A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine HELP!  (Read 546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

duckiedarling
« on: June 27, 2009 01:44:35 PM »

Help me please!

Sadly, no one actually taught me how to sew, and I keep coming up against all kinds of problems. The most common and annoying one is that MY NEW MACHINE KEEPS JAMMING!

I sew for 2 seconds and then the top thread somehow gets all tangled up around the bobbin holder thingy (I also don't know the names for things). I keep having to stop before I even get started, taking it all apart, check the tension on the bobbin, put it back together, and it just happens all over again.

I don't think the machine is broken. It's less than a year old and I did manage to make a few skirts on it, but I keep coming across this problem, get frustrated, and give up. What do I need to do to fix this?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 01:45:26 PM by duckiedarling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009 02:09:23 PM »

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/09/27/thread-nests-and-wads-on-the-underside-how-to-fix-it.aspx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

duckiedarling
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009 02:38:03 PM »

Thanks, I hadn't seen this site. When I forgive my machine, I'll try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
19libra86
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009 03:58:25 PM »

Today I broke a needle...

I changed it for a new one and the thread went all over the place when I started sewing. I checked the needle and saw that the 'hole' where you're supposed to thread it, was pointing to one side instead of to the center.

I changed the needle for a new one, checking it before, and placing it correctly in my sewing machine. This time the hole was on the center and the sewing machine worked fine!

Maybe you should check your needle!

BTW... I am also teaching myself (OK, with the help of crafster's members) and it's hard work, but so pleasing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
duckiedarling
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009 07:51:58 PM »

I checked my  needle and it doesn't look bent or anything. I'd change it anyway, just to check, but it's the last one I have for that fabric.

It is hard work! When it goes right, I love it, but lately I end up with nothing but frustration. Craftster is loads of help of course, but I think I should find a good book for some extra tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 10:16:00 AM »

Sometimes the machine manual will have some troubleshooting tips in it for situations like yours.  Have you read through it so you are familiar with your machine?  It's probably something simple, like not holding the thread tails out of the way when you first start sewing a seam.  That's the one that gets me most often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

duckiedarling
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009 02:44:12 PM »

My manual isn't too helpful. All it says when this happens to un-jam it and try again which doesn't actually solve the problem. I cleaned it, replaced the needle, and rethreaded the thread. I got a few more stitches this time; I'm going to try the tension this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Straight-Off-the-Runway Hairstyle in 30 Seconds
Do You Shampoo Too Often?
Celebrity Hair Style: The Lob Trend
Product Round Up: Top Brushes For Volume & Teasing
Backstage at the Lela Rose Show With Celebrity Hairstylist Ted Gibson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...