A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 39380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicolatte
« on: June 22, 2009 01:49:30 PM »

Ok, ok, I know, already?! But I am so excited for Christmas! 'Christmas in July' must meen something, I always get excited for Christmas this time of year. I get so excited all summer and fall comes along and after Halloween, I panic cause I think I'm behind in everything. Last year was quite a bad ending year for me, because just before Halloween I went through a very (repeat 'very' a few times) terrible break-up, and after that, was no longer excited for Christmas at all. I was very sad about it too, because I love making gifts and made nothing for no one, not even my family. But I'm with someone new, we're just moving into an apartment (which meens I get to decorate EVERYTHING), and pretty much, this year, I'm staying excited for Christmas, no matter what.

Sooo enough of my gibberish, does ANYbody know what they're making yet?! I can't be the only one. Cry I've been collecting stuff already to make gifts with, and I have a (growing) list of stuff I want to make for all my peeps, like candy apples, collages, jewelry, recipe books, and tons more. Anyone else secretly have Christmas lists kept away somewhere?!

And feel free to ask for ideas, I like to think I'm quite wise with coming up with ideas for gifts, sometimes they might be weird or silly, but something is always better than nothing. Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all of my jewelry : www.ShiningIsFree.etsy.com
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009 11:00:00 PM »

Not only do I have lists, but I have started collecting supplies for things that I want to make.  Christmas is my favorite holiday, because I love giving things that I make or redo.  So far, nobody has ever complained about my gifts, so I hope I'm on track.

And as the season gets closer, I start planning all of the baking I will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009 03:54:21 AM »

I love to make things for Christmas!  I don't have a list yet, but I need to get started.  I know that I'm making my sister a quilt in black/red/gray, but that's it.  Here's the people I need to do gifts for:

Nephew - 15 1/2yo, into goth culture and anime, awkward
Neice - 9yo, extremely girly, all hearts and unicorns and rainbows, the opposite of her mother.lol
BFF - 29yo, mom of 5 kids under the age of 12!, fulltime student, part time worker, editor of school paper, president of student government - she's just plain crazy. Smiley

My student workers - I usually have a mix of ages and men/women - they are college students at community college.  Something easy and low cost that everyone could enjoy would be nice.

My boss - she's very classy and intelligent, outspoken, loves Star Trek and African art (funny combo, eh?)

MIL & FIL - old fashioned-lost in the 60's, outdoorsy - gardens, cuts wood, etc; owns classic cars, retired

Immediate family:
daughter - 14yo, hippie style, good student, likes bright colors, reads a lot, loves music of all kinds and decades

son - 8yo, average boy, likes average boy stuff!lol

hubby - outdoorsy, country and classic rock music, likes board games instead of video games.

Ideas? Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolatte
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009 01:41:15 PM »

Hey Sevs! I was looking at your list and your boss stood out the most... please don't laugh, I had to google Star Trek to get an idea. But then I also googled African Art to get a sense of style of what it really is... the art is very colorful, and I was thinking it would be cool if you somehow did a collage or something of an african elephant in the artsy 'african art' way, AND THEN .. you know how sometimes elephants have that little towel/blanket on their backs? Well... stick a Star Trek symbol on it and there ya go! African Elephants meet Star Trek, African Art style of course!!! Grin You said she's outspoken, but hopefully she has a little sense of humor too (wouldn't want her to fire you or something from giving her a Star Trek elephant!), but I also hope this makes sense, and doesn't make you slowly want to walk away from me thinking I'm weird and crazy. Kiss

For the student workers, maybe the candy apple idea would well, not sure how many you have to make though. I know when I make some this year I'm finding red/white/green chocolate chips and sprinkles to decorate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009 03:25:38 AM »

nicolatte - *laughs* not weird at all!  I think she'd find it funny if there were a hidden Star Trek symbol in the picture.  What a great idea!  I don't know if I can pull it off, but I'll try!

Yeah, food always goes well for the students, doesn't it?  I've never done candy apples before, but they can't be that hard.  I only have to make for 5 of them and usually they're single people.  If they have kids, I usually bake cookies for their kids. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxInDocs
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 02:33:05 AM »

Sevs! your daughter need's rainbow sock poi!!

hippies love to play poi, and you can make them quite easily by stuffing a pair of ankle-socks with some rice, rolling them up, and then stuffing them in the ends of some long colourful stripy socks. www.homeofpoi.com for more info on poi and other fire-twirling disciplines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 03:14:40 AM »

Why have I never heard of these poi?!  How fun would those be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxInDocs
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 03:32:28 PM »

probably cuz they originate in new zealand...

they're lots of fun, and even more so when you get ones that you can set on fire.... probably wouldn't recommend that until you and/or your daughter have the sock one's down-pat though  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolatte
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009 09:28:10 AM »

Oh, and another thing I know I'm lots of this year is chocolate bark.. lots & lots of chocolate bark. I'm sticking with the chocolate and candy cane one, but trying to think of other kinds.. anyone try a different one and liked alot??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommacucpakes
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009 11:22:28 AM »

I always get excited about Christmas in July as well. I spent last night (after the July 4th fireworks Smiley  looking at my Gooseberry Patch Christmas books. They have so many ideas in there and there is so much stuff that doesn't just pertain to Christmas ( I found lots of great recipes for summer). Anyway, I always get gifts for my cousins kids, but they have been "pumping" kids out lately and we are up to 5 so I came across a great item in the gooseberry book. They are reindeer hooded towels and matching mitted washcloth and I think I will try to make them. I also came across pedicure sets where you get empty paint gallons decorate the outside and fill w/ pedicure stuff. I have always been one for baking gifts but I really wanted to do something this year that I can start now and be DONE come Thanksgiving so I get to really enjoy instead of baking 24/7.

Can't wait to hear what others are planning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pixie Perfect Celebrity Haircuts
How To Make Your Blowout Last Longer
Try Hair Gloss For Shiny Locks
How to Create a Twisted Bun Hairstyle
Erykah Badu Leads Celebration of Natural Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...