A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 40861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bayliss126
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2009 02:12:12 PM »

I'm new here... and this is my first post! I just graduated from college and finally have some time to craft!
I just started teaching myself to sew (after staring at my new sewing machine in the box for a year! lol) and I am loving it!

I've been crafting and handsewing for a few years, and am doing a few different types of crafts as gifts this year.

Most of my immediate family and close friends have birthdays within a couple of weeks of Christmas, so some people have two gifts listed (ie, one birthday and one Christmas).

I'm making a lot of 3D handsewing felt ornaments this year, so you'll see those listed a lot. Most of these commemorate something someone has accomplished or celebrated in the last year or so

Here we go:

In progress/Completed (Would be happy to post pics if people are interested)

DMom: Paris themed shadowbox with 3 felt ornaments (poodle, Eiffel Tower, and "Paris Je T'aime")-almost done
Best Friend(23): Set of 3D felt ornaments:
  -her college logo
  -her apt building (which is a beautiful historic building)
  -a boxing glove (she just took up boxing)
  -a donut (inside joke)
  -a suitcase with mini patches of countries she has visite(she loves travel)
  -a sushi roll (yum!)
  -a starbucks cup
  -her new job's logo
*paired with a mini tree for her first apt
Friend's Kid (2): Zebra softie
Friends Kid (4): Dog Softie
DNephew(4): Dog Softie
DStepmom Birthday: Yoga Bag

Felt ornaments for various friends/relatives:
3 wedding cakes (personalized to look like each couple's actual cake)
Sailboat
School Logos
Canadian Flag
Appalachian Trail Logo

Yet to do:
DDad(50's): Flannel PJ Pants
DStepmom(50's): Tote Bag (purple, her favorite color)
DBro (12) Flannel PJ Pants
DBro (25) Etched Beer Mugs with family initials
DSis-inLaw (23) Tokyo Tie Purse
DSis (24) Tokyo Tie Purse, Yoga Bag (bday)
Friend's Kid(12, girl): Cat Softie
DCousins (12, 14): Oragami lantern lights for room (each girl has a favorite color)
2 Cat Toys
5 Dog Toys
DSis's Boyfriend (24): Fleece Blanket with embroidered quote (the whole fam got these a few yrs back)
Friend's Kids: Bathroom Crayons (saw on this board, i believe! Shocked), might do these if I have time

More Felt ornaments to make:
Watercolor palette
Corporate Logo
Air Force Jet (x2)
Florida (x2)
Basketball
Fish
Cross
Mt. Everest

Whew, better get busy! Shocked)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009 02:15:55 PM by Bayliss126 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dnd4us
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2009 03:27:27 PM »

Well it may not be July, but I have gotten a good jump on several home made items this year.  I have posted tutorials on my blog that I wanted to share here as well check out some of my ideas:

Flower Pins: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/make-it-do-gift-felt-poinsettia/
Christmas Eve Cozies: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/christmas-eve-cozies/
A Snowman Kit: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/make-it-a-snowman-kit/
Cookies in a Jar for Santa: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/cookies-in-a-jar-for-santa/
Cozy Bed Warmer: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/make-it-do-gift-cozy-bed-warmers/

Just to name a few!

Cheers,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yzzilnoaj
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2009 06:25:35 PM »

Here we go:

In progress/Completed (Would be happy to post pics if people are interested)

DMom: Paris themed shadowbox with 3 felt ornaments (poodle, Eiffel Tower, and "Paris Je T'aime")-almost done
Best Friend(23): Set of 3D felt ornaments:
  -her college logo
  -her apt building (which is a beautiful historic building)
  -a boxing glove (she just took up boxing)
  -a donut (inside joke)
  -a suitcase with mini patches of countries she has visite(she loves travel)
  -a sushi roll (yum!)
  -a starbucks cup
  -her new job's logo
*paired with a mini tree for her first apt
Friend's Kid (2): Zebra softie
Friends Kid (4): Dog Softie
DNephew(4): Dog Softie
DStepmom Birthday: Yoga Bag

Felt ornaments for various friends/relatives:
3 wedding cakes (personalized to look like each couple's actual cake)
Sailboat
School Logos
Canadian Flag
Appalachian Trail Logo

