varnish, brush on a layer of water-based glitter varnish for a sparkly sheen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, love and glitter from Crafty Chica!
http://www.craftychica.com
Check out my new product line and sewing book!
CheetahChiq78
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009 01:07:12 AM »

I didn't see who'd posted this, but as soon as I saw the suitcase I knew EXACTLY who had! It's beautiful!

PS - I'm a fellow Phoenician!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield but to my own strength.
elucidation
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009 02:33:10 AM »

This looks so great Cheesy it's so vibrant Smiley
You've definitely inspired me to pimp my suitcase Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009 06:23:10 AM »

so, you don't need to add fabric medium when you are painting on a suitcase?  i guess because it's not going to be all floppy like clothes, right?  and cos you are never going to be able to put the suitcase in the washing machine. hmmmm....

i think i need to try this on my bright fuschia rolling suitcase (from the flea market Wink ).  i guess it will be a case of toning it down, though, rather than brightening it up - jaja
maybe some nice bold designs in black.
... or lime green?!  can you tell i have a hard time going away from color?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
daydreamcatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009 06:34:16 AM »

I hit the "It Rocks" button because this is such a simple but brilliant idea.  It's practical too, as your story explains.  It should never be lost in a busy airport!  Everyone has a suitcase of some sort and everyone on this site should have paint or ink.  Love it!  Rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfriend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 08:48:14 AM »

okay-one more to add to my "to-do" list. the list is getting very long but this one might have to move to the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChicaAZ
Crafty Chica!

http://www.CraftyChica.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009 09:25:39 AM »

Thanks! This one has held up for two years. I've since added glitter spray too. Try it, it is really easy and is so fun to wheel around! and whne people compliment you on it, you can hand them a business card for your web site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, love and glitter from Crafty Chica!
http://www.craftychica.com
Check out my new product line and sewing book!
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009 09:50:50 AM »

Wait.  Glitter Spray!?  I have never heard of such a wonderous product.  Must. Have. Glitter. Spray.

Fabulous suitcase! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
roccstarr75
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009 09:59:53 AM »

very nice!  I did this once for my daughter.  I covered the entire lower pocket with a scene from a Strawberry Shortcake coloring book, and then her name on the upper pocket.  I love the sparkle paint for sealing it all up, it  makes it look like a professional iron-on.  The only this you have to make sure you wash your brush extra.  I used regular brush on gloss varnish for the scene because I did not want that part glittery, though, and it worked really well.  The whole thing outlasted the suitcase itself!

Tip:  I painted the whole bottom pocket, and her name with a base coat of white before I started.  I was painting on a bright. bubble-gum pink suitcase, and wanted my colors to be more vibrant.  The white made a nice base to pencil in my scene and then painted over very nicely with the colors.  Also, I got a little paint on the rubber piping, but it picked right off after it was dry.

I also love the glitter spray.  I have put on my daughter's jeans, and looks so cool.  I have a lot with it actually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009 11:56:07 AM »

i think this project could convince me to try some products that i previously distrusted... at least the brush on varnish, if not the glitter spray.
although, i am getting convinced of the wonders of glitter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Fingerless Gloves
How to Knit the Knit Stitch
How to Customize Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Knit the Purl Stitch
How to Make a Snowy Candle Lantern
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...