A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Regency dress (shit, this whiteness makes me feel like I'm about to get married)  (Read 26267 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , regency , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009 01:13:15 AM »

Sooo, I've wanted to try my hands on make a Regency dress for some time now and I finally got my butt around to doing it. I found this lovely set of sheets in a store that I simply fell in love with, it's cotton satin or something like that, which was perfect since I wanted 100% cotton but still something slightly more special than just the normal boring kind of cotton. And it's also subtly patterned, which was just as perfect since I wanted it white but not entirely plain.

You can't really see the pattern on the pictures of the dress though I'm afraid, which is a real bummer.

Anyway, I'm not fully content with two of the seams, but other than that I really like it and feel very much at home in it. Guess who's going to be wearing this a lot this summer ^^

Soooo, anyway.

Back: (yes, I'm starting off showing the behind cause that's the side I like the most *smiles*)

Front:

Sitting down:

Close up on the pattern:

The pattern is very subtle, and even more so on photos, it's really rather hard to capture. So just because I really like it and because I think it's amusing that only part of the fabric gets transparent when wet I decided to pour some water on part ofit to show of the pattern better, in case you fuond it hard to see on the previous picture:

I think I need to get myself a coloured ribbon ("Not red" my brother commented smug) to tie around the waist for wearing in public, as it is I'm a bit afraid it'll come off slightly too much like a budget or low key wedding dress.

Anyway, any constructive criticism to give?
Or just honest opinions in general ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
daisyfresh
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 01:23:12 AM »

Absolutely beautiful!!! It's winter here in Australia so I also immediately thought how unbelievably cute a short version would look with some opaque tights. But it really is exquisite as is, well done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 01:26:31 AM »

ohhh, that does sound unbelievably cute! you should do that =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 01:28:21 AM »

Oh, great! I've been discussing the making of a regency dress with my sister a lot recently, so I totally can relate... and I love it!

Did you use a pattern for it, or did you create it yourself?

I'd suggest getting a black velvet ribbon to go with it. And black velvety flats. Smiley (I've got such pair, thrifted, recently, and love them, so I'm biased that way...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009 01:32:48 AM »

Oh my god I'd wear this every single day. I must make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 01:34:55 AM »

marmota- black velvet sounds brilliant! And yeah, I made my own pattern. I'm surprised how easy the sleeves came together since I've never done puffy thingies before. it's a very simple design, so... no need for patterns =)

Sarah- You have no idea how great the temptation is ^^ To bad I'll have to watch it every now and then...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tarriknits
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 01:47:13 AM »

I'm making three regency style dress at the moment: a day dress and an evening down for myself and a day dress with an evening pelaise for my friend.

I'm not using a pattern either and have never made a dress beofre but the style and shape of it are so easy.

don't you just feel incredibally girly and feminine wearing it!

Yours looks beautiful, i especially like the shape and laceing of the back of the bodice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 01:54:11 AM »

ohhh, lovely tarriknits! How ambitiuos do make that defined versions. I mainly madea dress with details I like, trying to keep it suitable for warm summer darys =) The lacing is purely practical though- not for decroation. It had to have some kind of way of opening or closing I mean and it's not like I was going to add a zipper *smiles*
and oh yes, I do feel very very girly and femenine. Very gorwn up and innocently childish at the same time. Utterly lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009 02:09:24 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not confident enough to make it without a pattern...

Are you able to lace it on yourself, or do you have to get someone to do it for you? I'm wondering what kind of closure to use on mine, as I don't like buttons...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009 02:20:22 AM »

you could always make a pattern out of some old sheets first if you like. Just pin it tight to the body, draw lines with a pencil and cut and you know... suddenly you have a pattern to use =)

And yeah I can lace it on myself. The lacing is rather short so I can basically just pull the cords, so it's easy enough. The only trick is to keep track of which cord is cord, as I have the cord pulling th skirt together too at almost the same place, and then when adding the ribbon around the waist it's a bit messy to keep all 6 ribbons from getting tangled together when tieing a bow ^^ But I've managed quite easily so far even though I can't see what I'm doing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Keyboard Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Workspace in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...