A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Failed Dye Job-but maybe I should keep it?  (Read 6129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PIXIEskin
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009 12:24:12 PM »

I love them as they are, they look great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's too pure for the likes of this world, this world is a whore.

A smile to hide the fear away, Oh smear this man across the walls, like strawberries and cream, it's the only way to be.

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/VelvetVolcano

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/velvetvolcano.jewe
SharaLavallee
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009 02:21:42 PM »

When I studied Physics in high school, they taught a colour/light section. Most black dye is not a "true black" and black is one of the hardest dye to create. Maybe next time, try using the opposite colour of the item. Usually when two colours of the opposite spectrum are added, black is created. (works best with paint)

So for a red shirt, try a pack of dark green plus black.

Also, fiber content is important. Organic fibres dye easier. Plus very hot water.

I should know, once I was given 2 dozen queen sheets. Anytime, I needed backing for a quilt, I'd pick up some dye packs from the dollar store and not care what colour was created. Mostly tie-dyed.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambersteele
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009 08:26:13 PM »

You do not want to know what they look like right now.

Yeah, I do!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
Elphelba
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009 06:39:07 AM »

I wear a lot of black myself, but those colors you ended up with are really interesting and they'll look really great with black. Sometimes it's nice to have just a small pop of a different color to make outfits look a little more interesting.  I'm sorry if this is old news (in a rush this morning and couldn't read the whole thread) but Rit dye typically doesn't do the best job dying things so perhaps going to Dharmatradingcompany.com and getting some of their lovely dies would help. Also, some fabrics dye better than others. Polyester doesn't dye too well, cotton is great for dying. A mix of the two would dye but it wouldn't be as intense as something that was just cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
tomico
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009 09:36:14 AM »

When I studied Physics in high school, they taught a colour/light section. Most black dye is not a "true black" and black is one of the hardest dye to create. Maybe next time, try using the opposite colour of the item. Usually when two colours of the opposite spectrum are added, black is created. (works best with paint)

So for a red shirt, try a pack of dark green plus black.]

Actually colors opposite on the color wheel create neutral grey but you may be right about it getting you closer with the black dye.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mojo_hannah
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009 07:26:25 AM »

oh my god KEEP IT that color is gorgeous!! It looks great with black and it's not soo neon a color. Oh pleeeease keep this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
seabass_sews
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009 01:25:27 PM »

I like the colors!  But in the future if you really want something black, here are some suggestions from my experience-

RIT dye is kind of limited.  I love Dharma's Procion Fiber Reactive dye, because I feel you get stronger colors (and its good for rayon, cotton and other natural fibers) but they have many other dyes for other fabrics like nylon, etc.  Use at least 3 times as much dye as needed to get a strong color.  The way that's worked best for me is boiling water in an old pot and adding soda ash and letting the garment soak awhile, then moving it to another boiling pot of dye.  I let it simmer for awhile and check progress.  Dharma also sells dye fixative that you add to a wash to make it more permanent, which I love.  I don't make any promises though...I've done all the right things and had fabrics come out all wrong.  Sometimes I guess it's just not meant to be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnofdolls
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009 08:16:14 AM »

Funny... my boyfriend and I are traveling to MN this weekend for a wedding, and I was looking EVERYWHERE for a little black dress.  It was a nightmare.  I kept finding all of the right styles, but in the wrong (wayyyyy wrong) colors.  Undecided I was so frustrated that I was considering just buying one and dying it black... kind of glad I didn't now.  I wonder how you get a perfect black.  Luckily, I ended up finding one... but I am still curious on this.   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/DawnOfDollz
serafim_azriel
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009 01:52:15 AM »

I don't know if someone has said this already or not, but if you were trying to dye them black, part of the problem might be the fact that you're using RIT dye. RIT dye is great for most colors, but it's black is lack-luster, even on 100% cotton, much less a blended fabric.

Seabass recommended the best dye. "Dharma's Procion Fiber Reactive dye". ESPECIALLY for black. There is also a polyester dye that I've yet to test called "iDye for Natural and Poly Fabrics". If your fabric is mostly or all polyester, that will be your best bet, as most Dyes won't dye synthetic fabrics.

(On a side note of dying, with certain kinds of blends, dyeing it may leave you with an interested visible weave/knit for the clothing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madworldmilly
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009 05:43:45 AM »

keep them,
they look totally rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Duck
How to Draw a Dog
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...