A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double nine patch - black and purple - finally finished!!!!  (Read 1357 times)
Tags for this thread: nine_patch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 26, 2009 03:44:58 PM »

This has been a 2 year project, starting from when I was pregnant with my little one. I did it sporadically between looking after a newborn who has way too quickly turned into a beautiful 19 month old! With the imminent arrival of #2, I though that i REALLY should finish this project, so here it is:

It was a pattern from a quilting magazine although the pattern was for a white and pastel queen size quilt. I made it slightly bigger by increasing the black border and chose to do it in Black and purple.  The most frustrating part was the back, it was supposed to be plain black, but the fabric shrank horribly in the wash and I had to add the strips to increase the width and length. Thankfully the overall effect that made actually looks quite good. (This has been a really good example of why I bother to wash before I sew!)

Machine quilting a queen+ size on my own was quite an experience. So much fabric to roll and push/pull through the machine! But I got it finished and with 3 months to spare on my Due date! Not sure I will be tackling a queen sized project again n the near future, might do singles for the kids beds!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010 09:33:37 PM by nilmerg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 04:17:59 PM »

This is beautiful.  Congratulations on finishing it!  I love the back, it turned out so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
kiyaani_girl
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 04:55:28 PM »

Very beautiful I love purple and black and I really like the back!  Good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 05:01:00 PM »

GORgeous!  Well worth the two year effort in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009 07:47:26 PM »

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful quilt! And congrats on your new babies (the 19 month old and the second one on its way)! The extra purple stripes on the outside really make this pop, and I highly admire your tenacity to stick with it for 2 years O.O!! Wow! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
yttrium39
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 07:53:21 PM »

That's gorgeous!  And the back was an inspired happy accident -- it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 08:56:07 PM »

oh wow this is just beautiful! And congrats on the babies.. They are lucky to have a quilty mom to make them wonderful blankets to snuggle up under. 
I'm 8 months pregnant and Plan on making most of my new babies clothes, I can't wait to start a quilt out of all the scraps I'll have left over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 10:37:59 PM »

Thanks for your kind comments guys  Grin Hopefully my brother and his wife will appreciate it on their bed when they come to visit next week.

This is only my fourth quilt (My little girl has 3 already), this is the first one I made for me / guests who stay.

I wish you the best making your baby clothes I.D.ten.Terror...th ey are so fiddly and I don't think my dressmaking or sewing machine skills are that good! If you are lucky you will get loads of 'secondhand / preloved clothing which is GREAT!!! The only baby clothes I have ever made are my little girl's sleeping bags. I bought one summer bag 0-6 months, copied it. Bought both of her winter ones 6-18 months, but then copied them for her summer weight bags. When they are $60 - $80 (AU$) each, you can really make a saving making these. I never made the winter weight ones because once I didn't think they were cost effective once you had bought the cotton wadding and the fact that it would take much longer to make with all the quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfriend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009 09:09:49 AM »

The back is great-the whole piece is lovely-but I like it when the back of a quilt is interesting. Great idea and I hope it was worth the two year wait.
thanks,
tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyAlly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009 01:02:07 AM »

This is awesome, I adore the border!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Easy, Affordable Fall Dinner Ideas You Already Have in the Fridge
90 Second Simply Superb Grilled Burger Recipe
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Bacon Tomato Sliders in 90 Seconds
How to Make a 90 Second Chicago Style Hotdog
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...