Yet to do:
DDad(50's): Flannel PJ Pants
DStepmom(50's): Tote Bag (purple, her favorite color)
DBro (12) Flannel PJ Pants
DBro (25) Etched Beer Mugs with family initials
DSis-inLaw (23) Tokyo Tie Purse
DSis (24) Tokyo Tie Purse, Yoga Bag (bday)
Friend's Kid(12, girl): Cat Softie
DCousins (12, 14): Oragami lantern lights for room (each girl has a favorite color)
2 Cat Toys
5 Dog Toys
DSis's Boyfriend (24): Fleece Blanket with embroidered quote (the whole fam got these a few yrs back)
Friend's Kids: Bathroom Crayons (saw on this board, i believe! Shocked), might do these if I have time

More Felt ornaments to make:
Watercolor palette
Corporate Logo
Air Force Jet (x2)
Florida (x2)
Basketball
Fish
Cross
Mt. Everest

Whew, better get busy! Shocked)

I would love to see some pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green_olives
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2009 08:51:43 PM »

This year I have decided that since money... and time... are tight that I'm not going to make everyone something big, just something small for close friends and immediate family, i just don't know what that small thing is yet! I need to read more of everyone elses posts to get some ideas!

But I do know that for my kids and bf i want to have a scavanger hunt of some sort. My oldest is 3 so she will get a kick out of it, the youngest is 7 months so I don't think she will care what we do! I was thinking have a map of the house drawn out and have her go to different places and there be a small gift hidden with a clue and then at the end there be one big gift.

I also want to do a bunch of crackers? i think that's what they are called and have a different color for each person and my daughter would have to sort them out and we can all open them, maybe start a new tradition for the family!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MonK
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2009 10:00:43 AM »

thanks dancedupapillon, I've book marked that tutorial!

We decided to buy a sweatshirt for my FIL and stencil some guitars onto it. For my SIL we're making her a french memo board and putting some photos and notes into it before we ship it to her.

dnd4us -that snowman kit is so cute. We were going to make caramel popcorn or a similar treat for my husband's 5 year old cousin but if I have extra fabric lying around I might make her that instead.

We've started making the liquers with strawberry liquer, cranberry liquer and jolly rancher vodka all underway!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshinesmiles
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2009 01:53:25 PM »

Family-
Mom: penguin pants, wine trivet set for her and her close friend, scarf, basically I can think of a lot of things to make my mom and know that shell love it!
Dad: I need help here! I made him a BBQ plate for Fathers Day and he absolutely loved it! And last year for Christmas I made him a travel coffee mug with pictures of us in it.
Brother: Tied fleece blanket and a magazine subscription possibily a bulletin board. Hes a freshman in college, so if you have any other ideas, it would be appreciated!
Grandmothers: ornament and a photo book of their trip to San Diego from this summer
Extended Family: ornaments and those melted ice candles for each family (four total)
BF: a watch, tied fleece blanket with one side having a quote from our song, possibly a move-in basket since hes moving out to San Diego at the end of the year and will have a new apt/condo
BFs mom: a santa doll! She collects these and Ive been trying to find a cute, easy pattern to make her one for a more personal touch, but no such luck.
BFs dad: I have no idea. I might go in on a Wii with my boyfriend for his parents, so that could be part of it. I always get him the Hickory Farms sausage and cheese gift set
BFs sister: painted plates and possibly embroidered placemats for her kitchen

Friends-
Roommate: a quilt (those easy ones that come in the little kit thing), an apron, and a scarf
BFF: a scarf and a pirate blanket I never made her. Ive been wanting to get her a Juicy BFF necklace since she moved to Florida, but those are super expensive and I can never bring myself to buy it. Any ideas for something like that?
Former Roommate: a scarf
* I was also thinking about making a cute little clutch for all the girls and putting the scarf inside. My sewing skills really arent that great though, so Im not sure about the clutch idea
Pearl Family (sorority family): No clue. Something to do with pearls, but I dont know. I gave them all picture frames with our family picture in it last year and I attempted to make ornaments, but those didnt work out so I didn't give them. Maybe Ill attempt it again this year, but any other ideas would be awesome!

