A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottle/Vial Pendants-- What kind of liquid used?  (Read 8034 times)
Tags for this thread: gel , globe , floral_setting_resin , vial , bottle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009 07:14:26 PM »

Hey everybody. I would like to try my hand at making a bottle/vial pendant necklace. I really love the ones that oddmentsandtweaks(sp?) does and I would like to make something in the same vein. Does anyone know what kind of liquid is used inside pendants like these? I'm trying to find some info, but no luck. I thought that it might be similar to what is used in snow globes but I'd like to get any ideas from you crafty jewelry makers if you have any.

Thanks in advance!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Circlesofstone
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009 05:57:51 AM »

I'd like to know the same thing. I've tried a few versions on my own. First with mineral oil, of course the food coloring didn't mix. Then I tried glycerin, the coloring mixed well and I liked the look, but some of the liquid eventually seeped through the cork stopper. I think I need a different stopper. I've also tried just colored water, but after a while the coloring faded.

Anyone else have these problems? Any advice?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009 10:31:27 AM »

I'm not sure who oddmentsandtweaks is, or what exactly she's doing, but there's lots of info on making "snowglobes" and waterglobes on this page at my polymer clay site (since polymer clay has often been used in or on waterglobes):
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm

Sealing the cap/top (whichever type is used) is definitely a problem --especially if the globe will be upside down a lot of the time-- but various glues can be used (2-part epoxy, silicone based like E6000 or aquarium glue) with various types of tops.  
Avoiding an air bubble at the top can be a problem too.

As for liquids, that depends on what kinds of bits are inside (material, weight, etc) and how quickly you'd want them to "fall."  Generally, a mix of 50% glycerin with 50% distilled water is good for most things.  Somewhat less glycerin can be used because it's expensive, but 50% or more is best for lightweight things. (See more possibilities on the page linked to above.)
You'll also need to watch out for colors bleeding into the liquid if you have any that aren't colorfast, and icky stuff growing inside (but not if you use the distilled water and/or even add waterbed conditioner, etc.).  If you want colored water, mixing it into the distilled water then mixing in the glycerin should work fine since they're all water-soluble.
(Btw, if you use any polymer clay inside the liquid, darker colors can show up what looks like a whitish coating over time too which is just the clay having absorbed a tiny bit of water into its surface).

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 10:35:55 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Circlesofstone
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009 06:44:36 AM »

Diane,

Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I will definitely go to the glassattic website. I did seal my vials with the 2-part epoxy but eventually the glycerine migrated through the cork. I'm thinking a different type of stopper would work better. I guess the cork is just too porous.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladonna_berry
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009 09:30:28 PM »

what about that candle gel stuff?
Gel candles are always used to suspend things, and you can also color it. I'm sure if you can play your cards right you can get it so that it barely has any bubbles in it.
I'm sure sealing the cork with epoxy glue will stop any leakage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009 09:52:10 PM »

Thanks guys. Diane B. I looked at your site. It was awesome, so much info! Once I read it all I'm sure it will help.

Belladonna_berry, I'm going to look into that, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009 11:34:11 AM »

I don't know if the candle gel stuff is the same as "floral setting resin" (that's the clear gel stuff that's used inside clear vases to hold the stems of silk flowers in place, and also in "fake aquariums", etc), but any of those products would probably be a good bet as long as you only want to suspend the items in place.  If you wanted them to move around though, they wouldn't work.
(There's more info on the "floral setting gel," which is actually an uber-safe type of epoxy resin, on this page of my site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/other_materials.htm ...click on Softer Setting Epoxy Resins )

Oh, and also, I just looked at her new site and saw some of her bottles.  She does say on one of them that the cork is sealed in with "water-proof silicone glue" so that could mean aquarium glue or another silicone glue.  If hers don't get shaken around a lot, or sit on their heads, the seal wouldn't be as important though... perhaps she even seals at least the bottom part of her corks with a permanent white glue, polyurethane, etc, then dries, before inserting into the bottle to make them less porous.

She also says she used "orange oil" to fill in one of the bottles, though she doesn't mention what she used for the clear or other-colored ones.  It looks like the materials may still be liquid however (though hard to tell since we can't move them to find out), in which case they wouldn't be the gels above.  
(She does avoid the whole issue of getting a bubble though since she just doesn't fill her bottles to the top.)

If you're interested in many more "small-bottle" possibilities (including possibilities for tops/stoppers/caps/etc), you might have a good time on this page of my site too:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/BOH.htm

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 11:50:10 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Break the Cycle and Never Go Back
What Does the Second Amendment Actually Mean?
Dr. Henry Cloud Offers the Key to Success to Continually Move Forward
Can You Fall Back in Love with Your Spouse?
Top 10 Notes: Jane Eyre
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...