A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip:  Avoid bath salts and exfoliants.  They destroy tasty rotting flesh.
Total Members: 302,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stupidest question ever asked...  (Read 1060 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrainsNotBombs
« on: June 22, 2009 08:46:48 PM »

But what do you guys cut with? Just regular scissors? I'm definitely new to anything sewing related, and lately I've really wanted to get into reconstructing vintage and shirts, etc. I have an adorable babydoll black velvet dress that I want to take the sleeves off of, plus another dress I want to make into a babydoll with a sweetheart neckline.

Except, no matter what scissors I use, it looks like a five year old cut it. I made a jumper/romper-esque dress out of an old shirt, and I could not get a clean line no matter how hard I tried. I made a circle scarf out of a XXL shirt, and the scissors worked horribly. Is there a certain way to cut it to get clean lines, or a different tool besides scissors?

I know, this is a really stupid question :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymoose
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009 09:25:45 PM »

Use sewing shears. They're the ones that are...slightly bent? They're flat on the bottom and angled up, if that makes any sense. Buy a brand new sharp pair, and don't use those shears to cut ANYTHING except fabric/patterns. ESPECIALLY paper. I have a separate scissors for cutting anything else. Hope that helps Smiley

Also, to get a straight clean cut, make sure the fabric is on a hard surface and isn't wrinkled up at all.

And there's no such thing as a stupid question Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009 09:26:28 PM by Kittymoose » THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009 09:52:14 PM »

Also, remember to cut with long, smooth strokes, not little snips into the fabric.
I actually use my regular, one-dollar, all-purpose scissors that I use to cut anything from paper to fabric to aluminum. We have at least two pairs of sewing shears in the house and my scissors cut better... I'm not quite sure how or why. Even so, I recommend having a dedicated pair of sharp sewing scissors... I'm pretty sure I'm just very lucky with these  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009 11:07:50 PM »

I use two pairs of scissors and a rotary cutter.

The grey scissors were my sorta-MILs' old sewing scissors that her husband had used on something non-fabric, so she gave them to my BF as kitchen scissors. I rapidly appropriated them for cutting paper, vinyl, patterns, tape and other crafty purposes.

My blue scissors I bought brand spanking new at Fabricland for 20 bucks. WELL WORTH IT!!! They cut fabric awesome! I stupidly picked them up to cut paper a couple times (the perils of having both pairs on the desk at once) so I've had to use my speed-shark sharpener on them, but even still, they're much sharper than the older scissors.

The rotary is from the dollar store and so is my tiny mat. I use these for cutting squares or strips for various purposes. It's... crappy. But useful in certain situations.

Hint: cut long and slow. Really pay attention to the line you want to cut along. If you rush, you'll have less control over the cut. I personally never fully close my scissors at the end of a cut; I stop cutting when the scissors are aaaaaaalmost closed, then open them wide for the next cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrainsNotBombs
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009 11:15:04 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll have to get another pair of scissors just for fabric cutting then, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamergirL337
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009 11:25:29 PM »

amazingly i use the scissors that they use to cut medical tape and that they use to cut your clothes off with when your in the hospital...

i found a pair in an old medical kit laying around the house, they do an AMAZING job at cutting fabric!!!

also if you draw lines on the fabric before you cut it, it really helps!

i don't know how to sew and i don't have a sewing machine so must of my projects right now are just cutting jobs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009 08:25:55 AM »

I have a rotary cutter, the biggest mat I could afford, and a yardstick for my really long strips of straight cutting. I line the yardstick up with the markings on the cutting mat, and cut along it for a nice straight cut.

For smaller things I have one pair of scissors that are only for craft stuff. they are a pair of fiscars I've had since second grade and they are not touched under penalty of death by anyone but me. They typically reside in my craft bag.
I also have 2 pairs of scissors in my craft room. Both inexpensive but one is used for all purpose stuff and the other is for sewing only.

I've only had my pinking shears go dull and need to replace them but they were grandma's so I want to get them sharpened first and see how they do.

I've heard that the whole only use your fabric scissors on fabric thing is a wives tail but I do not use my fabric scissors for tape just to be safe. I do cut out my patterns and things which I usually use regular paper for and so far they are fine. Once again long slow even cuts make the scissors last longer than short snippy ones. and create a much cleaner edge.

Just remember that your seams will be on the inside and you can always turn the seam up twice to encase any rough edges if you give yourself enough seam allowance.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009 08:26:36 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009 07:32:12 PM »

I have a good Fiskars for sewing, 1 for cutting paper & random stuff, a small embroidery one on a lanyard around my neck that I always have when I sew, a large & medium size rotary cutter. These are always at my sewing area w/in my reach.

My husband doesn't believe in having a designated sewing scissor, he thinks he can use my Fiskars for cutting anything. He even uses my good knives to cut open boxes!  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009 07:33:37 PM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009 08:16:36 PM »

I also have a pair of dedicated sewing scissors (a pair of Ginghers I spent $25 on! Well worth it, though.) I have experienced first hand the truth behind not using sewing scissors for anything else... my mom has always had Ginghers and my brother would steal them and cut paper, cardboard, craft wire... etc. it totally ruined the scissors. Hence the reason why I have like 5 different pairs: my Ginghers (which everyone knows not to touch lest I use them to chop off a big old chunk of their hair... I did it to one old roommate after she stole my scissors one too many times...) and some kitchen shears, and several cheap dollar store pairs lying around for various purposes. And a bunch of neato ones for scrapbooking. ^_^ I totally lust after my mom's rotary cutter and mat, though. Anyway, the best way to get a straight cut is to go very slow, and practice, practice, practice. When you aren't used to it, it's the same as learning to write. At first everything looks sloppy, but as you get used to it you get better and better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009 08:27:20 PM »

I know all of this has probably been said but I haven't read all the replies but BE ABSOLUTELY SURE NOT to use the scissors you use to cut fabric on paper or anything else. ONLY use them on fabric. Cutting paper will ruin them quickly believe me I've done this too many times to count LOL! Also a rotary cutter is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Domenica Marchetti Makes Cantucci Di Prato
21 Surprising Things to Mix Into Banana Bread
Double-Chocolate Skillet Brownie Recipe
Make a Giant Peanut Butter Cup
Sugar Cookies With Coconut Butter Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Show Your Love
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...