A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Parrot Climbing Net - with Tutorial!  (Read 18221 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2009 09:21:26 PM »

I wanted to make a climbing net for my Hahn's macaw who should be coming home sometime in August (I hope!) I finally worked out my favorite way to make it and I thought I'd share how I did it!

The trick is a Chinese or Cross Knot. This is a perfect knot for this, because a rope will come straight out of the knot on the opposite side. And the even better part is the knot makes a little cup shape, perfect for stashing a little treat inside! Now it is a foraging net!

The first pictures show step by step how to make the knot. It looks really complicated, but once you do it a few times, it is really straightforward. I like this knot because it is very easy to make the net even, especially if you make a little mark with a pen where you want the knot to begin.

The next pics show how you start the net with an overhand loop at the corner, followed by the first knot. I used 1/2" superior cotton rope. This rope is different than other cotton rope as birds are less likely to get entangled in strands. (Hopefully this is true - it is very soft and easy to pull apart.)

Rope quantities:

I bought 100', but I didn't use all of it. You can kind of figure it out if you draw out the size net that you want.

For this 1/2" rope that I used (which actually seems more like 5/8")
Overhand loop at the corners = 24" of rope per loop
Space in between knots = 7"
Each knot = 6" for each strand in the knot, so allow 1' total/knot
Frayed ends at edges of net = allow 3" for each end.

Skinnier rope won't use as much in each knot, and thicker rope will use more. Quite a lot of length is used up in the knots!

Oh! Another tip is to tape the ends as you cut them to keep them from fraying, and don't take the tape off until the net is completely done.

Enjoy!

Edited to add a warning: When making things out of rope for birds it is IMPERATIVE that you get rope that is not treated with anything. Rope from the big hardware stores, while cheap, is generally treated with oil/kerosene/nastiness. If it smells like gasoline, DO NOT USE IT FOR BIRDS. Buy only natural, untreated, cotton/hemp/sisal/seagrass rope. It should smell like cotton, or grass, and that's it. And I wouldn't use regular cotton rope either, I'd only use the bird-specific cotton rope.

Mrwaaaaaawwwck!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010 07:35:55 PM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
MOB09

but it'd be shame to chuck THAT out

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009 03:57:35 AM »

Though I dont have a bird I wanna thank you for this easy to follow tutorial. I guess I will make some knots the next days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009 04:26:47 AM »

My hamster'w getting a new toy Smiley He likes to climb and has a cage that's rather high so this will be perfect for him. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Lanchester Talks About His Novel "Capital" at Althorp
Claire Tomalin Talks About Her Work on Charles Dickens
Gavin Pretor-Pinney Talks Clouds at Althorp Literary Festival
What Makes Althorp Literary Festival So Different?
Dr Kate Williams Talks About Queen Elizabeth II at Althorp Festival
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...