A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 41989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2009 05:10:47 PM »

-Friend 1: "?" She is always made up and wears high heels all the time haha. She likes jewelry, make up and going dancing. She likes the tv shows Entourage and The Sopranos.
-Friend 2: "?" She is my best friend. She likes dancing and going out and she has been teaching aerobics for 2 years now. She is a med student and recently moved out in her own apartment. She likes trendy/funky things and also likes Kurt Halsey's artwork.
-Friend 3: "?" She loveees makeup and nailpolish. She also likes cops shows such as bones, criminal minds and CSI. She also likes to cook, make jewelry and draw.
-Friend 4: "?" I'm not too nervous about friends 4 because she told me numerous times that I didn't need to give her a gift and that she'd be happy with anything (which I am super glad about!). Anyway, she studies journalism, she likes trendy and girly clothing and she is also a hugeee HP fan. I have already given her a HP scarf.
-Other friends: Scratch and sniff Christmas cards (as seen on this board)

What I can do: I can cook quite well, make jewelry, knit and take good photos.

Please help me fellow craftsters!  Kiss

Odri, what about some jewelry rolls for your gal friends? They don't require advanced sewing skills and a half yard of some cool fabric would easily make 2 or 3 rolls. A jewelry roll is like a knitter's needle roll only with more little pockets.

Here's a link http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_make_a_Jewellery_Roll/  You could do velcro or hook and eyes instead of zippers, which can be a pain in the arse to sew in sometimes.

For Friend 4, how about HP inspired photo frames? A wooden frame, bit of paint and some antiquing...maybe write spells along the frame? I'll noodle this one some more. I love HP as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boutiquepetite
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009 04:53:08 AM »

I have been so busy lately -- hardley time for crafting.  Must.....keep.....crafting.....

But I have managed to get a few things done:

Brother's apron and sister's art smock.  I bought the fabric for a few more things and hopefully will get stuff done this weekend.  School + working 2 jobs + being a mom = need for more time! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009 07:29:01 AM »

Mother in law - cloth napkins.
Mother - cloth napkins.
2 year old daughter -
Sock Monkey
T-shirt with monkeys embroidered on it using the sublime stitching designs.
Hat
Minky and Flannel blanket with Monkey fabric on back.
Doll (have decided if this will be a black apple doll or a Waldorf doll. I think Black Apple doll and give her a Waldorf for her 2nd b-day which will be in Nov)
Daughter that will be 6 months -
Taggie Blanket
Babushka Doll
Black Apple Doll
Hat
Fabric Stacking Rings.

Various Friends -
Tea Towels embellished with Christmas motifs from Sublime Stitching.

Sisters - key fobs, book marks, pin cushion, stitch markers.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009 05:20:32 AM »

I am so late with planning this year.  I am going to experiment with some copperwire to see if I can make something I have been thinking about.

For my two older neices, they are starting their first year of university each and will be living away from home for the first time, so I was thinking of painting some reusable shopping bags with their university crests, etching some drinking glasses for them, and perhaps making them each an afghan with their uni colours.  Same with older nephew too, since I never made him anything in a long time.

I have been making knitted Christmas gnomes for MIL, SIL, best friend's mom, and perhaps other SIL in Texas too (good for shipping, not too heavy, and not breakable).

Perhaps some wreaths too - have had the ideas on the backburner for a while.

Then I plan on making more hot pepper jelly, and some marmalades too - my mom loves marmalade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009 07:22:55 AM »

I had a plan for my Christmas crafting that was entirely banked on a good sale on Bernat Satin yarn.  Wouldn't you know it, but after waiting for months and months, the sale comes at exactly the time when I can't buy any of it.

It's on sale at Michaels and Herrschners.ca right now, except that we're moving this weekend, so I can't get any at Michaels (not that there's one in Toronto anyway. Hrmph!), and I usually have my online orders shipped to my parents' house because they're usually home, but they are going on vacation on Friday and wouldn't be home when the yarn would arrive!  Not to mention the fact that mr.fantastic spilled coffee on his laptop, so we had to get him a new one if we're going to meet our long-term financial goals.  *sigh*

So, new plan!

I do have a LOT of yarn already, and once we're moved in and settled, I'll have a very clear idea of what I've got, and can start planning specific gifts then.

Here is my list so far:

Dad: memory blanket. I've been planning this for months now, and I think I have yarn enough for it... if not, I won't need to buy much more, I don't think.

Mom: Christmas decorations... hopefully several tree ornaments, and some other things that I don't know yet.  She absolutely loves Christmas, and especially handmade Christmas decorations.

mr.fantastic: the blanket I'm making him for his birthday is almost certainly not going to be done in time (it took me 2 months to get it half-way done, and I've only got a month before his birthday now), so that will likely be his Christmas present instead.

Niece1 - 8-year-old, into cake decorating (really!)... think I'll crochet her a pillow shaped like a cake, and maybe toss in some cake decorating supplies of some sort.

Niece2 - 6-year-old - probably a hat and scarf... possibly a blanket

Nephew1 - 4-year-old - maybe a blanket... or something Star Wars or car themed.

Nephew2 - 1-year-old - hat and scarf, not sure what else.

Everyone else on my list is probably getting a store-bought gift or a gift card, although, my two brothers might end up with blankets if I have time and the yarn. 

I wanted to make some snowflake afghans for the women in my family, but with the yarn sale problem, I'm not sure if that's going to happen.  I'm pretty sure I have enough white to do at least one, but I don't think I have enough of any one colour to go with it.

