A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fold-up Nylon Grocery Bag - copy of the "old" Safeway Eco-bags  (Read 3411 times)
Tags for this thread: tote_bag , reusable_grocery_bag , folding_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009 03:14:53 PM »

I am sooo impressed with myself. I have been patting myself firmly on my back.
Back before the (ugly) black "green" bags flooded the market, there were very nice nylon bags available at the Safeway Grocery store

A few times I have bought nylon material with the full intention of copying these bags because they were so great.  However, there would be a project that would need a lining or an interlining or a something or the other else, and I'd use my nylon for it.
So, recently, I decided that I would use the nylon that I'd bought for this bag and make this bag!  That was it, I was absolutely determined.

This is the instructions that I had written out in March '08.
After cutting out the pieces required and sewing them together, this is what I had.

Something that I did that wasn't on the original, was I made little channel-type of things to go along the sides

This was why

I wasn't certain whether I had made the channels large enough to go over the rack arms, but apparently I did.

View from the top

I wish I could say that the rack-arm channels were my very own idea, but they weren't
On Earthday, I received lots of e-mails from various re-usable bag websites and from the major pattern companies.  One of the major pattern companies had a pattern for reusable bags that had these rack-arm channels on either side. I thought that it was a Clever Idea. I also figured (correctly) that it wouldn't be difficult to copy. And it wasn't.

I'd appreciate any feedback that you want to leave (Even if it's just that you think that I'm conceited.)

Thank you for looking.

PS: Did you know that if you used 1 reusable bag, twice a week, you would use 104 fewer plastic bags in 1 year?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 12:45:31 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: moved text » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
stacijane
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 03:46:20 PM »

What a great idea to add the channels on the sides - even if it wasn't your idea!  Grin  I have made myself a reusable bag, now I just need to remember to bring it into the store with me.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 04:04:13 PM »

Thank you, Stacijane.
I have to remember to take my bags with me into the stores.
I welt up badly if I don't. I have a severe skin sensitivity to plastic shopping bags. (It's easier to say I'm allergic to plastic)
I made a bag like the Jordy Bag
 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32204.0
to carry my reusable bags into the store with me. It's great because it holds 7 or 8 reusable bags (folded up) and it helps me to remember to take them into the stores with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
shadowbox

You can catch me cutting paper snow flakes in hell

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 04:46:30 PM »

I love these!
I love reusable bags and hoard them.

But before I started doing that, I hoarded the plastic ones, intent on getting as much use out of them as I could.  I still have a HUGE STASH ( you really do use a lot more then you would think.)  Currently I am cutting them into squares and using them to wrap my husbands sandwiches instead of cellophane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cephalopod Swap! - Organizing - Sent!

Gnome Swap - Crafting! - Sent

One Tiny Mustache Swap - Organizing - Sent 1/2

I am looking to do some personal swaps, I need wall art and lots of it!
bluelodge
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009 05:28:22 AM »

What a great bag.  Nice and wide.  I run the front end of a grocery store.  I see the baggers nostrols flair when they see those narrow bags.  Your baggers must love you.  So much easier and faster to bag with a wide open bag. Very cute on top of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009 08:01:29 AM »

wow what a cool idea.......will you be posting your tutorial.

love the color too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009 10:56:40 AM »

Thank you for your comments.

I hadn't thought of making a tutorial, I could, though.  My "Fabric Lady", Anita, says I worked too hard on it and I put too many seams on it. To make this bag, I used 9 pieces (2 sides, 2 handles, 2 bag-rack channels, a front & back and a bottom.) When I examined the original with Anita, I realized that the original was made with 3 pieces: 2 handles, and a folded over piece with 2 squares cut out of the bottom to make the bottom. And then, there were faux seams put at each corner.

I hadn't thought that maybe the reason the baggers used to not like my reusable bags was because they were too narrow. (Thank you, bluelodge)  I thought that it was just because they weren't trained how to bag groceries in reusable bags. The baggers do seem to prefer the Safeway bags to any of the others. The baggers haven't seen these ones yet; but the people who have, really like them and like the idea of the bag-rack channels. The original Safeway bags didn't have the bag-rack channel, but I'm definitely going to be adding them.

