A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 39336 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2009 06:39:05 PM »

This Christmas, for me, it will be a combination of reuse/recycle and crafting.

My kiddos - fleece blankets for both, tutu for daughter, bleach pen tees for both, learn to read books from thrift stores, Initial pillows

My parents - buying garden pavers from garden store, will have kids paint on them, seal them to make stepping stones for parents gardens; downloaded Photo Story to make dvds for them

My female friends and family - Rapunzal scarves, second hand cookbooks, jewelry, jewelry holders from second hand finds; prayer journals; Christmas Scent liquid potpourri

My male friends and family - live fish in personalized etched containers, bleached tees I have no idea, will not have time to do the tees; may just buy them hats and gloves and put them in a soda bottle

Other people's kiddos - bleached tees, second hand books, personalized book marks, tutus, personalized binders (second hand) covered in fabric, ribbon, yarn, etc; tutus, personalized name books, personalized pillows

Teachers - cookie sheet magnetic boards (I plan to use used/second hand cookie sheets from thrift)
http://cuts4scrapbooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/altered-cookie-sheet-magnet-board.html
Decided to give them Christmas Scent Liquid Potpouuri andhand towels with gift cards
and diy dry erase boards
http://makeitandloveit.blogspot.com/2009/03/picture-frame-dry-erase-board.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnydays914
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2009 08:22:59 PM »

I am so excited for Christmas! Our friends are making bets on how soon the Christmas tree comes out in our house. I would like it to be up already but DH says not until after Thanksgiving. We shall see...

Our gifts will be a mix of store bought and crafted. We've got a strict budget again this year for multiple reasons but mainly because things can really get out of hand if you don't pay attention to

Mom: Has been lamenting all her home stuff from their wedding is getting old so I've already bought her new oven mits but that isn't enough for the kind of mom she is: super busy (there are 8 of us including spouses), thrifty, clever, likes being outside in the sunshine. GREAT housewife/mom.

Dad: No freakin clue. He's so hard to buy for. He is an engineer who likes to work with wood, watch movies and read in his free time.

Big brother: Another hard one. Works stock in a grocery store, still in college to become something (we have no idea after this many years), console gamer (Zelda, Mario, RPGs etc)

Brother's wife: Music teacher and student. I think I might make her something like the cookie sheet magnet board for her classroom or office/voice lesson room in their house.

Little Brother: Also hard to shop for. Works at the same grocery store as other brother. Constantly fixing his cars. He owns a 198? Fiero and a 1965 Mustang... so, something car related? For his birthday last year he got a car cleaning kit (bucket, soap, sponges, rags etc)

Little Sister 1: Hippie, earthy, into African art and recycling. She's getting an ipod from my parents so I've bought her ipod socks from Dollar Tree (I heart that store!) as well as a recycled waste basket. I think I might try to figure out something small/inexpensive relating to African art.

Little Sister 2: Pretty darn girly. Also getting an ipod (hence, more ipod socks). She recently repainted her room and is starting to get teenager-y with photos all over so I want to make her a french memo board to hold all her middle school treasures. Perhaps wall letters a la thankyoulocust http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=213298.0

Little Sister 3: Curly hair ribbons from http://www.instructables.com/id/Curlykorker-Hair-Bows/. I finished two sets today. I'd like to make a few more. She doesn't really play with toys but LOVES small plastic animals and stuffed animals. I don't know if I would ever be allowed to visit if I got her another animal though Grin

DH: Several movies, including two seasons of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I think I want to make him a Bloo plushie for his office. He is a photographer, graphic designer, works from home.

Aunts and Uncles: Getting either a copy of the family photo we took last year at Christmas because Grandma passed away this year and it was the last photo we took together.

MIL: No idea. She collects EVERYTHING and there is almost no room in the house so I'd like to figure out something useful that isn't going to end up in a pile somewhere collecting dust.

FIL: No ideas either. Mechanic, not too personable. I think last year we got him one of those HUGE tv remotes and that was it. Even his own son has no ideas.

Thankfully, the list stops there. There are some times, like this, where I am really thankful DH is an only child!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2009 04:21:10 AM »

I love Foster's too. I think your DH would love a Bloo plushie. Smiley

For LS2, you could try a memory board to matche her new room color for her pictures and special bits.

