A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DAY OF THE DEAD chest of drawers help!  (Read 889 times)
Tags for this thread: day_of_the_dead , dia_de_los_muertos  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OpheliasLily
« on: June 22, 2009 09:51:20 PM »

So here she is, the chest of drawers I have had for the entirety of my life. In fact, my Mother once told me it was my changing table too (okay, TMI, sorry).

Any who, I have always liked how sturdy it is, and the 'bones' of it are alright too (though a bit dull). However, its UGLY!

So, here is my question:
   I wanted to paint a Catrina on the front. similar to this one: http://www.hospiceslo.org/events/diadelosmuertos/img/calavera_de_la_catrina.gif
but I am unsure about how best to go about it. I want to use my acrylic paints (to save $$$), but I liked the idea of staining the entire thing espresso first.

Oh, and did I mention that I plan on mosaic-ing the top with stained glass and bits of mirror?

So, is it even possible to paint acrylic over wood stain?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009 10:35:03 AM »

Wow, you really want to change that COD!!   Wink  Okay this is what I would do...

I would sand the dresser to get the old finish off.  Then take a piece of paper or cardstock, and draw the Catrina on it.  Cut out the outline of the image.  In the meanwhile, I would take some wide painter's tape and line it up on a clean mirror or window or something smooth like that so that the pieces overlap to make a "painter's tape sheet" (I hope that makes sense).  Trace the Catrina outline on the sheet and then cut the image out with an exacto knife.  Then, stick it on the dresser wherever you want it to go making sure to press it down really well on the edges.  Stain the dresser and then remove the painter's tape.  This would leave an unstained outline of the image.  When the stain dries, you can take the acrylic paints and fill in the image.  When it dries, you can varnish the whole dresser to protect it.  

I know it's going to look great and make sure you post some pictures of it!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009 10:39:17 AM by carmencrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009 11:06:24 AM »

carmencrafter had a good idea.  But I would highly recommend sealing the unstained part where the skull will be with gesso.  It's an extra step, but trust me, it's worth it.  Otherwise the unfinished wood will suck up the acrylic like crazy.  You'll end up needing more coats, and more paint does not mean saving money ! Cheesy  Plus with gesso under-painting the colors will be brighter!

If you do gesso it, it should take about 2-3 coats, you don't want to see any of the wood grain.  Let it dry completely and sand it in one direction between coats. Good luck, can't wait to see it finished. La Dia de los Muertos is so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
OpheliasLily
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009 04:02:38 PM »

Thank you so much for the tips!

More questions: is it possible to purchase really small ammounts of crazy colored woodstain anywhere (red, blue, green, orange and purple). Would this be cost effective - OR - could I just water down regular paint to get a similar look??

Alrighty... a little update on the plans. I think I will be drawing the image on in pencil and then wood-burning the lines in and some shadowing. What do you all think of adding some stylized monsoon clouds and perhaps a stand or two of ocotillo? I want it to remind me of my desert home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Red Lip Look
Get Inspired by This Fun, Bold Look for Your Senior Prom
How To Highlight and Contour
How To Darken Your Foundation For Summer
Topshop Felt Tip Liner Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...