For me, part of the fun of learning something new is collecting all the 'stuff' that goes with it. Then, of course, I have to find something to do with it/somewhere to keep it, which is fun too.
I'm learning to tat, and I'm collecting the stuff that goes along with it. Apparently my yard sale mojo has been set on 'high'; just after I started learning, I went to a yard sale that was more of an estate sale. Great Aunt Whoever was a crafty woman, and I could have bought them out wholesale (she really had some cool stuff!) but I only had $10 in my pocket, so I settled for the baggie of tatting stuff.
Zip-top baggies are handy, but not very cool. Clearly, I needed a tatting bag!
My first thought was to make a large version of the round jewelry pouch thing with all the pockets in it, but the more I played with the idea and the stuff and a paper mock-up, the bigger it got, until I ended up with this. The outside is the bottom of my bedroom curtains (kind of a fuzzy twill-almost corduroy-ish), and the inside is a from a fat quarter from my stash. I didn't interface it at all, and had to go back in and put a bottom in, with some help from the fine folks on the discussion board. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309558.0;all
) I made the lining longer than the outside so that it would lap over and show, and folded the handle sideways to itself so that it was striped.
The pockets go all the way around the inside. The two closest to the side seams are very narrow-big enough for a pencil, or a crochet hook. The others are more or less the same size.
I even made a little needle book to go with it, with a tatted button loop! Er, keep in mind I'm a beginning tatter, please.
And action! Or, what it looked like before I dumped everything out to take pictures...
There are a couple of things I'd do differently. Put a hard(ish) bottom in right from the start, for openers, but also, I'd make the lining/overlap *much* bigger, put a casing around the top and make it a drawstring close. I had a piece of elastic in this and didn't like it-it was too closed. Several of the pockets--like for my glasses--need to be taller so things will stop falling out. Right now I'm thinking of adding ribbon loops above the pockets, see if that helps. I would probably interface the lining, too; one of these days I'm going to learn to just go ahead and interface everything instead of wish I had later.
All in all though, I'm very pleased! I think it turned out great, and pretty much exactly like what I was picturing in my head.