A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tatting bag (pic heavy)  (Read 2174 times)
Tags for this thread: tatting , tatted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2009 10:37:40 AM »

For me, part of the fun of learning something new is collecting all the 'stuff' that goes with it. Then, of course, I have to find something to do with it/somewhere to keep it, which is fun too.

I'm learning to tat, and I'm collecting the stuff that goes along with it. Apparently my yard sale mojo has been set on 'high'; just after I started learning, I went to a yard sale that was more of an estate sale. Great Aunt Whoever was a crafty woman, and I could have bought them out wholesale (she really had some cool stuff!) but I only had $10 in my pocket, so I settled for the baggie of tatting stuff.

Zip-top baggies are handy, but not very cool. Clearly, I needed a tatting bag! Grin My first thought was to make a large version of the round jewelry pouch thing with all the pockets in it, but the more I played with the idea and the stuff and a paper mock-up, the bigger it got, until I ended up with this. The outside is the bottom of my bedroom curtains (kind of a fuzzy twill-almost corduroy-ish), and the inside is a from a fat quarter from my stash. I didn't interface it at all, and had to go back in and put a bottom in, with some help from the fine folks on the discussion board. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309558.0;all) I made the lining longer than the outside so that it would lap over and show, and folded the handle sideways to itself so that it was striped.

The pockets go all the way around the inside. The two closest to the side seams are very narrow-big enough for a pencil, or a crochet hook. The others are more or less the same size.

I even made a little needle book to go with it, with a tatted button loop! Er, keep in mind I'm a beginning tatter, please.

And action! Or, what it looked like before I dumped everything out to take pictures...

There are a couple of things I'd do differently. Put a hard(ish) bottom in right from the start, for openers, but also, I'd make the lining/overlap *much* bigger, put a casing around the top and make it a drawstring close. I had a piece of elastic in this and didn't like it-it was too closed. Several of the pockets--like for my glasses--need to be taller so things will stop falling out. Right now I'm thinking of adding ribbon loops above the pockets, see if that helps. I would probably interface the lining, too; one of these days I'm going to learn to just go ahead and interface everything instead of wish I had later. Undecided

All in all though, I'm very pleased! I think it turned out great, and pretty much exactly like what I was picturing in my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009 11:31:07 AM »

This is great! Just seeing the bag of stuff makes me want to pull out my tatting (which I haven't done in forever). This bag would be great, because all my stuff is in the oh, so wonderful zip lock bags. :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009 01:11:23 PM »

What a great tatting bag and what a learning experience you've been on with this project.  Isn't it amazing what we learn by doing?   Smiley

This may not be exactly what you want; the pockets may not be the size you want; etc but you have done a great job with your tatting bag.

Can't wait to see you next one.  Hope you post pics of it here.

Purse Stuff - Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
thecraftygranny
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009 07:44:12 PM »

I think your bag is great.  I love it when I have all my items in an organized manner.  I find that I actually use them more when they are organized.  And as always, we learn as we go.  I could really use something like this, so I'll take your advise and do the pockets a little differently.  And I love the draw string idea too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009 04:15:34 AM »

What a great organizer.  It could be used for just about any sewing/knitting/tatting project.  I want one to keep beside my machine so I can avoid the perpetual hunt for scissor seam ripper!  You could just add any project you want to take along when you're ready to go.  This board is such an inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa C
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009 08:33:16 AM »

I made a bag something like this but I slipped it over the top of a 18 litre icecream bucket, they will give them to you at the icecream places. Anyway this made it stand up nice and sturdy, you can just elastic the outside bottom of the bag instead of making a solid bottom, I also drilled a couple holes in the top of the bucket to hand sew through the bag and bucket to keep it all together. I hope this makes sense I am not very good at discribing things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Blais’ 10-Minute Chicken Dinner
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How to Make a Beautiful Bouquet of Chocolate Bacon Roses
How To Make Chili With A Chocolate Twist
How To Make A Valentine’s Day Dinner With Aphrodisiacs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...