I have made other bags and given them to my mum, and I found that I need to make her smaller bags (She's a senior citizen) because the baggers load down the re-usable bags to the point she can't carry them. The smaller bags are easier for her to carry, because they don't get so loaded down. (furthermore, she has to carry her groceries up a flight of stairs, If they're too heavy, she has to make several trips.) I wouldn't want to be a bagger at a grocery store: you probably can't win. If you put too few groceries in, you'd get into trouble. If you put too many in, you'd get into trouble. Perhaps if people weren't in so much of a rush, the baggers could ask whether us shoppers want the bags stuffed or not ... ? Maybe baggers could be trained to stuff less in senior citizens' bags?

I get the most comments on the ones I made from QueenofDIY's tutorial. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0)
I think because I made them out of neat prints. but they need something like the bag-rack handles attached as well. I just don't know where you'd put them.

Thank you all again for your comments: and I will work on making a tutorial.

I'd like to know: Which would everyone rather? a 9 piece, or a 3 piece?
[/size]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 01:23:55 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: moved text » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009 12:38:16 PM »

I love these!
I love reusable bags and hoard them.

But before I started doing that, I hoarded the plastic ones, intent on getting as much use out of them as I could.  I still have a HUGE STASH ( you really do use a lot more then you would think.)  Currently I am cutting them into squares and using them to wrap my husbands sandwiches instead of cellophane.

I'm glad to hear, shadowbox, that I'm not the only one to haord reusable bags (don't ask how many I have: You don't want to know {actually, I don't know: I've been squirreling them all over the house, so that when my husband finds one of my stashes of them, he won't ask why I have so many.  Does that mean that I have ... too many?  Nah: no such thing!})

Reusing plastic bags isn't easy, especially when you have lots of them. Googling "reusing plastic grocery bags", there are lots of the usual ideas: doggy cleanup bags, diaper bags, crocheting material (make mats or a reusable bag) garbage bags for vehicles. One suggestion is to stuff them into a leftover paper towel roll, so you have them for your vehicle. Another person suggests putting them into pill bottles to keep them handy for vehicle garbage bags. Somone else suggests stuffing a plastic bag with shredded paper and using them to help keep your handbags in shape in storage. Another suggests using them as covers for your gardening shoes (I'd be leery of that, since I'm a touch Klutzy and have a tendency to falling down.) Kitty Litter bags, Picnic cleanup bags, Use a plastic bag to separate your current sewing or knitting projects or other hobbies. It is right there to start anytime you need it. Recycling your crushed tin cans and plastic bottles. Cover your plants to protect them from a frost. An emergency pair of plastic pants to put over your baby's diaper. A signal that your vehicle has broken down along a highway. A pair of disposable gloves for handling greasy and grimy projects. A disposable wind sock to see which way the wind is blowing. A campfire starter with a bag full of collected twigs. A kitchen drawer liner. Use at garage sales and flea markets even if you are just buying, take a few plastic bags along for your purchases. There are a lot of ideas out there.

Personally, I used to use them to roll out the pastry between. One caution, be sure you use a clean bag and don't use the side with writing on.  It makes cleanup much easier after you have your pie in the oven.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 12:41:00 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: my use of PGB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009 02:05:31 PM »

Hey, everybody! I got it onto here ... I hope that it works for you.
I wasn't certain whether i was supposed to add it onto here, or make a new one, so I added another post

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311133.0

Hope you enjoy it.
Thank you for looking and Please leave feedback. Thanks.

Oh, and, if you make one, using the tutorial, please post it so we can all see it. (Either here on this post, or on the tutorial post.) Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 03:37:50 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: request for pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009 02:36:54 PM »

Okay! I made another tutorial! This one has fewer pieces than the first one did. (5 pieces as opposed to 9 pieces.)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311421.0

Photos and feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Irving on Theatricality in Fiction
John Irving on the Sexuality of In One Person
John Irving on the Power of Secrets
John Irving on Family Dysfunction in Literature
John Irving on Abortion and Gay Rights in His Novels
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...