I can't wait until we get moved and I can sort this all out!

Oh! Almost forgot: there will be lots and lots of baking this year, as I'll have a proper kitchen again! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009 03:28:17 PM »

For my birthday my husband signed me up for a chainmail jewellery course, maybe someone will be getting some of that for Christmas. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hugarobot
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2009 09:31:48 AM »

I'm making cupcake bath bombs (thank you, craftster)homemade hot cocoa, and some sort of baked something to sort of package together and give away, I'm making my sister a t-shirt quilt and hand painted shot glasses for her boyfriend. I'm also thinking I might embroider a pair or pj pants with bubbling test tubes or molecules or something, he's getting his PhD in biochemistry...

For my boyfriend I want to buy some plain western shirts and fancy them up with some embroidery. I also want to make a few pieces of jewelry and I found some neat things in the Better Homes & Gardens Holiday Crafts magazine I bought yesterday!

I was planning to learn to knit, but that isn't really going very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mellybelly81
my handmade dream

I'll have that... I might be able to use it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2009 02:48:28 AM »

Oh all of you are soo organised! It is getting me inspired, now I just have to stop reading all of your posts so I have the time to craft!

I have absolutley no idea what to get anyone for Christmas, we have been very cash-strapped this year, as hubby has been studying/working part time and I haven't even thought about gifts! I have a few people to buy for too.

This may sound silly, but what do you put at the back of the cross stitched tea towels to keep the stitching in place? I have done a lot of cross stitch samplers but never actually done any on a "useful" item like a tea towel of piece of clothing and wouldn't know what to do.

Ok, so I have a reasonable list and very few ideas, so here's hoping there's some ideas out there!

Hubby's family:

Mum - she is very family oriented, very hands on grandma, likes to read

Sister - just gone back to work after having her kids, does admin type stuff, likes making cakes/decorating cakes

Sister's hubby - tradesman, fairly laid-back, likes Superman, fishing

5yo nephew - likes trains, Steve Irwin, just starting school

3yo niece - girly, but not really girly, likes animals

Brother#1 - really quiet, likes fishing, don't really know much else

13yo nephew - will be starting second yr highschool, likes sport, computer games

Brother #2 - likes music, kinda the "black sheep" of the family, also likes fishing

(there's definitely a fishing theme in this family!)

My family:

Mum - likes to read, do jigsaw puzzles

Dad - does a fair bit of DIY, always gardening, repainting, building something, plays golf

Sister - preparing for her wedding, always wearing something "cute" from the season without being a fashion victim, Japanese teacher

Sister's fiance - country boy, used to work on a farm, makes handcrafted timber pieces (mostly furniture)

then there is 1 x set grandparents (grandmother quite ill, steadily losing her memory), great aunty/uncle (like grandparents), 3 aunties and partners, 2 teenage cousins and 2 adult cousins and partners. We haven't bought gifts for these rellies in the past, but I think that since hubby and I have been married for over a year now, we should probably start with some gifts of our own.

Then of course there is my hubby, into WWE wrestling, world of warcraft computer game, sport, fishing, 80's/90's rock.

Ok so thats some list and its making me a little nervous now! I will have to come back and add some ideas when I get them. Some of the ideas from this list have helped so far though, I may have to look in to the tea towels (maybe face washers too?), bath bombs, baking and maybe even a "gaming" blanket for DH when he's on the compkuter playing WoW for hours at a time.

We'll see how far I get!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2013 - 6/50
13 quilts in 2013 - 0/13
Destash-along

http://pinterest.com/myhandmadedream/

Looking for teal/turquoise/aqua, grey and white (or a combo) fabric for a quilt.

My son loves Peppa Pig's brother George and Raa Raa the noisy lion.
mamoon
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2009 11:11:18 AM »

I've started buying supplies for my gifts.  I am growing kitchen counter herb gardens, making scrapbooks for the grandparents, teacup candles, mosaic trivets,  quilt wall hangings, framed monograms, cashmere socks and scarves.

Since we have a huge family, I'm always looking for ideas.  I'm so glad I found this site. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ryv1079
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2009 11:48:28 AM »

I haven't finished my gift planning notebook yet but, this is what I have so far! And I'm not done yet!

BIL - matching earflap tobaggan and mittens for when he is working in Montana this winter. Maybe a corduroy zippystrippyquilt.

Sister - A recipe book like the one in Alicia Paulson's book of family recipes. Zippystrippyquilt.

Father & Step-mom - They just got married last week. I'm going to make a patchwork pillow from the photos of their beach wedding. I think I am also going to make a "1st Christmas" ornament with sand and some of the seashells I picked up in those clear balls.

Aunt - Grapevine suet bird feeder and a doggy sweater for her new dachsund she is getting this weekend.

Paternal G'ma - Grapevine suet bird feeder. She also crochets so, I'm going to print some free patterns off of the internet and put them in a notebook for her.

Maternal G'ma - Grapevine suet bird feeder. Maybe a shawl.

Both G'pas - Scarves

That still leaves the best friend, goddaughter and my mom.

ETA: Figured out mom's gift! My sister is bringing the first grandbaby in to the family next spring! So, I am going to make my mom a scrapbooking kit with all things baby and extra supplies like glue, pens and fancy scissors.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009 06:41:43 AM by ryv1079 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jimmy Gownley Draws Superhero Amelia
The 90-Second Fitness Solution Book Trailer
Nikki Sixx Talks About Heroin Diaries Part 1
The Moses Expedition Book Trailer
Stupid About Men Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...