Group gifts-
Coworkers: Cake in a mug and maybe some baked goods
Family I babysit for: I babysit their 4 month old son and hes the cutest thing ever! I already have a crinkle stuffy and taggy animal that I made to give him. As for the parents, I know they love wine, so I was thinking doing another set of the wine trivets and maybe some charms. I also etch glass, so maybe doing that and just the wine charms? But I dont know what to put on the glasses
Sorority sisters that live in the house: I always buy the foam kits and make them cute little things for their doors
Sorority advisors: cake in a mug as well
Closer sorority sisters: probably cake in a mug. They have $1 mugs around this time of year at Michaels, but Ill see how many I have to make before investing

Wow. Just looking at this makes me tired! But feedback is much appreciated!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts a Year for 2010: I have to recount...
barbee
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2009 02:56:12 PM »

Everyone's lists look great!

This is what I have so far, mostly done but a few here and there need to get finished
Husband-dont' know not sure if I'll do anything. I finally finished him a blanket that I've been working on but I gave it to him early because I was so excited!
Daughter (10)-scarf/hoodie thing, slippers, fingerless gloves, blanket, headbands and a harry potter monster book with all the spells and a wand
Son(5)-memory game of pictures of the family and printed on fabric, crocheted football and baseball, crocheted gun, spiderman slippers, some stenciled shirts, apron, blanket and wand (to match sisters)
Son(5 months at Christmas)-fabric rings, felt name book, fabric blocks, crocheted bowling set, blanket, crochet balls, and crochet socks

Mom-crocheted snowflake scarf (inspired by one here on crafster), sweatshirt that I modified (cut up the front) and then put the kids handprints on, she is always cold! and I printed out pictures of each of my kids on the day they came home and put it in a frame
Dad-some magnets my kids made, golf pen holder, bought water canteen
Brother+his girlfriend-Apron for each of them (don't really know the girlfriend so just crossing my fingers), candles, etched mug for him, and then I got at the dollar store a loaf pan and going to do a beer bread mix
MIL-Flower Pens for her desk in a pot, pajama pants in farm print and then a shirt embroidered with her farmville character (from facebook, she loves farmville!)
FIL-etched mug (not sure what else)
SIL-(just got her first apartment)-apron, pot holders(bought but I embellished to match the apron), magnets, blanket and stenciled t-shirt
Other MIL-pot holders
FIL-a copy of their family crest in a frame

THIS ROCKS   Logged
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2009 07:26:11 PM »

I think I have it all figured out now...

Husband: everything he wants is so expensive...possibly a photo album of shexy pictures of me..slippers...if I can get his parents to go halvsies, a playstation 3....anyone have any kickarse Transformers crafts? I already knitted him the reversible hat. This is an amazing piece I could probably pull off: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=110377985586
Transformers embroidered pillowcase, t-shirts, man cowl. crocheted Max doll from Sam and Max, altered hoodie to look like a Star Trek uniform, tiny sculpey Max for his car.
Best Friend: Giant cowl and elf slippers.
Best Friend's family:
Cinnamon soap, food items, bird feeder wreath, Red Riding Hood playset for little sister (6) to consist of a hood for her and a wolf mask for whoever she ropes into playing, along with a basket and maybe a copy of the book, felt cake. Kitty hat. Flower headbands.
Dad: scented candle I will make, a Beatles book I got at the library book sale, and some burned music my husband will pick. Dad is really a hopeless romantic and likes a lot of girly stuff, especially candles, roses, walks on the beach and the ilk.

Mom: Mossy Cowl http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/13992.aspx, locket with pictures of family, framed fancy picture of me and my husband. Maybe embroidered quote?
Sister (19) Mossy cowl and tissue paper pom poms to hang in her room. http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/pom-poms-and-luminarias Also I bought one of those magic hair net thingies for her. Picture of husband and me.

Brother (25) stenciled geeky shirt, Jayne hat

In-laws:
MIL: handwarmers and mossy cowl/possibly cornbag/candle/crocheted snowman http://www.roxycraft.com/crochet_bo_snowman.htm?
FIL: possible experience certificate of some kind/movie. He constantly buys far-too-expensive gifts for his family and has few interests...intimidating to buy for. Likes woodworking and movies, old Warner Brothers cartoons. Maybe a stenciled shirt with Papa Bear on it.
SIL (16): my husband is crocheting her a hyperbolic plane scarf
BIL (14): stenciled shirt

Aunt, Uncle and Grandmother on mom's side: food items (rich and minimalist. therefore do not want objects) tin can candles.

