A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A-line Jordy Bag  (Read 91644 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

second-hand-smoke
« on: February 24, 2004 07:02:10 AM »

I've been playing around with Jordy's GREAT tutorial for a square bottom bag and came up with this A-line version.

I will post a more detailed tutorial if anybody needs it, but basically it goes like this:

Make a pattern that is a triangle with its top cut off instead of a rectangle. You still cut the little squares out of the bottom, you use the same pattern for the handle. For this bag I also added a flap - just measure a rectangle that is the same size as your opening, and as long as you'd like it to be on the bag. I rounded the corners for niciness.

Now - assemble as you would for the Jordy bag. Sew the outside with interfacing, sew the lining (I sew both corners together and leave a hole in the top front to pull thru instead), sew the handle, sew the flap together right sides facing -turn inside out and iron. Turn the lining right side out. Slip the handle down into the bag, pin the flap in place on the back (INSIDE the bag, right sides facing - remember - anything you want on the outside must be on the inside). Stitch all around the top leaving a hole at the front to pull your bag thru. Turn it all right side to itself and press the seam down where the hole is. Stitch all the way around.

NOW - on this bag I haven't put the velcro under the flap yet, and I didn't stitch all the way around the top because my NON free arm machine wouldn't do it with the stiffness of the bag. Instead I jsut stitch witched the seam closed and ironed the top flat. Obviously this pattern is still in its tweaking stages. I plan to make it a little wider at top and bottom in order to accomodate my equipment (it won't even slip over the end of my ironing board and I don't have one of those sleeve thingy's either!) BUT you get the general idea.

I plan to make another one soon so maybe I'll learn more then.

Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy!

Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004 07:15:58 AM »

This came out amazing!! Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004 07:33:25 AM »

shs---that bag kicks butt!!!  i love it!!!  i wanted to make one similar, but wasn't sure it'd turn out.  i don't think mine would have cuz i didn't think to add a flap!  yours really looks great & i can't wait to try it!!!!  btw, i love the fabric--perfect for spring, which is right around the corner!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004 07:41:40 AM »

thanks comfits - the green is a scrap from the sale table at joann's (i LOVE lime green!!), the floral is left over from about a hundred projects. that's what i love about these little bags - you get to use up all those odd scraps! good luck with your bag. i hope you post a pic, i'd love to see it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudola

what was i saying?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004 10:24:31 AM »

That's awesome. I have been wanting to try to make my own bag of similar shape (I just got my first sewing machine so it will probably be a crappy attempt Wink ), so I'm glad to hear that this modification to the square bottom tutorial works. Anyway, I was wondering since I've never made a bag before, is there kind of a rule of thumb about the ratio of outer-to-lining fabric weight/thickness to make a bag work out well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilmathgenius
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004 01:43:32 PM »

That's fabulous!
I always have trouble with structured purses. They end up all deformed and floppy when I try. Yours has a very nice shape. I will definitely give that a shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blurring the lines between artsy and geeky
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004 01:55:35 PM »

I love making bags! They are so easy...and interfacing is really the key Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redhead

"mommy, you have no lips!" jane (3yr old artist)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004 03:19:55 PM »

oh shs - that bag is so great!  i love the colors, the applique on the flap - everything!  i think i am going to have to try one.  what are the approximate dimensions of yours?  i am concerned about getting the triangle proportions correct . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004 03:39:43 PM »

thanks guys!

here is the rest of the scoop on this bag:

i used a pretty heavy interface (i don't like pelon so i found this stuff that is supposed to be for making shades. i'm sorry i don't remember what it is called but i got it at joann's and it's clearly marked that it's for making shades.) i also put a really lightweight interface on the lining, mostly just because i had some but...

i think when i do the next one i will make the top (and consequently the bottom) a litte wider because as i said it was hard for my machine to accomodate the narrow turns but my triangle was basically 13.75"W at the bottom and 9"W at the top, 8"H. this allowed for .5" seam allowance all around. don't forget to cut out the squares at the bottom. i started with a 1.5" square, but ended up making it 2" because i wanted the sides to be a little wider. the flap was 9"W x 6"H with rounded corners at the bottom.

Hope this helps! i can't wait to see all the great bags everybody is going to make! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

conclusion

still kisses with saliva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004 04:16:06 PM »

that is a great bag, and i love the colors, it's just excellent. I also checked out your website, it's great!! you are very talented!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fitter, happier, more productive
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Alcohol Sabotages Your Skin
An Impressive Cheek Stain You Can Make at Home
6 Ways to Fight the Winter Beauty Blues
Essential Winter Beauty Products
How to Do Shellac Nails at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...