A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twilights and Cool Nights *Tute Added*  (Read 2442 times)
Tags for this thread: twilight , shawl , wrap , shrug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmanteDelFuego
« on: June 25, 2009 09:12:59 AM »

Hello all! It's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I've been crocheting this summer...

First, the ubiquitous "La Push" hat from "Twilight".

After shamelessly watching the movie, like, 5 times, I realized that there was another row of horizontal ribbing up near the top of the hat. So, my hat is based off of this pattern: http://jennyhats.blogspot.com/2008/11/bella-swan-la-push-hat-from-twilight.html, but I kept screwing it up, so I ended up winging it.

Here's my version:

And secondly, here's a shrug that I whipped up. No pattern, but I (maybe) could manage a tute if anyone is interested. It was pretty simple: crochet a rectangle that is wide enough to fit across your shoulders, pull 2 corners together on each side and ch to connect them, and finally, crochet around the armholes and body to your liking. I'm really quite pleased with how it turned out.

This last picture shows the true color: a pretty chocolate brown.

Both are made from Red Heart WW yarn because I'm cheap! The hat started out with a VERY vintage skein of yarn that I found in my grandma's closet, but it was only 3 oz. and I ran out! The shrug took about 6-7oz.

Thanks for looking!

***EDIT: Here's the tutorial for the shrug.***

This is my first real tute, so if something is unclear, confusing, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to clear things up.

Yarn: WW, whatever you want
Hook: Either an H or an I (I don't really remember, lol)

*The following is what I did to fit me. I usually wear either a medium or a large in shirts and I have kind of broad shoulders. Also, the shoulder seams were...how to explain...slouchy? Mine didn't come straight down over the top of my shoulder, more on my upper arm. Hope that makes sense.*

Ch 61.
1. Skip first 3 ch (counts as 1 dc), 3 dc in next ch, *skip next 3 ch, 4 dc in next ch*, repeat across. (This is something like a cluster stitch. You could use any type of pattern stitch, or just regular old dc or hdcs).
2. Work 4 dc in space in previous row, do not ch in between clusters. For row ending in loop, ch 3 and sl st to last st in prev. row. For row ending in cluster, ch 3 (counts at 1 dc) for next row, then do 3 dc in next space.
3. Repeat row 2 to desired length. (I did a total of 23 rows). You can either fasten off, or go ahead and start one of the sleeves (whichever you prefer).

The rectangle should fit most of the way around the arm when the sides are brought together, but not all the way (it would be difficult to put on!).

After finishing the last row of the rectangle, ch 15 and attach to first stitch of first row on other side. (I had a hard time keeping the right side of the fabric to the outside, so don't be afraid to twist the chain if necessary). I decided to continue the cluster stitch on part of the sleeve, so I did that for the first 5 rows (when crocheting the clusters in the connecting chain in the armhole, crochet each of the dc in its own ch, not all 4 in one so it doesn't look wonky).
The sleeve at this point is kind of puffy, so I decided to switch over to sc. Work 10 rows of sc, and in the 3rd row, work 5 decreases, spread throughout. For the final row, I did a simple shell pattern (5 dc in one stitch, skip 2, sc, skip 2, 5 dc in one stitch), but you could just leave it off, or do whatever decorative thing you want.
Then, do the same for the other sleeve.

Finally, decide where you want the "collar" to start. I counted over to the middle of the original rectangle (in stitches), then, I left a space wide enough for my neck to comfortably fit through (I think I left either a 15 or 20-stitch wide space). Then, I attached the yarn and did hdc's around to the other side. *I noticed that after trying on just the rectangle and sleeves that it was a bit poofy across the back, so I worked some decreases where the shrug would go under your arm and around to the front to make it fit nicer*. I also did one decrease on the end of each row so the collar would taper down nicely. Work 10 rows of hdc's (or whatever you like) and finish off.

Voila? lol. I'm sure that was as clear as mud! Sorry for my crappy diagram!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009 05:52:30 PM by AmanteDelFuego » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tighttights
*~*Tight Tights!*~*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009 09:46:12 AM »

Shocked Love them both! Especially the shrug. So it is just a big rectangle and then single crochet around the arm holes?  That is soo cool! I think I know what im going to do this weekend... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009 09:47:21 AM by tighttights » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tarzioo
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009 09:53:50 AM »

oh i love both of them!! If you ever did a tutorial on the shrug I would make one to match all of my outfits lol. But seriously, I absolutely LOVE the shrug!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009 12:11:19 PM »

I have to admit to being the only Craftster to not have seen Twilight but great job anyway and I love the shrug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplexime
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009 12:33:43 PM »

I love the shrug.  Since you offered it, I would love a tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneH
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009 03:14:24 PM »

Everything is pretty!!  I too would like a tutorial for the shrug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmanteDelFuego
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009 06:27:08 PM »

Well, I just saw Twilight about a month ago...one of my friends threatened to excommunicate me if I didn't cave and watch it. And *gasp*...I liked it! Now I'm reading the books. I'm on "New Moon".

Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll hopefully be able to get a tutorial up by Saturday evening (darn jobs), so check back then. Like I said, that shrug was sooo easy and you can customize it (i.e. change length of the sleeves, or style of sleeve). I just may have to make another one, and if I do, it will be in cotton! I originally made the shrug to go with a pretty purple tank I bought from my place of employment, but it is almost too warm to wear it to work during the summer. We had a high of 88 degrees today!

Thanks for the comments everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tarzioo
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 11:25:34 PM »

thanks for the tutorial!!  i know what i'll be making this weekend =) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purplexime
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009 08:09:16 PM »

Thank you for the tut.  You are great!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Wrecks: The Rusted Car as Art
Off Book: Book Art in the Digital Era
Off Book: Street Art
Off Book: Lego Art
Jim Power and the Mosaic Trail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...