Aunt and grandma on dad's side: scented candles
Girl cousin: flower headbands and barrettes
 Boss and mentor: Cowls.
Other coworkers: food items. Unless there is a secret santa.

Ornaments for cousin's ornament exchange:
Yeti
knitted mouse
snowman head

Food items:

peppermint and dreamsicle bark
candy apples
hazelnut fudge
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 07:50:11 AM by myloveasdeep » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
wanderluster

give a hoot- don't pollute!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2009 07:59:34 PM »

I am hoping that by posting my list here I will motivate myself to GET IT DONE!

Mama: I'm going to decorate a cigar box with scrapbook paper and fill it with starbucks gift cards, lip balm and other little things, and reasons why I love her/ memories from when I was little. We have not historically gotten along very well and have lately been building a better relationship so I think this will help bring us closer and show her I really DO love her. TO DO: I need to look up some inspiration photos before I head to the scrapbook store so I don't go crazy in the store and decorate the outside. I'm slowly working on the list of things and will write them out nicely on cardstock I have in my stash.

Stepdad: I never have any idea of what to make for him so he gets store-bought stuff. I'm buying him a giant gummy bear (I'd like to buy this one: http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm but it's too expensive so I'm getting the smaller one on a stick) because he loves gummy bears.

Baby Brother M: He's 6 and one of my best friends (does that make me a dork haha?) I'll be making him A. a flip book (you know the ones that you can flip the top, middle, or bottom flaps to mix and match different bodies?) with his photo on one page and then different bodies (alligator, firefighter, star wars) he can mix and match with. TO DO: Find a good basic full body picture of him standing up. Draw out the various bodies and photocopy onto sturdy cardstock and then figure out how to bind it.
I will also be moving back home this year to finish school and save up money, so I'm making my family keep it a secret and I will announce it to him with a coupon book of fun things we can do together since I'll be around! (Extra sappy story: When the family was campaigning for me to move back he offered to give me his bed and said he would sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag Cheesy ) TO DO: Finish list of coupon ideas (have any ideas?), Draw them out on sturdy cardstock with doodles around the edges and figure out how I'm going to bind them.

Baby Brother T: He's 2 and I call him the bully baby. He will steal your food, toys, clothes and then climb all over you to give you a kiss. I have NO IDEA what to make him. He doesn't sit still and mostly likes to steal his brothers toys lol. We like to play with those big plastic blocks or cars together so I was thinking of making him some knitted blocks but I don't know if that is too baby-ish? Help? TO DO: THINK OF THE ENTIRE GIFT!

Aunt: She's having her first baby! I'll definitely make her a baby blanket but I think I'll save that for a shower present because I want to save up for some really nice yarn. Any other quick or easy ideas? TO DO: Ummmm EVERYTHING!

That's it for now, I have some friends to make things for but I'm focusing on my familia first.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009 11:04:44 PM by wanderluster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...and what I have seen is beautiful."

http://themargaritaglassishalffull.blogspot.com
barbee
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2009 03:24:12 PM »

wanderluster, do you sew? if so there are some great ideas for babies, like cloth rings so they can chew on, maybe some bibs or some balls so they can throw you can put stuff in them to make them crinkle or a bell to make a sound. Or maybe put together a little book with family pictures make it out of fabric and vinyl or even just that new fabric that can be printed on and make it into a book.
for the 2 year old-my son loves balls that can be thrown inside, like footballs made out of cloth or yarn, or since you knit (not sure if they have these, I crochet sorry) but maybe colored fish with a fishing pole so he can learn his colors, or some sort of shape thing with felt to learn his shapes? I have boys and they love the rough and tumble stuff so anything that isn't too breakable and can be thrown, I think the block idea would be great. Or a memory game out of either fabric or lids and use stuff he likes as the items to find.
Hope some of that was helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Front Desk Training with Rocky Vitelli
Movement, Body and Style with Daniel Naumovski
How to Have Hair Like Paris Hilton
How to Have Hair Like Jessica Alba
Products for Your Hair Type
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...