A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 36697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mustangsal27
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2009 04:04:01 PM »

Wow! you guys are all so organised! I've just managed to get a load of wool/yarn for 50pence a ball. So i've started knitting double nickels, got gorgeous wool for my dad's, it's a khaki green colour and when it knits up it looks camo. So at least i've started, also making a quilt for my 2yr old son and 9mnth old nephew. and poss handbags, with handprints of my 2yr old. more like tote bags. not sure after that. ooh, quilted wallhangings for my sis, out of baby clothes from her two kiddies. so got plenty to do and hopefully plenty time to do it.lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009 02:47:59 AM »

Nothing started yet, but here's some of my early-on brainstorming and people to buy for:

1) Mom - it will be a big crafty package!  I usually do glittery notecards each year (I'll have to check if she's run out this year yet), may do some 'relax' type items (bath stuff?, candles?), tea or chocolate related items, or some jewellery.

2) Sister (19) - I'll craft a lot & buy some too (she's fun to gift for) - her biggest obsessions as of right now: planning her new room ("menagerie"-themed); cooking;.... I know I plan to make a 'French Toast' stuffie that's based on an inside joke, but I'm not sure where else to go with her yet!

3) Dad - Hm. Not too much contact since my parents recent separation, but I guess I'll still do Christmas. I made him a handpainted motorcycle engine shirt a few years ago, and he said he would also like a V-Twin engine. So maybe. And bookmarks? He's into (I think, things may have changed): reading, motorcycles, flyfishing, smoking his pipe, wood carving, travel, cooking.

4) Boyfriend (23) - His birthday in mid-November takes priority. I think for that I'll do stencilled shirts + purchased items, which leaves me still confused for craftable items for Christmas. He's into zombies, Batman, Xbox Live, reading, ships, & history. I'll check out that boyfriend gift thread though...

5) University friends (4 of them, scattered around the province) - we don't usually do a big exchange, but just a little thing each. Something foodie maybe. Perhaps chocolate. Requires research...

6) 'Home' friends (3 of them)? - All pretty commercial, may not enjoy handmade, and we may not even all exchange gifts. One 'appreciates' homemade things (though this year told me 2 days before her birthday that she didn't want any purchased items, but could accept something handmade - apparently misunderstanding the fact that handmade takes time [and I work shifts]) .... and she scrapbooks and bakes. Maybe a cooking apron - or a scrapbooking apron!

7) "$5 Gifts" (1-3) - Our family does a secret $5 gift exchange, with plenty of switching involved! Most people try to give a gift that is worth more than $5 without spending more than $5 (through work freebies, etc.) - so I'm going to craft at least mine, maybe my mom & sis's, and only count supplies! I need to brainstorm ideas. It would hopefully be something relatively generic that could appeal to men AND women in a large variety of ages & stations, though a lot of the time the gifts end up being more 'woman' or 'man'. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009 03:06:32 AM »

-Father: "?" Likes classic rock and hockey. Last Christmas I knit him a hat and he loved it.

Friends
-Friend 1: "?" She is always made up and wears high heels all the time haha. She likes jewelry, make up and going dancing. She likes the tv shows Entourage and The Sopranos.
-Friend 2: "?" She is my best friend. She likes dancing and going out and she has been teaching aerobics for 2 years now. She is a med student and recently moved out in her own apartment. She likes trendy/funky things and also likes Kurt Halsey's artwork.
-Friend 3: "?" She loveees makeup and nailpolish. She also likes cops shows such as bones, criminal minds and CSI. She also likes to cook, make jewelry and draw.
-Friend 4: "?" I'm not too nervous about friends 4 because she told me numerous times that I didn't need to give her a gift and that she'd be happy with anything (which I am super glad about!). Anyway, she studies journalism, she likes trendy and girly clothing and she is also a hugeee HP fan. I have already given her a HP scarf.

Anyway, if I made them something, I know it would have to look really neat and perfect and like something I could have bought at the store.

What I can do: I can cook quite well, make jewelry, knit and take good photos.

Hi Odri! I took a quick peek at your new thread posts, and you've got some extremely tasty looking things there. Mm.

