A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,959
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help... Just got a Sewing machine. What project should I do first?  (Read 1290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beefishie
« on: June 25, 2009 04:33:00 PM »

Preferably something that I can get the pattern for online. =) Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I knit and make jewelry mostly, but do a few other crafts as well. PM me. =)
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009 09:07:54 PM »

http://m-sewing.com/patterns-catalog.html

Click "show me more" for each category (they only have the women's and men's patterns up so far)

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns

You have to join, and only a few are free. The rest are relatively inexpensive (usually around $4)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marytini
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009 05:57:36 PM »

You could also just look for online tutorials. I made a coaster as my very first project (I only made one, then moved on). Good for practicing straight lines and becoming familiar with your machine. http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

Tote bags are easy too. I just google "sew ---- tutorial" and fill in the blank with whatever you want to sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009 07:00:28 PM »

Alexus, wow I'd never seen that first link.  Some awsome stuff.  Have you done any of thier patterns before?  How do they work out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009 01:30:46 PM »

pillows.  get a feel for your machine and how different fabrics work with it. especially jersey knit. use up old tshirts. make pillows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009 02:18:21 AM »

I haven't done any of those patterns yet, but I have a couple I want to try. I have too many things on my list of want-to-do, darnit Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009 10:51:16 AM »

Throw pillows or a straight skirt.  I've seen lots of free online tutorials for all kinds of things.  Placemats would be another good one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juniper_Ann
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009 02:37:29 PM »

Quillow. 
http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/quillows.html

You can't buy it in the store, and it's so useful all your friends will be jealous.  I still have the one I made in junior high home ec (ummm...12 years later). 

Also, it's all straight lines, which is good for a first project.

I wouldn't recommend a straight skirt as a first project because darts can be a teensy bit tricky, zippers are easy to apply but take a lot of reading the directions that come with the zipper, and it will be discouraging if you have fit issues. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009 09:38:50 AM »

I did a straight skirt waaay back when in a 4-H beginning sewing class & darts really were not tricky.  A zipper can be, though.  But I never shyed away from a challenge.  I've always liked projects that help develop different skills.  Drawstring & a-lines are other easy options.  They make "fit just right" kind of patterns that help with the fitting.  Personally, when I was starting out, I always felt like clothes were the most gratifying project to complete because you could show them off.  There is a great skirt book that makes it super easy and you don't have to buy a bunch of $ patterns for different types of skirts:

http://www.amazon.com/Sew-What-Skirts-Fabulous-Fabrics/dp/1580176259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248453452&sr=1-1

You won't learn much in the way of tailoring, but it's a great & less intimidating start than traditional patterns.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 09:48:05 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
How to Mix Excellent Cocktails with Xavier Herit at Daniel
Almond Butter and Berries Recipe
Crab Cakes Recipe
How to Make Better Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...