A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $2 blankie = old-man dog sweater  (Read 1568 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_gifts_for_pets  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: June 25, 2009 10:46:12 PM »

My boyfriend's family's dog, Jinx, is 13 or 14 and the old man is slowing down. He loves to go camping with us, though Cheesy Last year, we spent 3 very cold and wet days trying to catch fish (we failed), and the poor dog did a lot of shivering and moaning, sitting on us in front of the fire and trying to climb into my sleeping bag (he had his OWN darn sleeping bag Tongue). So, now that fishing season is upon us again, I knew the pup would need some sort of sweater in case of inclement weather (instead of wearing one of my shirts).

Off to the dollar store I went, where I found a 46x36 inch fleece plaid blankie. I already knew which tute I would use:

http://www.barlowscientific.com/technotes/home/sweater.htm

It took a lot of math, because this is just a guideline, not a pattern, but I did it! The one thing I wish I'd done differently: cut the armholes SMALLER than what I thought they should be (for the top piece; I needed to cut MORE out of the chest piece). I had not originally intended to put sleeves on, but the armholes were HUUUUUGE!

Here is Mr. Jinxy-Poo in his fabulous new camping sweater!

In conclusion, I would recommend this tutorial if your math skills are decent and if you remember to cut the armholes a bit small to try out first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wickedheart
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 09:22:26 AM »

He is so cute. He looks a lot like our dog, Bugzy. What is he, a Foxhound or a Coonhound?

I really like his sweater. I love the plaid. It looks good on him. I need to make my dog one. He gets so cold with his short fur.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 03:58:19 PM »

I'm glad you think he looks cute in it Cheesy Jinx is actually a mutt, mostly terrier and beagle, though he looks almost exactly like a Harrier. He was the only large one in his litter (he's about 40 pounds, the rest are about 20-25 pounds). Jinx was not impressed with the picture-taking, because it was about 25 celcius at the time (77 F).

The sweater was actually pretty easy to make once I got going and had all the math done. I'm sure Bugzy would appreciate being nice and warm Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strieudal

Fumbling towards the ecstacy of art

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009 07:00:34 PM »

Nicely done and bravo for thinking of the old man's bones. Good idea with purchasing fabric from the dollar store. I've been hitting up the thrift store for children's clothes  and cutting them for the cloth for my dog, but I think i'll check if its possible to save a few more dollars with proper squares of fabric.

Thanks for linking to the tutorial as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Person from the background of a photo
How to Change the Color of Background Mat
How to Achieve vibrant photos.
How to Add a Photo to a Photoshop Template
How to Change a Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...