A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poppet hair "How to"  (Read 1925 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2009 05:38:59 PM »

Ok first let me start with saying the wefting technique I use is the same one listed here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195129.20
I use this method to make my strands even:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.msg2495585#msg2495585
and I use freezer paper instead of tape:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.msg2526353#msg2526353

Also please note this tutorial is on how I place my strands aka wefts on the dolls head. There are many other ways to do this this is just what I've found most convenient.
I'd be thrilled if others would share their tips and tricks too!

this is just my experience but I only use lighter weight yarn nothing higher than a #4 worsted weight. I prefer a #3 DK but I am finding it very difficult to find DK yarn in my area at all lately.
next I always have some wefts that look funny:

Click to see full sized
you can see the bare spot in the middle of this one. There's also an area where my stitches nearly ran off the edge of the weft. But it's ok. When you layer the wefts on the head properly it will be fine.
Now everyone put thier wefts on differently. So this is just one method I use.
First when stuffing your poppets body and head make sure to stuff VERY firmly. Also it helps a lot to put a popsicle stick in the back and all the way up the neck. This gives the doll a "spine" and helps her neck support her head when the hair is on it. (just like a person) I have heard if you stuff firmly enough you don't need a spine but I am terrified of bursting a seam.
Next for the demostration of how to place wefts mr bald clone trooper will be assisting:

Please also note for this demonstration I am using weft scraps left over from previous projects. One is a bulky or #5 yarn and I'm only using it for demonstrative purposes.
Ok now I place the first weft starting at the base of one ear right on the side seam.

Then I wrap around the head following the red arrow. If you keep the first weft that low it helps to prevent bald places when you do pig tails.
I pin at the middle seam and then around to just below the ear on the opposite side.
Here's how it looks in place:

Now I typically make very long wefts I plan to change this in the future but it works for now. So I pin at the bottom of the other ear then fold the weft and layer over top of the previous row:

It is very important to put the last seam of the new weft right up against the top seam from the previous one:

Here you want you to focus on the section in the gray circle. You can see in the red rows the first line is the bottom seam on the new weft, and the next line is the top of the first one. they are right up against each other.
This is also to help prevent scalp from showing when you do pigtails or updo's.
I made an example flat with 2 different colors in case you can't see what I mean:

That's from the top this is what you will see from your view if you layer right. No spacing between the wefts.

This is from the underside. You can sort of see through my fuzziness that the strips are right on top of each other.
Then this is the way I position the rest of my wefts:

the red lines indicate how I stack the wefts on top of each other. I also place one weft in front of the ears usually also starting and stopping at the base of the ears. Then I trim it to give bangs/fringe or part it or whatever.

Once you have all the hair on your poppet it will be uneven. I find it much easier to trim the hair every other layer added to make it even. If you are doing a shorter style then I wait till I have all the hair on the doll and trim it close to the length I want and then even it out.
I hope this is helpful to others!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009 05:48:55 PM »

Thank you  lovely Eliea. I will try this with the next one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009 05:53:55 PM »

If in the process something doesn't make sense please feel free to hollar for me! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009 05:55:28 PM »

If in the process something doesn't make sense please feel free to hollar for me! lol

Who needs to weft, I have E6000 now. ')
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
McBec27
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009 06:57:02 AM »

Thanks so much! I made a cap for my second one (still need to do a part for it) using Ghilie's wig tute, but it seems kind of bulky. Could just be the yarn I used, but it wasn't super bulky. I can't decide which method I like better. I guess I'll have to make more poppets to help me decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 09:15:54 AM »

Thanks for picture tute. This seems to be the same thing I do, only I don't put on so much for fear of it getting really thick and bulky in the back. I guess I'm just being way to picky about my hair.

I do still have one question though, when you get to the front of the hair (like the bangs), how do you attach that to the head. I always do a weft with no fold over stitching or else that shows (does that make sense?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
littlezo

zoe is my name and crafting is my game ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009 10:01:27 AM »

thank you so much eliea this is a great tute i never new how to do it before  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

may be interested in a personal swap pm if you would like to discuss it

http://www.wists.com/minimaker95

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minimaker/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009 03:11:51 PM »

Thanks for picture tute. This seems to be the same thing I do, only I don't put on so much for fear of it getting really thick and bulky in the back. I guess I'm just being way to picky about my hair.

I do still have one question though, when you get to the front of the hair (like the bangs), how do you attach that to the head. I always do a weft with no fold over stitching or else that shows (does that make sense?).

It does. I make the weft as normal and just make sure my thread matches the yarn really well. I but that stitched part right up against the middle seam.
It does show but not as much as the few dolls I've made without being careful of the thread.

I want to use invisible thread for this particular weft but it isn't a strong enough thickness and breaks under my machines regular tension.

It does get bulky in the back. You could use less wefts if you make your rows of stitching wider on the weft after you fold it over, than mine. So long as the wefts are still right up against each other. You'd have to sew them down a bit more but I think that would totally work.

I have done a few where I just stitch down the middle of the weft then on either side without folding it and use it sort of like a "center part" and place that over the top of the dolls head, but I didn't like it as much. 

But really if that's what you like then go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnarchyCupcakes

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014 11:04:12 AM »

I have never bookmarked a post so fast... this is EVERYTHING.  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anzac Biscuit Recipe
How to Make a Banana Cake with Coconut Gelato and Peanut Brittle
How to Make Coconut Brownie Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bulldog Pupcake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...