For LS1, I think you could find some really cute beads for a necklace. During the 60's, some hippies wore a pouch (approx. 2"x 3") around their neck on a thong. I don't want to know what they put in their pouch back then...don't want to know either, but you could fill one with trinkets that would appeal to LS2 specifically, kwim?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissFrosty
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2009 05:11:26 AM »

Hi - I've just started on Craftster and have gotten a bunch of ideas while surfing the forums=).  Grin Grin

Am a little late though this year because there's so much to do in Uni. But have decided though that my family will get all homemade precies this year. They love this stuff!  Grin

I'm getting my list together and it sound something like this...: My mom and sister are a big crafting, knitting maniacs and I saw those christmas yarn balls and also some hand painted ones and I think they will just love them, for my dad I think I will paint a painting of our family home where my grandparents live and my greatgreat grandfather built and for my brother a painting of his cat, which he just loves Cheesy. I think that I will try to craft some christmas stuff for my boyfriends family aswell, as they are taking us to sweden for christmas and I just have to do something for them to show my thanks..  It's a long list so I just have to get started soon... Shocked.

what to you think about giving one's family homemade crafted stuff? Huh

-
just love this wepsite!=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do you know what I like about Christmas? It's not the giving, it's not the recieving - it's the loving! - Merry Christmas" Garfield
cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2009 11:38:54 AM »

what to you think about giving one's family homemade crafted stuff? Huh

I think it's awesome. Most of my family and Hubby's family are getting hand made gifts. In other than books for Bear (my two year old daughter) both girls are only getting hand made gifts for Christmas this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayamaree
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2009 09:48:42 AM »

sunnydays914 - for your MIL who has everything an no place to put them, about about a candle or food-gift that way she can use it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jl409
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2009 07:15:15 PM »

Budget is tight and so this will be my first COMPLETE homemade Christmas!! Which means that everyone is getting something homemade!!

Parents- Well, I am going to attempt to make rag quilt! I've only made one quilt in my life!! They just moved and my dad's "workshop" is actually their beloved dog Sammy's room which is small room attached to the garage that she can go in and out of from the backyard. They already have decorative plaques up in dad's "workshop" that are dog related so I thought I'd add to them by making a Sammie shrine Smiley. I also thought I'd make a dog draft exhauster. Here is the link: http://www.craftycrafty.tv/2007/09/how_to_make_your_own_dog_or_sn_1.html

2 best friends- cupcake oven mitts and if I have time.. embroidered tea towels

Co-workers- I thought I'd attempt to make homemade apple butter

Okay- here is what i need help with and need advice !!! My boyfriend and his parents. I thought about embroidered tea towels but I'm not sure how much the BF's dad would like those Smiley !! So then I thought I'd homebake some bread or sweets.. but his mom is diabetic!! Any recipes or advice for diabetics??

Boyfriend- no idea!!! He has a lot of interests but he is so guyish he would never go for certain things like a remote control holder, etc. He likes footballl (no favorite team though), loves watching music videos on Utube, loves Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. He LOOOOVES the Rolling Stones. Any ideas?!! He works in logistics and has an odd schedule- from 6pm-7am so his sleep schedule is very off.

Boyfriend's sister- drawer sachets and a lavendar eye pillow

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hlillie
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2009 07:52:49 PM »

For your boyfriend, how about a Curb your Enthusiasm messenger bag. Another craftster TMLgirl made a Arrested Develope messenger bag and it was faboulous, here is the link.   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324251.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
{faye}
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2009 11:57:18 AM »

I'm trying to design some kind of motivational print that can fit in an A4 or A6 envelope so I can send them along with my Christmas cards. Something along the lines of those 'Keep Calm and Carry On' posters that will look cute tacked to a bulletin board or framed on a desk, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graciechan
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2009 03:07:10 PM »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I love christmas. I am planning this year, as I do every year, to give a mixture of homemade and store-bought gifts. Mostly for homemade things I give baked goods (Christmas cake, candy etc) and stuff I make in craft sessions at school. However since I'm not in appropriate classes this semester I'll have to do the dirty work at home. *Sigh* so much effort! At least my relations will get a break from my godawful (If charmingly rustic...) wood and metalwork Tongue. So!

Mum: I'm not sure yet. She likes anything handmade I give her so I'm just waiting for the perfect idea.

Dad: Oh help. He likes chocolate and his DSLR. Why are dads so difficult?

Brother 1. : Again, I don't know. He likes pretty much everything, usually really easy to find gifts for, but this year I'm devoid of inspiration.

Brother 2: Probably clothes for his bear or something boyish, or spy themed. Aged 9.

Boy cousin: Just a small token of my affection, I don't give him a huge present as my brothers tend to swap "larger" gifts with him. I don't know tho! He likes silly old fashioned practical jokes and spies. We're a very English family haha.

Girl cousin: All sorted. Wahoo! normally I'm completely stumped as to what to give her, but I've found something this year.

Granny: Some sort of memento of our eccentric family's fun times we all spend together. Not sure quite how to present it though.

Aunt: very creative person who makes films and drinks coffee out of a huuuge mug. But that's what I gave her last year! I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to give her. She has very specific tastes about which art materials she likes to use so I'd be nervous about giving a decorated sketchbook or something like that.

Uncle: Something small and not expensive/ time intensive, as he will undoubtedly leave it behind at the end of the holiday. He likes reading so perhaps a nice bookmark or something.

Friends: baked goods and candy. I like the stuff sweets4ever makes for her husband's work team, so deffo pretzel sticks in choc and the like XD

Grandpa and his partner: Baked goods. along with something I have made... Don't know what yet though.

Oh help! I must get going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
How to Create a Gold Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...