And I know what you mean about friends being difficult due to the storebought/handmade issue. I definitely have several that might not appreciate handmade. That said, I don't know if I've figured out your friends entirely, but here are a few suggestions. Smiley

Your Father - is he good at the computer? If not, maybe make him a mix CD of a bunch of downloaded classic rock songs he doesn't have on CD yet. Or make him a manly scarf or a pair of (fingerless?) gloves to go with last year's hat.

Friend #1: Sounds like a good candidate for jewellery. Maybe the thin & classy type - lots of silver or gold (depending on what she's into) and maybe swarovski crystals.

Friend #2: Sounds like another good candidate for jewellery. Maybe thick & funky with big bright beads & eclectic pairings. Or a pendant/pendant set with Kurt Halsey art on it. Or a cool and eclectic brooch. Or make a scarf with some chunky yarn.

Friend #3: Maybe something to help her do her hobbies? E.g. a set to make a type of jewellery she doesn't already make, a cookbook of your recipes, or kitchen items (potholders, scrubbies, etc.)

For any of the friends: I see you made a pretty little bath set with soaps and such once. Maybe you could get a nice mold that would work for all them and then do up soap in each of their favourite colours. Or do some food that goes in a jar - like your strawberry applesauce, which looks awesome! Or make something different, like flavoured vodka/alcohol. (I'm not sure if they are drinkers, but I figured that 'going dancing' sometimes involves some alcohol!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowhite
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009 04:25:52 PM »

My family is very commercial. 
Last year I made baskets with cinnamon coffee/cocoa and mugs (unfortunate that they did not like the cocoa or coffee) and spent countless time making my brother Runescape coasters from Perler beads (which came out so awesome!).. not sure if he has used them though because I have never seen them since.

I will not give up though Smiley  I started knitting my mother a red chenille shawl... but know I am in love with it and will turn it into a throw for me  Grin

I never really know what to get everyone because if they really want something they buy it for themselves.  This year I am going to do "My favorite things" gifts:

I am picking up composition books now that they are on sale and will make everyone journals/cookbooks (whatever I think they will like)

Matching bookmarks

Polymer pens or handpainted pencils?

Hot/Cold packs

And not sure what else Sad  I still have time though.. thank goodness
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009 06:56:47 PM »

Oh, and another thing I know I'm lots of this year is chocolate bark.. lots & lots of chocolate bark. I'm sticking with the chocolate and candy cane one, but trying to think of other kinds.. anyone try a different one and liked alot??

Wow this was from forever ago. But I read this and had to comment.... I used to love Dreamcicle bark as a kid. It is so easy to make too..... Just white chocolate, half of it with orange extract and orange food coloring. Yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
Lysine

Rockin' the Scissors and Paper

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009 11:16:39 PM »

Mum - Her's is the only gift I've gotten around to actually starting. It's going to be a big cozy shawl chrocheted in chunky orange chennile. I think she'll like it. If I'm brave enough to try making my aunts socks and I have time, I'll probably make her a pair too.

Dad
- He lost his favorite hat (very floppy, multi-coloured stripes, crocheted) on the bus a couple of months ago so I'm going to make him a new one. I was going to make him a Doctor Who scarf, but I haven't had time to start it and I don't think I'll be able to finish it by December.

Sister - Not sure. Any suggestions? She's 16, she's a complete nerd, she wants to be a lawyer, she likes writing, she's a gamer (tabletop, especially D&D, as well as MMO's - especially third person shooters), she loves Doctor Who and Torchwood, her favorite band is Ladytron, and she's bedridden indefinitely so maybe something to pass the time that wouldn't be too hard on her synapses? I don't know, my mind is blank.

Ex-Best Friend - Again, not sure. This one is difficult because we had a falling out a while ago, and since then she's been making moves towards wanting to be all chummy again but not very directly. I want to send her something (she lives across the country) to indicate that I, too, would like to be chummy, but I don't know what would say that. Bah humbug.

Aunts (I have two)
- I think I want to try knitting a pair of socks for each. I'm not amazing at knitting though so I don't know if I'll be brave enough to actually try that.

The two women who are most like second and third mothers to me - a shawl crocheted in broomstick lace for each.

The guys I play D&D with - journals with covers related to their characters. Minotaur Barbarian: "Granny MacGyvern's Recipes". Elf Fighter: "Dying Doing Stupid Things: A Self-Help Primer". Gnoll Ranger: "Gnoll Fairytales".

Dungeon Masters of the D&D campaign I'm in - a huge binder to keep all their super secret DM files in, and a sheaf of 'parchment' (computer paper tea-dyed to look old) with handwritten retellings of some of the adventures from the past two years of the campaign, written from the point of view of my Kender Bard character. (This is the gift I'm most looking forward to doing!)

Yep, I have a lot of work to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ... Ravelry | Wist

Currently Working On: amigurumi, ascot tie collection
Odri
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009 07:00:54 AM »

Thanks for your advice Pysche! You really did some good detective work to find out stuff that my friends would like that I could actually craft.  Kiss

For my dad, I'll go with the mixed CD and then I'll add a photo montage of our vacation in Gaspsie (Qubec) that we just came back from.

I haven't exactly decided what I'll make for my friends but I like the idea of giving everyone similar gifts such as flavored alcool. Thanks! xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayamaree
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009 11:51:53 AM »

Well this year I'm for sure making Christmas stockings. I finished one already, as a practice in non-wool yarn. These ones will be of wool and I will wrap them in tissue paper every year and pack them up with cedar (at least that is the plan).

This is my practice one (i just wanted to see if i could do it before I spent $$ on the yarn I actually wanted to make them in)

IF i have time after I make those (just got the wool in the mail today for them) I would like to make my oldest daughter a bed for her American Girl Doll (18in doll) out of the doll's box.

If I make something for DD I need to make things for my other two children as well. I try to make them something every year, last year I knit them donuts for their play kitchen (which they share) however at that time my youngest daughter was only 3 months old so she didn't care at all.

Everyone else is getting store-bought stuff cause they aren't really into crafting and I don't have time :-) At least it makes my list shorter.

I'm also working on an afghan for MYSELF errr my family, well it will live on the couch.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009 11:59:45 AM by jayamaree - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolatte
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009 03:11:17 PM »

Oh, and another thing I know I'm lots of this year is chocolate bark.. lots & lots of chocolate bark. I'm sticking with the chocolate and candy cane one, but trying to think of other kinds.. anyone try a different one and liked alot??

Wow this was from forever ago. But I read this and had to comment.... I used to love Dreamcicle bark as a kid. It is so easy to make too..... Just white chocolate, half of it with orange extract and orange food coloring. Yum.

OOMMMG that sounds soooo good!!! It sounds just like an Orange creamcicle we have here!!! Oh those are the best!! Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all of my jewelry : www.ShiningIsFree.e tsy.com
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009 04:56:54 PM »

Dreamsicle bark...*drool!*

Jayamaree, your stocking is beautiful! Smiley  Just curious, how long did it take to make?

Here's my list of Holiday Crafty To Do:

Husband - I'm making a remote control organizer to hang over the edge of his recliner. I might make it roomy enough so his game controllers will fit as well.

Son (almost 9) - I'm making him a set of the Mario figures. I made the Mushroom using the soda pop pin cushion pattern and he went bananas. I now have to decide which characters to make. I've already made the green mushroom, red 'shroom and a goomba. Maybe a Koopa, dunno...

Daughter (almost 4) - I'm going to make her either a fairy or princess dress for her dress up chest that my MiLaw started for her. I'm excited about making this but I'll only be able to work on it when she's asleep. Otherwise, I'll never finish or she'll find out. Little Miss Nosey is her name.

Where I need help is my parents...oof.

Both are retired and neither have any real hobbies or pastimes. They also don't like for me to spend money on "real" presents for them. I was thinking about making some peach preserves and apple butter. (Mom doesn't make these anymore and I know they like it.) Dad's mobility is declining rapidly so I was thinking about a lapghan or lap quilt. I'm a beginner at crochet but quilting I could handle.  For mom, I'm at a loss unless I make her a lap quilt as well, but that's not too original if I make one for dad, you know?

My coworkers
- (I'm the dept head at work.) - I'm making felt ornaments for them. Maybe some kind of quick edible goodie...chocolate bark is a serious possibility. Smiley

My kids' teachers - I'm thinking I'll use the rest of my preserves or apple butter for them, but that means I have to fix a double batch so that I'll have some for us. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt
David Rotenberg on the Junction Chronicles
Wool by Hugh Howey Trailer
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare Trailer
Clive Davis Talks About Some of His Favorite Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...